GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"In Game"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/05/06 at 16:50
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
We all have our favourite game characters. Even on a mentally mature level - you might like the morals, design or take-on-life of a certain virtual protagonist. These characters are designed over months. They're instinsically linked to the story/direction of the game. But what if you could take their place?

Sure, we control the characters and interact that way, but actually being yourself in the game would be something special. I'm not talking about WWF or Tiger Woods here. I'm talking about Metal Gear, Splinter Cell or the new Naughty Dog PS3 effort..

Let's take the last one. The character in Naughty Dog's game is as textbook as you get. T-Shirt, Jeans, Converse (Ulgh) and pistols. There seems absolutely no reason why you couldn't take him out and put yourself in. And if you did, the game would be that much more exciting. You could start-off by saying a bunch of words into a Sing-Star Mic and then actually have your character speak like you in the game. If that's pushing it, you could atleast Eye-Toy your face into the game, map it into 3D and then watch as your expressions in-game matched those in real life!

In all honesty, i'm not really one for personalisation. I'm not against it - not by any means - but it doesn't do anything for me. I create a guy in Tiger o6 and all I look at is the fairway. What I need to hit, the lie, the loft and the club i've selected. I'm not remotely bothered whether he smiles like me or such. But people are.. surely the power of the PS3 and 360 means we can put ourselves in game. People nowadays speed through games like they're a job. People don't relate to Tommy Vercetti or Joanna Dark like they did to Solid Snake, Aeries or Cloud. Granted, with wars going on all over the world and killings taken as lightly as a power-cut, it's no surprise, but even so. It's still a fact. HALO is a stunning game, but the people who play it aren't as attqached to MC as people who play MGS are to Snake.

Maybe if we were in the game, it'd be more personal? What if you were a guy and you created your girlfriend in 3D to be your female side-kick in GTA5? Sure it'd be kind of funny to see your missus go round with a launcher shooting up Manhattan, but what if rival gangs whacked her? Your girlfriend is dead. Maybe the line there is too thin, I don't know. But it's an interesting thought?

How much do you appreciate 'Creata-a' features, and where do you think the next step leads?
Sat 03/06/06 at 06:07
Regular
"8==="
Every FPS should be as changeable as Perfect Dark's (the original N64 one) multiplayer mode was.

Making your own bots up and giving them ways of behaving was cool. As was going through the challenges with up to 4 players.

And they should bring back decent bots too, none of this TS nonsense. At-least Winback 2 has them apparently, co-oping against bots it great which is why we've been playing system link Counter-Strike for sometime now, those bots are bloody class!

Even simple-cobbled together bots are better than none (ie Pariah).
Wed 31/05/06 at 08:33
"possibly impossible"
Mods are so popular on the PC because you can completely change the characters and settings in most FPS games. I think it will eventually go that way for console games too, especially on the Xbox, where the Xbox live system is flexible enough to cope with it.

So theoretically instead of playing yourself, you could play golf as Homer Simpson, run around Halo as a Dalek or play the next GTA as Bender from Futurama.

I believe that the Xbox 360 camera may encourage the use of pasting your own face in more games, from what I've read.
Tue 30/05/06 at 19:26
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Which are then quickly squashed when you realise it's just a game and you restart the thing and get digital you some revenge
Tue 30/05/06 at 19:24
Regular
"The definitive tag"
We've already seen a step towards what you're saying with the "scan your face in feature" on the latest Tony Hawk games. It looked a bit rough but it was definitely progress.

There is of course a down-side to it though. I'm not sure I'd enjoy watching myself getting shot in the face or hit by a truck. It does raise certain ethical and emotional issues.
Tue 30/05/06 at 16:50
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
We all have our favourite game characters. Even on a mentally mature level - you might like the morals, design or take-on-life of a certain virtual protagonist. These characters are designed over months. They're instinsically linked to the story/direction of the game. But what if you could take their place?

Sure, we control the characters and interact that way, but actually being yourself in the game would be something special. I'm not talking about WWF or Tiger Woods here. I'm talking about Metal Gear, Splinter Cell or the new Naughty Dog PS3 effort..

Let's take the last one. The character in Naughty Dog's game is as textbook as you get. T-Shirt, Jeans, Converse (Ulgh) and pistols. There seems absolutely no reason why you couldn't take him out and put yourself in. And if you did, the game would be that much more exciting. You could start-off by saying a bunch of words into a Sing-Star Mic and then actually have your character speak like you in the game. If that's pushing it, you could atleast Eye-Toy your face into the game, map it into 3D and then watch as your expressions in-game matched those in real life!

In all honesty, i'm not really one for personalisation. I'm not against it - not by any means - but it doesn't do anything for me. I create a guy in Tiger o6 and all I look at is the fairway. What I need to hit, the lie, the loft and the club i've selected. I'm not remotely bothered whether he smiles like me or such. But people are.. surely the power of the PS3 and 360 means we can put ourselves in game. People nowadays speed through games like they're a job. People don't relate to Tommy Vercetti or Joanna Dark like they did to Solid Snake, Aeries or Cloud. Granted, with wars going on all over the world and killings taken as lightly as a power-cut, it's no surprise, but even so. It's still a fact. HALO is a stunning game, but the people who play it aren't as attqached to MC as people who play MGS are to Snake.

Maybe if we were in the game, it'd be more personal? What if you were a guy and you created your girlfriend in 3D to be your female side-kick in GTA5? Sure it'd be kind of funny to see your missus go round with a launcher shooting up Manhattan, but what if rival gangs whacked her? Your girlfriend is dead. Maybe the line there is too thin, I don't know. But it's an interesting thought?

How much do you appreciate 'Creata-a' features, and where do you think the next step leads?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.