GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The best Christmas films in the world - ever!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/12/02 at 13:14
Regular
It's getting near to that time of year again, the time when telly turns trashy and you expect the next run of The Great Escape or Wizard Of Oz, so what Christmas movies are you going to watch to get you in the mood for that turkey and the visit from great aunty Elsie this year?

6) The Santa Clause

Plot
Tim (tool man Taylor) Allen is a divorced father who finds that he has killed Santa while trying to impress his son. In his jacket he finds a note which tells him that he must take Santa's place. Not really believing it, he forgets all about it until he wakes up the next morning with a fluffy white beard and beer belly. More hilarity ensues as he finds himself learning to be Santa and at the same time trying not to lose his visits from his son.

Verdict
It's corny, it's full of schmaltz, so it's also perfect for Christmas viewing and yes, it will get you in the mood.

Score: 4 out of 10

5) Miracle on 34th Street

Plot
A little girl who doesn’t believe in Santa finds magic in a department store Santa Claus who believes he is the real thing. It’s a heart-warming tale (so it is) that gives us the message that we shouldn’t lose the magic we have. Both versions are great, with the new one having the benefits of special effects and the old one the better acting.

Verdict
A very warm Christmas film that could be a little too sickly sweet for some, but still remains a classic in either version.

Score: 6 out of 10

4) Santa Claus the Movie

Plot
Dudley Moore as an elf? Well, it had to happen and though Duds doesn't get the subtle humour of his other films, he still shines in this one. He plays an elf that loves inventing, but after Santa dismisses his self-powered sleigh and magic flying candy inventions he decides to go it alone and approaches a big and (you guessed it) evil corporation to sell his stuff to children.

Verdict
This film is really a classic and still stands the test of time. Moore is great as the innocent elf just trying to do right and you'll laugh out loud at some of the results.

Score: 7 out of 10

3) It’s a wonderful Life

Plot
George Bailey is a husband and father who finds himself fed up with life. It’s only when Clarence, a friendly angel, shows him what his life has meant to others that he sees the full picture.

Verdict.

Simple, yet very effective, this film has possibly some of the best shot scenes and best acting of any film, let alone Christmas. The problem is that it can be a bit too sickly sweet for some. Still up there with the best though.

Score: 8 out of 10

2) Scrooged

Plot
Frank Cross has a TV station to run. Not only that, it’s also Christmas Eve and he needs to have the most viewers on his network. Cross will stop at nothing (including stapling the antlers on hamsters to make them look like reindeer!) to get what he wants and knocks everyone, including the only love of his life, out of the way. In classic scrooge style, he soon finds himself visited by three ghosts…

Verdict.
Bill Murray is just perfect for this role, he oozes that Scrooge charm and is equally good at the frightened look as the character revisits his awful past and even more awful future. It’s the ultimate modern version of A Christmas Carol.

Score: 9 out of 10

1) Muppet Christmas Carol

Plot
It's Dickens like you've never seen it before. Gonzo plays the narrator, Dickens, as alongside Rizzo the Rat he takes us through the story of Scrooge and his penny pinching ways. Great performances from all the muppets and from Michael Caine as Scrooge himself.

Verdict
It's Muppet fun all the way. The best christmas songs, the best jokes and singing vegetables, what more could you want to get you in the Christmas mood?

Score 10 out of 10.
Sun 22/12/02 at 18:49
Regular
"we escape....."
Christmas Eve has quite a good line up with the snowman, muppets christmas carol, harvey, the mummy, the greatest story ever told and parkinson!!!!
Sun 22/12/02 at 18:32
Regular
The best Xmas film is certainly not Richy, Riches Xmas Wish. For some reason I sat through that bollards this afternoon. Absoloute load of crap.

Scrooged and The League of Gentlemen Xmas special on tommorow, now that's a damn good line-up.

Shame about the rest of the drivel on over Xmas though.
Sun 22/12/02 at 18:26
Regular
"we escape....."
Fight Club on a bit later. some great TV programmes too:

Top Gear 8pm bbc2
They Think it's all over x-mas special 10.15pm bbc1
Most haunted 9pm living

tomorrow:

SCROOGED!!! 11.35pm bbc1
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:38
Regular
"Cardboard Tube Ninj"
Christmas disagrees with me. It's a philosophical thing.
Sun 22/12/02 at 13:33
Regular
Bah! Humbug!
Sun 22/12/02 at 11:29
Regular
"bWo > You"
When I was young, I always enjoyed Disney's Christmas Carol, but nothing can or ever will match the stupendousness of Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas. You cannot find a better Christmas movie. In fact, I challenge to name one that beats it.
Sat 21/12/02 at 21:09
Regular
"we escape....."
i'm 17 and i enjoy black and white films, such as the original goodbye mr. chips with Robert Donat, It's a wonderful life, Harvey, schindler list was black and white and that a great film! i can see why some are seen as boring but the films i've mention have great scripts and are prolly the amongst the best movies of all time. watever age they shud definetley be watched
Mon 16/12/02 at 19:08
Regular
"not dead"
I enjoyed Ernest Saves Christmas.

I don't own it, and have only seen it once, but I enjoyed one 23rd December morning, waiting for the big day.
Mon 16/12/02 at 17:49
Regular
I prefer A Cristmas Carol to Scrooged.
Mon 16/12/02 at 17:29
Regular
"we escape....."
> Um, I was only doing Christmas films, not films on at Christmas.
> Still, thanks for the list of what's on at Christmas!!

Yeah but most of these films are always on at christmas, plus they are all worth watching ;)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.