GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2006'.
Sat 22/10/05 at 18:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Considering SR isn’t stocking the XBOX version, I figured I’d give some opinions here. First off, it looks decent. I didn’t have 2005 for an exceptional amount of time, but I don’t remember the game looking as rich as 06 does. The grass seems fuller, the clouds pan across the sky and while it’s nowhere near in the same league as the best games in other genres, it’s still solid graphically.

The commentary I love. It gets funnier and funnier every year, and it’s just right for golf; the tempo, the vocabulary and the frequency at which it comes. Being a North American-made game, you can’t expect much from player voices. It seems that you voice HAS to be a variant of Tigers, changing only in pitch and nothing else. The satisfying ‘ping’ from the drivers as you send the ball greenward is nice to hear.

My brother has started the Rivals Mode, although I’ve yet to. It seems pretty decent, to be fair. It’s especially good that the 52-week PGA Tour has been left in there as well, and hasn’t been substituted for it. I like the way everything is set to that era. You have all the respective attire and equipment, etc. I got some new clubs the other day (Titleist 690CBs) and they’re pretty hard to hit, so I can imagine these 1920’s lads struggled!

I like the menus in 2005. They’re nice and crisp, yet simple, and the way the previous menu (it has a crescent moon-like layout) is just reduced in size and ghosted out is a nice way for you to get your bearings if you’re lost. I’ve never thought much of any of the EA Trax, but there are some nice songs on here. The music is quite fitting, and very much associable with the game of golf.

The Shape stick is stupid. I love the idea, and was dead excited initially, but it’s just been implemented so poorly. Instead of putting the cot where you want ti to go and clicking the right stick in, you have to hold it there. And even if you do hold it, it gradually moves back – even though you’re still holding it!?!!!?!?!?!! Absolutely stupid. The Game Breaker added a bit more arcadiness to the mix, and you’d think that EA could have got this right for the golf purists?!

Incidentally, I was a little unsure about the inclusion of the Game Breaker, but it does no harm, and encourages you to take your time, and play well. There’s always been a bit of arcadiness to Tiger (Skillzone, etc) and 06 seems no different, there’s quite a few challenges and modes of play. And you can always just go into practice and take turns with a mate on closest to the pin, or longest drive.

I like the new Shot-Calling. It’s a bit of a gimmick, granted, but even so, it’s quite fun and a nice addition for those just looking for fun, casual play.

Believe it, or not (you probably will), but I haven’t even had the chance to go on LIVE yet. It just won’t connect. I must have tried about 10 times over 3 days. Still, when it does finally work, it’ll be the perfect LIVE game. Links was good, but I have a feeling the Shot Calling and all will make Tiger better. It’s a Sunday afternoon, just back form church, what do you play? HALO? Wolfenstien? Nope. Tiger Woods! It’s chilled, accommodates 4 people (any more and it’d be noisy) and there’s lots of modes of play.

Unless you’re a live nut, I probably wouldn’t say Tiger 06 is needed if you have 2005. There’s a fair amount of new stuff in here, but it’s nothing that dramatic. The Shape Stick, under-realised as it is, is still usable. In all, I’d say that the shot-calling, Rivals Mode and LIVE play make it the best Tiger game yet – I just need to play it more! The mechanics are good, the putting is a lot harder and it’s packed with lots of game modes and plenty of courses – both real and fantasy.

Just thought I’d put my mark in the ‘get it‘ column.

Your thoughts?
Wed 02/11/05 at 15:38
Regular
Im still a big fan of 2003, I had considered getting 2006 bit on seeing gameplay footage of the xbox and xbox 360 versions im going to be saving my money for the latter. Also, anyone notice that the courses seem to look a little bland and washed out compared to the earlier games in the series?. Anyway, nothing could replace Links 2004 for me - it's just a shame the whole XGN thing got canned, that spells the death toll for any likely follow up.
Sat 22/10/05 at 18:05
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Considering SR isn’t stocking the XBOX version, I figured I’d give some opinions here. First off, it looks decent. I didn’t have 2005 for an exceptional amount of time, but I don’t remember the game looking as rich as 06 does. The grass seems fuller, the clouds pan across the sky and while it’s nowhere near in the same league as the best games in other genres, it’s still solid graphically.

The commentary I love. It gets funnier and funnier every year, and it’s just right for golf; the tempo, the vocabulary and the frequency at which it comes. Being a North American-made game, you can’t expect much from player voices. It seems that you voice HAS to be a variant of Tigers, changing only in pitch and nothing else. The satisfying ‘ping’ from the drivers as you send the ball greenward is nice to hear.

My brother has started the Rivals Mode, although I’ve yet to. It seems pretty decent, to be fair. It’s especially good that the 52-week PGA Tour has been left in there as well, and hasn’t been substituted for it. I like the way everything is set to that era. You have all the respective attire and equipment, etc. I got some new clubs the other day (Titleist 690CBs) and they’re pretty hard to hit, so I can imagine these 1920’s lads struggled!

I like the menus in 2005. They’re nice and crisp, yet simple, and the way the previous menu (it has a crescent moon-like layout) is just reduced in size and ghosted out is a nice way for you to get your bearings if you’re lost. I’ve never thought much of any of the EA Trax, but there are some nice songs on here. The music is quite fitting, and very much associable with the game of golf.

The Shape stick is stupid. I love the idea, and was dead excited initially, but it’s just been implemented so poorly. Instead of putting the cot where you want ti to go and clicking the right stick in, you have to hold it there. And even if you do hold it, it gradually moves back – even though you’re still holding it!?!!!?!?!?!! Absolutely stupid. The Game Breaker added a bit more arcadiness to the mix, and you’d think that EA could have got this right for the golf purists?!

Incidentally, I was a little unsure about the inclusion of the Game Breaker, but it does no harm, and encourages you to take your time, and play well. There’s always been a bit of arcadiness to Tiger (Skillzone, etc) and 06 seems no different, there’s quite a few challenges and modes of play. And you can always just go into practice and take turns with a mate on closest to the pin, or longest drive.

I like the new Shot-Calling. It’s a bit of a gimmick, granted, but even so, it’s quite fun and a nice addition for those just looking for fun, casual play.

Believe it, or not (you probably will), but I haven’t even had the chance to go on LIVE yet. It just won’t connect. I must have tried about 10 times over 3 days. Still, when it does finally work, it’ll be the perfect LIVE game. Links was good, but I have a feeling the Shot Calling and all will make Tiger better. It’s a Sunday afternoon, just back form church, what do you play? HALO? Wolfenstien? Nope. Tiger Woods! It’s chilled, accommodates 4 people (any more and it’d be noisy) and there’s lots of modes of play.

Unless you’re a live nut, I probably wouldn’t say Tiger 06 is needed if you have 2005. There’s a fair amount of new stuff in here, but it’s nothing that dramatic. The Shape Stick, under-realised as it is, is still usable. In all, I’d say that the shot-calling, Rivals Mode and LIVE play make it the best Tiger game yet – I just need to play it more! The mechanics are good, the putting is a lot harder and it’s packed with lots of game modes and plenty of courses – both real and fantasy.

Just thought I’d put my mark in the ‘get it‘ column.

Your thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.