GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Manic Miner ... Nothing Finer?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/12/02 at 18:29
Regular
Back in '83 Manic Miner was THE title that converted me from a casual gamer, to a serious hobbyist.

If anyone wants to relive those halcyon days, or would like to see what was cutting edge way back when, why not have a quick play on my lastest title, a remake of Manic Miner.

www.floatingmarket.uk2k.com/manicminer/

On the title screen (with the piano), pressing space switched between the Bug-Byte and Software Projects versions, also, pressing + or - switches between the Miner Willy and Jet Set Willy sprites.
Wed 01/01/03 at 11:55
Regular
"oaps.org"
demonhead wrote:
> ManicMyna wrote:
> demonhead wrote:
> its a cool game but it would be better with better graphics
>
> If you'd seen the GBA version you'd rethink that statment!
>
>
> ok then buy the game boy advance version for me

why not download it off the net try before you buy as it were - or not buy in my case
Sat 28/12/02 at 15:41
Regular
ManicMyna wrote:
> demonhead wrote:
>
> If you'd seen the GBA version you'd rethink that statment!

ok then buy the game boy advance version for me
Fri 27/12/02 at 12:36
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
demonhead wrote:

lol, cheers, but don't blame me, blame Matt Smith! :)

There is a perfectly good (and surprisingly dull) explanation for why I used the original graphics...

Primarily because I'm crap at graphic design, I tried to update the graphics with the JetPak applet I wrote a year or so back, with disastrous results! (I still keep promising myself I'll rewrite that program one day):)

Also, given the trouble Java 1.1 has with transparent .GIFs I decided to construct the graphics within the program, which meant a lot of typing 100100101... for each frame of animation for each sprite/background/etc...

Although the payoff was that I had complete control over the graphics in the paper and ink way the Speccy did, which allowed me to do the screen flashing when Willy is hit, and at the end of each level. It wasn’t until nearly the end of the program, when I was typing in the information for the title screen (primarily Willys house, tractor, hills, etc..) that I implemented a rudimentary system for having multiple pen/paper colours.

And finally, because I've played a few Manic Miner remakes, I generally find the updated graphics don't seem to fit properly, probably because I'm so more used to the Speccy original rather than any design fault on their part, for me, they don’t seem to gel?
Fri 27/12/02 at 12:19
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
ManicMyna wrote:
> I think its the sound that gives the impression of it being a slow
> fall (I heard the original spectrum sound that many times its
> engrained into the back of my skull)

Aye, it doesn’t help being stuck with the awful .au sound format, which, although eminently compressible, tends to grotesquely distort the sounds, which is especially frustrating given how important the sound is in making the game feel like 'Manic Miner'

> You should be commended for the last time i played a reworked manic
> miner it always crashed upon exiting the Managerie

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I spent a lot of time seeking out as many of the bugs as possible, I think I managed to get all the show stoppers?... Though I've noticed a couple of smaller bugs, e.g. the key in the collapsing floor column on the Menagerie is picked up too early, and that the collapsing floor doesn’t disappear properly in some levels (I suspect they may be related) shows I’ve got a way to go yet...

I was thinking about sticking in the levels for some the homebrew Manic Miner sequels that seem to be floating around the net at the same time as the bug fixes?
Fri 27/12/02 at 12:07
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
J-42 wrote:
> 'Manic Miner..... Nothing Finer'
>
> Hey, your a poet and you didn't know it!

lol... unfortunatly I did... It's nicked from the title of pretty much all the Manic Miner articles written in the 80's... No matter what the speecy magazine, it always seemed to crop up as the title of one article or another :)
Tue 24/12/02 at 10:58
Regular
"oaps.org"
demonhead wrote:

If you'd seen the GBA version you'd rethink that statment!
Tue 24/12/02 at 10:55
Regular
"oaps.org"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> I was using an emulator for comparison when writing the game, so the
> accuracy of the game speed is a little contenious... however, he is
> falling at the right speed in comparison to his movement
> (running/jumping/etc..) so I think its okay?...
>
> Overall I did speed the whole game up a little since it seemed to
> improve playability a little?

I think its the sound that gives the impression of it being a slow fall (I heard the original spectrum sound that many times its engrained into the back of my skull)

You should be commended for the last time i played a reworked manic miner it always crashed upon exiting the Managerie
Tue 24/12/02 at 10:50
Regular
"oaps.org"
Edgy wrote:
> I wonder if you know it is out on the GBA? (you probably do - just
> checking :D)

Indeed i did and what an awesome PILE of ELEPHANT DUNG they turned it in to, the games looks are simply terrible and then add the fact there's no classic mode to rid those evil graphics. Its an embrassment to the great name of Manic Miner
Mon 23/12/02 at 18:52
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
ManicMyna wrote:
> Cool i haven't seen that page before. Maybe its because i haven't play
> it in ages or because of the sound thats played but Miner Willy seems
> to fall more slowly than i remember

I was using an emulator for comparison when writing the game, so the accuracy of the game speed is a little contenious... however, he is falling at the right speed in comparison to his movement (running/jumping/etc..) so I think its okay?...

Overall I did speed the whole game up a little since it seemed to improve playability a little?
Sun 22/12/02 at 23:58
Regular
its a cool game but it would be better with better graphics

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.