GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Jumping the Shark"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/12/02 at 16:50
Regular
We all have TV shows that we love. But more often than not, the directors and producers of popular television shows choose to string out the show for a time period way past its sell-by-date. When a good show starts to go bad or simply 'isn't the same any more', it is often possible to define the point in the show's history where it had reached its peak. In other words, from this point on, its all downhill!...

In case you haven't guessed or don't already know, this point in the show's history is known as "JUMPING THE SHARK".

What kind of events may cause a show to jump the shark? One common reason is that a character may die. This leaves us thinking "what? he/she wasn't supposed to die!" and from here on the show never feels the same. Alternatively, a death of a character may cause producers to lose credibility in the eyes of viewers and fans. This was true in my opinion when for some reason the creators of the Simpsons decided it would be a good idea to kill off Maude Flanders.

Another common turning point for a show is when a character remains, but is played by a different actor or actress. When this is a popular character, a new actor sometimes cannot do this character justice.

Reaching puberty can often be bad news for long-running programmes. This is why such shows, for example Malcolm in the Middle, will have a limited lifetime. The show wouldn't be possible with older teenagers and the thought of replacing Malcolm, Reese and Duwie with younger actors is laughable.

Many a shark has been jumped in the event of couples finally getting married or sleeping with one another. This often destroys the on screen chemistry between the couple, whereas before there was a constant 'will they or won't they' feeling to the show.

Cameo appearances are also a sure sign that a show has ran its course and that the writers are all out of ideas. It's as if they need special guest stars in a frantic bid to attract otherwise uninterested viewers. One show guilty of this is Friends which, in recent seasons has called on Brad pitt and Bruce Willis to make guest appearances.

Turning a series into a Hollywood movie can also be a negative turning point in a show's history. I notice this often happens with cartoons such as the X-men (I hated the first film, although many will probably disagree with me) and Scooby Doo. (I find it hard to imagine a child of any age actually enjoying this film)

Of course there needn't always be a reason for a show Jumping the Shark. Sometimes it just reaches a point where the programme becomes less entertaining. I'm a huge Red Dwarf fan but after series VI it all went seriously downhill.

On the other hand, it seems some shows did/will never jump the shark. Such shows are either still going strong or ended graciously on a high. These are shows such as the A-team or the Simpsons. (despite the above-mentioned death of Maude Flanders) Althoug it should be noted that the Simpsons only has 1 or 2 seasons left in it if you asked me.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading about the phenomenon that is; "JUMPING THE SHARK".

Thanks for Reading.
Mon 09/12/02 at 17:16
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
They spoofed 'The Shark Jump' on South Park...or was it family Guy (or maybe both) before.

...Which was nice.
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:26
Regular
"Wants Spymate on dv"
Mr Snuggly wrote:
> Just out of interest, does anyone know why it's called Jumping the
> Shark? It's because a certain episode of Happy Days saw Fonzie trying
> to jump over a shark on a water speeder, or something like that.

That's what they say.
In a strange turn of events, my brother said the phrase "jumping the shark" to someone the other week, and when asked about the phrase he said it was a term coined from an episode of Happy Days when Fonz jumps over a shark.
Anyway, my brothers friend then saw that very episode of Happy Days later that week. Strange.
Mon 09/12/02 at 10:21
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I remember flicking channels and seeing a truly dire case. One episode of Ally McBeal had Jon Bon Jovi, Christina Ricci, Robert Downey Jr and Dame Edna on it. And she had magically acquired a daughter from somewhere.

Just out of interest, does anyone know why it's called Jumping the Shark? It's because a certain episode of Happy Days saw Fonzie trying to jump over a shark on a water speeder, or something like that.

Eyyyyyyy.
Fri 06/12/02 at 13:23
Regular
"cant think of one.."
El Blokey wrote:
> There is a very popular website about jumping the shark. Dunno the URL
> though, try searching in Google.

I found it, it's www.jumpingtheshark.com
Thu 05/12/02 at 17:27
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
There is a very popular website about jumping the shark. Dunno the URL though, try searching in Google.
Thu 05/12/02 at 16:50
Regular
"cant think of one.."
We all have TV shows that we love. But more often than not, the directors and producers of popular television shows choose to string out the show for a time period way past its sell-by-date. When a good show starts to go bad or simply 'isn't the same any more', it is often possible to define the point in the show's history where it had reached its peak. In other words, from this point on, its all downhill!...

In case you haven't guessed or don't already know, this point in the show's history is known as "JUMPING THE SHARK".

What kind of events may cause a show to jump the shark? One common reason is that a character may die. This leaves us thinking "what? he/she wasn't supposed to die!" and from here on the show never feels the same. Alternatively, a death of a character may cause producers to lose credibility in the eyes of viewers and fans. This was true in my opinion when for some reason the creators of the Simpsons decided it would be a good idea to kill off Maude Flanders.

Another common turning point for a show is when a character remains, but is played by a different actor or actress. When this is a popular character, a new actor sometimes cannot do this character justice.

Reaching puberty can often be bad news for long-running programmes. This is why such shows, for example Malcolm in the Middle, will have a limited lifetime. The show wouldn't be possible with older teenagers and the thought of replacing Malcolm, Reese and Duwie with younger actors is laughable.

Many a shark has been jumped in the event of couples finally getting married or sleeping with one another. This often destroys the on screen chemistry between the couple, whereas before there was a constant 'will they or won't they' feeling to the show.

Cameo appearances are also a sure sign that a show has ran its course and that the writers are all out of ideas. It's as if they need special guest stars in a frantic bid to attract otherwise uninterested viewers. One show guilty of this is Friends which, in recent seasons has called on Brad pitt and Bruce Willis to make guest appearances.

Turning a series into a Hollywood movie can also be a negative turning point in a show's history. I notice this often happens with cartoons such as the X-men (I hated the first film, although many will probably disagree with me) and Scooby Doo. (I find it hard to imagine a child of any age actually enjoying this film)

Of course there needn't always be a reason for a show Jumping the Shark. Sometimes it just reaches a point where the programme becomes less entertaining. I'm a huge Red Dwarf fan but after series VI it all went seriously downhill.

On the other hand, it seems some shows did/will never jump the shark. Such shows are either still going strong or ended graciously on a high. These are shows such as the A-team or the Simpsons. (despite the above-mentioned death of Maude Flanders) Althoug it should be noted that the Simpsons only has 1 or 2 seasons left in it if you asked me.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading about the phenomenon that is; "JUMPING THE SHARK".

Thanks for Reading.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.