GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Two Towers mods"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 07/12/02 at 16:37
Regular
Right. I accept that certain modifications are needed to convert the book to a blockbuster movie. New Line need big money on this. Fine. I accept completely that they they had to have a stronger female character in the movie to appeal to a wider audience. So Glorfindel goes, Arwen nabs his role. I accept time constraints. So Bombadil goes. The Barrow-Downs go. Radagast goes. Thats all well and good, I love the movie.

But as I was a-reading theonering.net earlier, I found out that Elrond "brings the Elves into the War of the Ring." Er, what? Lets just check...Part of the biggest character arcs in the story, that of Aragorn, is that this is Man's war, not the Elves. Their time is over, as Elrond says. A big part of Lord of the Rings is that is it the shift from the old, that of the Elves, to the new, Men. Good. So what are Elvish archers doing at Helms Deep? What the fun is Arwen doing in the second movie AT ALL? They can't even claim female representation on this one. They've got a perfectly good role model/whatever in Eowyn. She's got a bigger part in tTT than Arwen had in FotR.

Meh. I'm sure I'll still love it :)
Wed 11/12/02 at 20:51
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Tolkien-online did a wonderful piece on film changes from the book, finding the link is pretty tough though.
It's worth the read when you do.
Sun 08/12/02 at 17:00
Regular
Stryke wrote:
> You can read? :)
BWUHAHAHAA
Sun 08/12/02 at 16:52
Regular
Bout 300-400 years.
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:36
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
120 years? How long do dwarves live?
Sun 08/12/02 at 15:34
Regular
Aye, so does Thranduil, but way after Elrond and crew. About 120 years later, if my Silmarillion memory serves me right.
Sun 08/12/02 at 00:23
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Stryke wrote:
> Eh? Plenty o' elves stay behind after her, including Celeborn,
> Thranduil and Legolas.

But Legolas does go eventually, along with Gimli.
Sat 07/12/02 at 22:17
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Stryke wrote:
> Eh? Plenty o' elves stay behind after her, including Celeborn,
> Thranduil and Legolas.

No elves related to Elrond though, or Galadriel...and she sacrifices immortality to become human, instead of elf, and in film the best way to do that and make it an obvious theme for those who haven't read the books it to overplay it.

> Anyone noticed that Arwen and Aragorn are cousins?

Yes, but who cares, it is just a film after all, and neither really exist. It's like saying has anyone noticed that the teletubbies all look identical apart from colour and that crpa ting on their head - no one cares...

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:04
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Arwen does
> actually have a part to play, as the last of her kind to stay behind
> in the land of man

--

Eh? Plenty o' elves stay behind after her, including Celeborn, Thranduil and Legolas. Besides, she goes all Elros and turns completely mortal. I think Elohir and Ellahand choose to remain Elves, and those three are the last of the half-Elven kind.

Anyone noticed that Arwen and Aragorn are cousins?
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:01
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Remember that, because of the way it is done, that the Two Towers film shows some events from The Return Of The King as well, and that the fial film will show some parts of the Two Towers book...Arwen does actually have a part to play, as the last of her kind to stay behind in the land of man, Eowyn is just a normal woman, with a sword :P And, before the real nitpicking starts, please remember that the films are films of the books, not word to word, scene by scene accurate to the text stories...

So....whose going to be watching for cars in the background this time ? Or did everyone get bored of that last time ?? And watch the balcony heights too...:)

~~Belldandy~~
Sat 07/12/02 at 19:00
Regular
You can read? :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.