GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Influence of Games"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/12/02 at 20:03
Regular
Thers not a day that goes by that i don't read in the paper or on the net about some kid playing a game then doing something stupid or someone complaining about a games content. I admit i'd love to do some of the stuff that i've seen in games and i'm a mature adult and i'm not about to buy a gun and start blasting things and people. Just imagine if for one day you could be a bank robber, a government agent or an assassin.

What some people are forgeting though is games are fictional and not to be taken seriously, they are there for our enjoyment and so we can do the things we'd never dream of doing and not suffer the consequences. All it takes though is one little kid to do something stupid then people blow their top and accuse the games manufacturers and suppliers for what they have done but infact it's the parents sole responsibility to control what there children play.

I'm not a father yet but i am an uncle and my nephew who is 3 already plays Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City but through carful teachings he does know what is real (he's also pretty good at it, he can't do the mission but he can drive) and if parents do keep an eye on there children then the games companys will be free from blame. It reminds me of the saying 'guns don't kill people people kill people' it's the same case here 'games don't kill people, easily influenced people kill people'

I would like to know what other peoples views are on the influence of games, are they the same as mine or does anyone see faults in mine. Please feel free to say anything.
Fri 20/12/02 at 20:03
Regular
"I see you"
Thers not a day that goes by that i don't read in the paper or on the net about some kid playing a game then doing something stupid or someone complaining about a games content. I admit i'd love to do some of the stuff that i've seen in games and i'm a mature adult and i'm not about to buy a gun and start blasting things and people. Just imagine if for one day you could be a bank robber, a government agent or an assassin.

What some people are forgeting though is games are fictional and not to be taken seriously, they are there for our enjoyment and so we can do the things we'd never dream of doing and not suffer the consequences. All it takes though is one little kid to do something stupid then people blow their top and accuse the games manufacturers and suppliers for what they have done but infact it's the parents sole responsibility to control what there children play.

I'm not a father yet but i am an uncle and my nephew who is 3 already plays Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City but through carful teachings he does know what is real (he's also pretty good at it, he can't do the mission but he can drive) and if parents do keep an eye on there children then the games companys will be free from blame. It reminds me of the saying 'guns don't kill people people kill people' it's the same case here 'games don't kill people, easily influenced people kill people'

I would like to know what other peoples views are on the influence of games, are they the same as mine or does anyone see faults in mine. Please feel free to say anything.
Sat 21/12/02 at 00:42
Regular
"I see you"
Well at least someone agree's with me out there and VenomByte thanks for the grown-up reply. I was actually expecting to get childish remarks.

I do agree with you 100% about the kids, it's human nature to fight and hurt each other. I know i've done stuff like that, but it's always going to be an issue people will still blame games for kids bad behaviour. I can't wait to see what some parents say about The Getaway, it's more realistic than GTA 3 and i know it'll cause some controversy.

The only trouble with the games thought is they are so easily available to kids unlike movies, i've seen kids buy 18 rated games before and you can tell their not 18. I think people assume because it's a game it's safe for their child but if they are easily influenced by things there will be trouble.

Anyway thanks again for your reply.
Sat 21/12/02 at 15:57
Regular
"bWo > You"
I'm with you too, because I'm sick of some sad old people saying that games are the root of all evil, and that we should be content with toy trains and a small Scalextric track. To them I say...go home. Just go back to your little houses in little England, with your little friends and little glasses of brandy, and let real people get on with what they want to do. I'm afraid we don't live an totalitarian state anymore, and you cannot tell us what is good for us.

It's time for these guys to wake up and smell the coffee. Games do not have these effects on everyone. What about films? WHAT ABOUT BOOKS? What can possibly be more graphically harrowing than a book? Christ, the possibilities with mere words. The author can tell the readers EXACTLY how the deranged clown is slowing tearing the skin etc. as has been done before. And yet, we don't hear anything from the morality brigade about those, do we? I've had it up to my back teeth with these people, so until the next technological advancement arrives, we're either going to have to ignore these people, or do something about them. What will you do?
Sat 21/12/02 at 20:59
Regular
"we escape....."
I think the journalist and the modern day parents are just too ignorant about games they treat it too much as a kiddy thing but the point is that today games attract to wider audiences and to do that they need to create more games that entertain adults and it's only natural that kids would want these more "mature" games. But it's the parents own fault for letting them have them i mean if they want their children to steer clear of these games then they should be less ignorant in knowing wat their children want.
Wed 25/12/02 at 16:39
Regular
"I see you"
I totally forgot about this post, but it's about time the media and people stopped blaming games for violence and stuff. it's about time people actually faced up to the fact that another human being is capable of killing another one in cold blood without even playing games (some people are just evil). Then trying to cover up what they've done.
Mon 30/12/02 at 18:58
"griever"
you would have thought that games could in the minority reduce violence think about it if you spend 5 hours of tekken and you get entirely sick of it would you then go out and do the same in real life just like in real life after a fight do you really want to beat someone else up.
think about it.
you know that school shooting when the police found mortal kombat doom etc in his room they assumed that is what caused it but then they found out he was just a phychopath that makes me angry
Mon 30/12/02 at 19:57
Regular
"I see you"
Yeah well it'll always be this way until poeple fully understand games.
Mon 30/12/02 at 20:33
"griever"
maybe if we took over a tv station and told everyone great idea ya

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.