GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Has Science ruined the magic of life?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/12/02 at 16:47
Regular
I was helping my Dad clean out his loft today - a day of work :-)

Anyway, I stumbled across some old school books of mine. Saw how crappy my handwriting was, and strangely remebered some of the lessons I had written someof the work in. It brought back a lot of memories, especially the face of a girl called Emily, as I hadher writing in my book.
I've ust got back from Dad's, and when I was there I was thumbing through an old Science book - and I started to notice howmuch Science has ruined everything.

For example, I was looking at an exercise about cars, air resistance, friction and pressure, which was trying to look at how a car moved and how the forces had to be unequal for a change in speed.

And then it doomed on me how much Science is ruining life. I don't care how a car moves forward, I don't care how it competes with Air Resistance, I don't care about air Molecules bouncing off my car, and more hitting the car the faster I go. I want to sit in my car, and drive with the magic of having little idea of how it manages to move.

That was probably a bad example - but then, If I hadn't learnt about all this higgery-jiggery, I would think that the way a car worked was that you turn the engine on, and the harder you press down the accelerator, the faster the wheel spins and the faster the car goes. I now have a horrible feeling in my mind - like a child who has just been told that Santa is a lie. The magic has gone, and I see things the technical way.

Science is the scrooge of education.
Tue 17/12/02 at 16:47
Regular
I was helping my Dad clean out his loft today - a day of work :-)

Anyway, I stumbled across some old school books of mine. Saw how crappy my handwriting was, and strangely remebered some of the lessons I had written someof the work in. It brought back a lot of memories, especially the face of a girl called Emily, as I hadher writing in my book.
I've ust got back from Dad's, and when I was there I was thumbing through an old Science book - and I started to notice howmuch Science has ruined everything.

For example, I was looking at an exercise about cars, air resistance, friction and pressure, which was trying to look at how a car moved and how the forces had to be unequal for a change in speed.

And then it doomed on me how much Science is ruining life. I don't care how a car moves forward, I don't care how it competes with Air Resistance, I don't care about air Molecules bouncing off my car, and more hitting the car the faster I go. I want to sit in my car, and drive with the magic of having little idea of how it manages to move.

That was probably a bad example - but then, If I hadn't learnt about all this higgery-jiggery, I would think that the way a car worked was that you turn the engine on, and the harder you press down the accelerator, the faster the wheel spins and the faster the car goes. I now have a horrible feeling in my mind - like a child who has just been told that Santa is a lie. The magic has gone, and I see things the technical way.

Science is the scrooge of education.
Tue 17/12/02 at 16:48
Regular
Don't worry Asher.

If you take this red pill, when you wake up tomo...
Tue 17/12/02 at 16:58
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Science gives us the tools to understand and manipulate our surroundings to suit our way of life. If thats ruining the magic of it, then so be it.
Tue 17/12/02 at 17:00
Regular
"bit of a brain"
All you need is a copy of Brass Eye Science Episode.
"this man is thought to be incubatig over 40 livers"
"clouds turn upside down, and shoot their rays upwards"
"he was given a stomach full of shoulders"
Tue 17/12/02 at 18:38
"Darth Vader 3442321"
I can picture the scene:

Daniels "now that's magic!"

Hawkings "No-you-had-a-n--other-card -up-your-sleeve-thus- the-illus-ion-is-a-deception-nothing-more"

Daniels "f**k off!"
Tue 17/12/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Asher D wrote:
> Science is the scrooge of education.

No, science is a gift. Without science, we would never have walked on the moon, we wouldn't know how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The periodic table wouldn't exist, elements wouldn't be known to man, hec, we probably wouldn't be this advance without science.

Sceince is the building blocks off life. Everything and everything has science behind it. When manipulated, that's where the real fireworks begin. Science in schools is responisble for lab fires, gas leaks, throwing things through a bunsen flame in the hope it catches fire. Science can be fun. Science IS fun.
Tue 17/12/02 at 20:59
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Magic is simply science we do not understand, if something seems magic then it is becausea person does not know how it works, and nothing more.

David Blaine, for example, does not do magic, he does things which most people cannot explain, but there is science to it, as there is in everything.

~~Belldandy~~
Tue 17/12/02 at 22:45
Without science you wouldn't have the car, and therefore wouldn't be able to think about science ruining your enjoyment of the car. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, especially at this time of year :)
Tue 17/12/02 at 22:46
Regular
"Not so distant"
Blank wrote:
> Without science you wouldn't have the car, and therefore wouldn't be
> able to think about science ruining your enjoyment of the car. Don't
> look a gift horse in the mouth, especially at this time of year :)

haha i like it blank
Tue 17/12/02 at 22:49
Regular
"Not so distant"
Blank wrote:

> ...which is where I come with the "we never walked on the
> moon" debate. Well....we didn't. Or if we did, the photos given
> to us by NASA are fakes. There's lots and lots of proof.

man not on the moon? people can make you believe anything with facts and figures and besides, 51% of statistics are made up

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.