GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Regarding CSS ..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/12/02 at 00:15
Regular
Could someone have a look at:

http://www.aowl45.dsl.pipex.com/GTA

In Internet Explorer 6, it appears fine, but in Netscape 7, it doesn't.

I thought that CSS was compatible in Netscape 7 ... was I incorrect???

Thanks
Sun 29/12/02 at 17:11
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Yeah, I felt like that a few times ... "to hell with CSS, bring back tables".

But now I look at it (no comments about the design ... Tyla ;) ) it's come out as I would like it to, which made it all worth while ... plus, I tried that site tester thing on echoecho.com which said my site loading times were perfect :).
Sun 29/12/02 at 16:06
Regular
"relocated"
Looks good in Mozilla 1.2.1 and IE6 for me.

I've been fiddling around with CSS for the past few weeks. I've had the same three column layout all the way through, but had to rewrite the stylesheet about five times. It looked good, but it completely collapsed in a small window - very unprofessional, even for an amateur. I was about to give up and use some tables when I found this site: www.saila.com/usage/layouts/

min-width has saved my life :)
Sun 29/12/02 at 12:29
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
I think I may have it :)

I looks good in Explorer 6 and Netscape 7 for me.

Would you mind having a quick look to see if it looks inline for you???

http://www.gta-vice-city.co.uk

However, I was given a screen shot of what someone else was seeing, which doesn't see quite right: http://tomislav.echoechoplus.com/images/test4.gif

Thanks for all the help you've given me with this.

Oh, and congratulations on the imminent arrival of your son.
Sat 28/12/02 at 19:03
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Well, after a little alterting. I've managed to get everything as I'd
> like it ... appart from the position, again in Netscape, the links are
> just a bit out of line compaired to Internet Explorer.

Looking good (in the CSS sense not design sense!;)) Looks fine in IE6 and NS6.22. You'll always hav some problems between the two browsers, until they finally get it together and go with compliancy and not their own agendas. Keep playing, you'll soon know what does what and where.
Sat 28/12/02 at 19:03
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Actually, on closer look, it appears as though the links line up correctly, and it is infact the logo at the top and the 'Main' area which are positioning lower than intended.

Would this have someting to do with me refering to the Logo and Main areas with '

' rather than '

' ???
Sat 28/12/02 at 18:59
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Well, after a little alterting. I've managed to get everything as I'd like it ... appart from the position, again in Netscape, the links are just a bit out of line compaired to Internet Explorer.
Sat 28/12/02 at 01:39
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Oh, and just to add, both browsers appear to be respecting their z-index positions as required.
Sat 28/12/02 at 01:36
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Cheers for all that Tyla.

I had a play about with the a.whatever:link stuff, but ending up with my links being chucked around everywhere, so rather than having an indevidulal:

a.whatever:link
a.whatever:hover
a.whatever:viseted

... for every link, I thought I'd just have a.whatever to represent all the subs to Links, 'hover', 'viseted' etc. Is that acceptable??

If you take a look at http://www.chrisjhaig.co.uk/GTA/ (the CSS file is called 'Style_Sheet.css') you'll see the site I'm playing about with. In Internet Explorer, it all looks ok to me. you'll see the links line up within each box, and the white background is present when required. However, in Netscape, you'll notice the links and the white backgrounds line up together correctly, but not within their box, but rather over the top line of the box it's suppose to be in and the bottom of the box above.

Like you said "You just haven't quite got it sorted out yet...", so no doubt you may see a simple mistake regarding my code, but it's a mistake I can't see, and am lost as to why the position is incorrect in such a way on the two different browsers?
Fri 27/12/02 at 18:18
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
cjh wrote:
> Well, from what I can gather .... Netscape is crap at CSS :).
>
> I figured out that for some reaons, Netscape doens't like CSS reffered to in Links, like , and decides to position this incorrectly. However, if I use

Customizing links are easy. You just haven't quite got it sorted out yet...

standard link declarations = a:link, a:visited & a:hover
on top of this you can have a.anythingyouwant:link, a.anythingyouwant:visited & a.anythingyouwant:hover and just decaler the class as "anythingyouwant" in the so for side menu you could have:

a.sidenav:link
a.sidenav:hover
a.sidenav:visited

and delare different styles for these as opposed to your normal a:link... I hope this is making sense.

> I've followed your details as you said Tyla, but I still have problems
> with Netscape .... do you know of any site, maybe within Netspaces
> Site itself where I might be able to find out why Netscape doesn't
> like my code?? or maybe if you are able to spot my mistake(s), could
> you highlight my error and point me in the right direction???

Techdev @ netscape are excellent for CSS problems in NS, but as I mentioned before, Gekko is one of the most compliant CSS engines out there along with Opera. If it's not going to well in NS7 your doing something wrong. I'll have a dig about and see what i can find.

Sat 21/12/02 at 21:29
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Thanks for your help so far.

It now looks better in Netscape, in that the links now don't just appear at the bottom. They do, however, appear in the wrong place. Rather than being in the middle of the boxes, they are over the top line ... and I can't see why.

I've got rid of the underscores, changed the big P's and A's to little ones, and removed the numbers from the names.

Any ideas???

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.