GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"One European Language?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/12/02 at 15:17
Regular
I'm having to do a report and language and translation within the EU. One of the ways of solving the problem of having to translate technical documents would be for eveyone to speak the same language.

What do you think of that? Would you be happy to abandon English and learn a new Euro-Language?

Or would you prefer to make everyone else speak English, as they all learn it as a second language anyway?

Failing that, do you think that all countries should keep their respective tongues and we carry on as we are at the moment?
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:17
Regular
I'm having to do a report and language and translation within the EU. One of the ways of solving the problem of having to translate technical documents would be for eveyone to speak the same language.

What do you think of that? Would you be happy to abandon English and learn a new Euro-Language?

Or would you prefer to make everyone else speak English, as they all learn it as a second language anyway?

Failing that, do you think that all countries should keep their respective tongues and we carry on as we are at the moment?
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:18
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Somebody tried to make up one once

It failed miserably

Better chance of building a translator thing, like in Star Trek
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:19
Regular
A mass marketed Babel fish would be far easier on everybody.
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:26
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I found that made up language in a Modern Studies book...

I took out some saying like 'hello' etc

And only talked in it for thr rest of the day

Can't remember a thing except people looking at me
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:36
Regular
L337ist wrote:
> A mass marketed Babel fish would be far easier on everybody.

Yup, but they are rubbish.

What I was trying to get at with the question was whether you'd be annoyed if someone said "Right, you have to learn a new language now. Everyone in the EU will now sound the same."

Or whether your accent/language meant something to you and you wanted to keep it?
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:39
Regular
"Excommunicated"
A more fair and efficient way is for each country to learn the basics in popular languages:

English
French
Spanish
German

And you need to start them young when you are just learning English... that's what they do in other countries... not start when you're 12 and struggle.

It would never work... very few people could just learn a language like that.
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:40
Regular
Ah, but we're not looking at it in terms of basics. I have to look at it in the context of technical documentation which has a lot of jargon included in it.

For that kind of thing, automated translators are a bit poo, and it's easy to misinterpret it when it's translated straight from, say, English in to French.
Tue 17/12/02 at 15:48
Regular
"Excommunicated"
We should just stay as we are I guess but put more emphasis on educated different languages to kids

Can't see any other way unless a super Star Trek thing
Tue 17/12/02 at 16:14
Regular
"Hmmm....."
Make them all speak English.

But I know they would be asking the same thing and then they would be saying

"Argh, maken themenen speake Allemagne!"

"Ah, oui oui, mon froggy est still alivé! They moost parle en Francais!"

"Jurgen splurgen flargen speaken en Sveeeden"

"vbjkb hijnb fb eihe fnarrr"

"They must-a speaky like-a its-a meeee, Italiano"

Bah
Tue 17/12/02 at 16:24
Regular
Yes, I would be annoyed.

As would almost everyone. It's too late to implement a universal language, which would invariably be English as it's the most widely spoken one.

Although if we all sounded the same singing and talking with accents would lose their effect.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.