GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Format time"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 18/10/05 at 11:08
Regular
"Captain to you."
Going to do a format sometime in the next week and i'm not looking forward to it, i know that i am going to forget something like i did last time (my dissertation and my 3rd year 3d project), but i need a clean system so i can check some slow performance i'm getting in some of the newer games (DODs and BW2)

I keep putting it off every day :(
Tue 18/10/05 at 11:08
Regular
"Captain to you."
Going to do a format sometime in the next week and i'm not looking forward to it, i know that i am going to forget something like i did last time (my dissertation and my 3rd year 3d project), but i need a clean system so i can check some slow performance i'm getting in some of the newer games (DODs and BW2)

I keep putting it off every day :(
Tue 18/10/05 at 11:19
Regular
Heh, I always come to a Format, think "right, that's everything important backed up", format, then realise I just lost something I really shouldn't have :D

Just go through each common folder, looking for things worth keeping - stuff like dissertations and CVs etc. won't exactly be rooted away in some long forgotten folder - or shouldn't be!
Tue 18/10/05 at 11:21
Regular
I could actually do with one myself, although I may just hold it off until I re-upgrade shortly after Xmas. This system came in parts, but bundled for 'optimum compatability' - yeah, so why the fook does it crash all the time and hang on shutdowns eh?

*grumble*
Tue 18/10/05 at 12:36
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
What happens with the likes of steam when you format?

Do you have to re-download the games you want to play or is there a way to keep them on another drive and copy them over when you re-install?
Tue 18/10/05 at 13:08
Regular
"Captain to you."
You can back them up by going through the steam options.

file > backup then pick all the stuff you want to keep, i'd suggest CSS, DODS and HL2 as the lost coast s due in a few weeks so HL2 is needed.
Tue 18/10/05 at 13:09
Regular
"8==="
I never format.

Everything seems fine...

*Runs*
Tue 18/10/05 at 13:12
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Chippxero wrote:
> You can back them up by going through the steam options.
>
> file backup then pick all the stuff you want to keep, i'd suggest
> CSS, DODS and HL2 as the lost coast s due in a few weeks so HL2 is
> needed.

Thanks, that might make me doing a format soon a little easier.
Tue 18/10/05 at 13:14
Regular
"Captain to you."
From what i can tell though you don't install a lot of games and stuff on your PC due to it's specs and yu not needing them.

It's my own fault really as i haven't formatted in over a year and in that time i've done a lot on here and installed many many different programs. i defrag once ever 2 weeks but i think there are too many just left over pieces on my system from previous installs.
Tue 18/10/05 at 13:16
Regular
"8==="
Oh it's for games.

I remember someone saying the drive needs formatting every-so-often otherwise Windows goes really bad, can't say that's happened to me though.
Tue 18/10/05 at 13:26
Regular
It does tend to happen though, especially if you install/uninstall loads of applications on the machine.

The Windows registry gets all beefy and annoying.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.