GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Harry Potter gets his wand out"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/10/08 at 22:57
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I'm talking about Daniel Radcliffe, who plays Harry Potter, appearing in Peter Shaffer's Equus. It's now on Broadway, and I can't help feeling that it's not a good idea...

I saw the second night's preview in London, so his performance was still finding it's feet (there was a rather embarrasment moment at the end, where Richard Griffiths had to show him how to bow!)

I really wanted to love this show, but I was left with a strange taste in my mouth. I couldn't help feeling that there are better actors out there who could take on the role. Radcliffe was, for me, just OK. He didn't have enough diversity in his performance, the only diversity was in his vocal projection - quiet, loud, or shouting. Richard Griffiths was superb, as I had hoped. The production as a whole was 'revived' from it's original conception in the 70s, recreating the wired horse masks, as using a minimalistic set.

The strange taste in my mouth, was scepticism. After seeing Radcliffe's disappointingly bland and shouty performance, I couldn't help feeling that it was stunt casting that gave him the part. Having a name like, Daniel Radcliffe, in a lead role that goes fully naked on stage, is a guaranteed sell out. Who isn't interested to see whether or not he actually takes his clothes off?

I find something distasteful about it. I don't know why. I'm not a prude by any means. I only find it distasteful because Radcliffe is so strongly associated with Harry Potter - an icon of children's literature. Millions of children look up to him and adore him...and now, still a teenager, he is appearing naked infront of hundreds of people. And what makes it worse, is that he hasn't finished filming the HP films, so he will continue to be Harry Potter.

I suppose I also wouldn't mind so much, if it wasn't the topic of conversation everytime someone talks about the show. If there's a publicity shot, it's of Radcliffe topless. No-one stops and talks about the fundamental issues of a young teenager growing up with psychiatric help. No-one talks about the interesting stage design or the beautiful horse mask. All people seem to care about is Daniel Radcliffe getting taking his clothes off and showing everyone his 'wand'.

Ok, rant over :)
Tue 21/10/08 at 23:18
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
Well...now you mention it...nothing to report home, shall we say (it was early in the run, so it was probably nerves, bless)
Tue 21/10/08 at 23:07
Regular
So how big was his wand then?
Tue 21/10/08 at 22:57
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
I'm talking about Daniel Radcliffe, who plays Harry Potter, appearing in Peter Shaffer's Equus. It's now on Broadway, and I can't help feeling that it's not a good idea...

I saw the second night's preview in London, so his performance was still finding it's feet (there was a rather embarrasment moment at the end, where Richard Griffiths had to show him how to bow!)

I really wanted to love this show, but I was left with a strange taste in my mouth. I couldn't help feeling that there are better actors out there who could take on the role. Radcliffe was, for me, just OK. He didn't have enough diversity in his performance, the only diversity was in his vocal projection - quiet, loud, or shouting. Richard Griffiths was superb, as I had hoped. The production as a whole was 'revived' from it's original conception in the 70s, recreating the wired horse masks, as using a minimalistic set.

The strange taste in my mouth, was scepticism. After seeing Radcliffe's disappointingly bland and shouty performance, I couldn't help feeling that it was stunt casting that gave him the part. Having a name like, Daniel Radcliffe, in a lead role that goes fully naked on stage, is a guaranteed sell out. Who isn't interested to see whether or not he actually takes his clothes off?

I find something distasteful about it. I don't know why. I'm not a prude by any means. I only find it distasteful because Radcliffe is so strongly associated with Harry Potter - an icon of children's literature. Millions of children look up to him and adore him...and now, still a teenager, he is appearing naked infront of hundreds of people. And what makes it worse, is that he hasn't finished filming the HP films, so he will continue to be Harry Potter.

I suppose I also wouldn't mind so much, if it wasn't the topic of conversation everytime someone talks about the show. If there's a publicity shot, it's of Radcliffe topless. No-one stops and talks about the fundamental issues of a young teenager growing up with psychiatric help. No-one talks about the interesting stage design or the beautiful horse mask. All people seem to care about is Daniel Radcliffe getting taking his clothes off and showing everyone his 'wand'.

Ok, rant over :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.