GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Web domains? Hosting? PHP? What does it all mean?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/12/02 at 11:22
Regular
Hi,

I'm hoping to start a web site in the not so distant future, and I wonder if you could first explain a few things too me. When freeola advertises unlimted free web space does that mean I can have 'giga bytes' of data on my website for free? And what does it mean when you talk about hosting?
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:55
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Basically, local calls cost 1p a minute over the weekend, and that's all you have to pay to use Freeola, so it would cost just £1.50 to Upload and use 21 megabytes of space. Which is pretty damm good :)
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:29
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
WickedWare wrote:
> And where can I go to find out more about that
> weekend one-off charge? Thanks for all your replies

They don't do any of those dial up offers...

You have to just dial up and pay the call charges...

I confused you there!

For the price of the call being £1.20 you can get about 21 megs uploaded on average...

Which isn't bad at all!

Just dial up and upload then pay the phone bill...
Tue 10/12/02 at 22:21
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
WickedWare wrote:
> Is it possible to buy a SR domain name and go elsewhere for hosting?

You can, but I wouldn't bother. If you don't intend to use Freeola to host your site, don't buy the domain from getdotted, as there are many cheaper places you can buy them.

But, I still think you won't get any better than Freeola hosting at this time.
Tue 10/12/02 at 11:17
Regular
"bing bang bong"
WickedWare wrote:
> Just two more questions. Is it possible to buy a SR domain name and go
> elsewhere for hosting? And where can I go to find out more about that
> weekend one-off charge? Thanks for all your replies

Yes, although they'll charge you about a tenner to move it. One more note about PHP, as ajp's description is not entirely accurate.

When you request a webpage (e.g. by typing www.yahoo.com into your browser), your computer first finds the computer hosting "www.yahoo.com" (using the magic of teh interweb!), connects to it on port 80, and asks it using the http protocol for the web page. The server then reads the required file(s) from its hard disk or cache, and sends them back to you. This is fine when the the website is static (i.e. not changing, like an online book or something), but websites are dynamic, such as the SR forums. The list of posts on this forum is a good example of something that is dynamic. One way to acheive this would be to have cgi scripts execute every time someone hits "submit" - a program on the server gets activated, and re-writes all the html files so they include the new post. This is clumsy and prone to error.

PHP is a web-server extension, the web-server being the actual program that does the processing of your request for a page, fetching it and sending it back to you. With php, no longer does the server program just dumbly fetch the html file and send it back to you - it reads it before sending it, looking for php instructions. Should it find any, it will strip these out and execute them. My php is a little rusty, but an example would be something like this:

println("Hello World!");
println("
");
println("Goodbye World!");

php>

(Syntax may be wrong). On reading this, the webserver would translate the instructions into:

Hello World!

Goodbye World!

And this is what your browser would see, and interpret. Your browser has no concept of what php actually is, and never gets to see any php at all (unless the web server is broken). The power comes from being able to choose what instructions to execute in the script, depending on variables (often read from a database). So if you were an admin on the SR forums, your index.htm might look very different to your average users.
Tue 10/12/02 at 09:00
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Just two more questions. Is it possible to buy a SR domain name and go elsewhere for hosting? And where can I go to find out more about that weekend one-off charge? Thanks for all your replies
Mon 09/12/02 at 18:13
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
But if you upload at weekends you can get much better offers from the call charges...

It's something like £1.20 one off charge for about 21 megs uploaded...

Pretty reasonable!
Mon 09/12/02 at 16:28
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Yes, the only way to Upload fies to Freeola Web Space is using their ISP dial-up 0845 numhber.
Mon 09/12/02 at 14:25
Regular
"where's my tag?"
Right, now I understand the domain name and hosting bit. But is the only way to upload files onto the freeola webspace is by using their 0845 number? If that's the case then that is kind of off putting as their ISP is very very slow. I get like 29-30 kbs on my modem with it.
Mon 09/12/02 at 13:49
Regular
""
ok, a quick beginners guide...

A web page is simply a text file which is read and displayed by your internet browser. If you select View - Source from the toolbar now you will see the html code that makes up this page. It contains various amounts of text, links to pictures as well as instructions as to how to display and format everything.

Like any files on your PC they will take up some space on your hard drive so once you have written the code and saved it, in order to make them visible to everyone on the internet you need to upload it to another PC that everyone on the internet can already access. This is called hosting - asking someone with their PC set up as a webserver to save your HTML files on their PC. This is what Freeola does. They say that as long as you connect to the internet using the Freeola dialup, you can put as many files and take up as much space on their servers as you want for free. Other companies offer the same, but some charge you rental for the space and may also limit the amount of space you can rent.

PHP is just another programming or scripting language that internet browsers can read that provides a lot more functionality.

A website such as Freeola is simply an address (in this case called freeola.com) pointing to a directory on a webserver somewhere. When you buy a domain you take ownership on an address - nothing else. You can't do anything with it until you ask someone to host it for you. This just means that the host assigns some webspace to your domain name, so that when you type in freeola.com into the navigation bar, you can see the files that are in that directory on the web server.

Does all that make sense?
Mon 09/12/02 at 12:43
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
20 mb is usually more than enough for a website (unless you have lots of picrtures etc). Forget the gigabyte bit, basically they give you more space than you will ever need.

Second question, hosting, basically Freeola will put your site on "their space" meaning they are the host, some places offere very cheap domain registrations but no web space, you basically buy the name and fill in a web address to forward to another site which is hosted elsewhere.

Sorry not a very clear explanation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.