GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Tax freedom day"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/12/02 at 10:34
Regular
Take all the tax you pay in a year and add it up. Tax you directly pay from your wages, then tax you pay on things like food, petrol, cds, etc. All the tax you will pay this year and add it up.

This figure, along with your annual salary figure, can calculate the Tax freedom day. The day after Jan 1st that you stop earning money to pay taxes and start earning for yourself.

This year, the Tax Freedom day was 12th June. Predicted at the 7th at the start of the year, through changes by Brown the figure has rose.

This means that the first 164 days of this year you earned nothing, and instead gave all your money to the government.

Great huh?

(www.taxfreedomday.co.uk - a website I maintain).
Mon 02/12/02 at 10:34
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Take all the tax you pay in a year and add it up. Tax you directly pay from your wages, then tax you pay on things like food, petrol, cds, etc. All the tax you will pay this year and add it up.

This figure, along with your annual salary figure, can calculate the Tax freedom day. The day after Jan 1st that you stop earning money to pay taxes and start earning for yourself.

This year, the Tax Freedom day was 12th June. Predicted at the 7th at the start of the year, through changes by Brown the figure has rose.

This means that the first 164 days of this year you earned nothing, and instead gave all your money to the government.

Great huh?

(www.taxfreedomday.co.uk - a website I maintain).
Mon 02/12/02 at 10:40
"Darkness, always"
would you rather have it any other way?

Like perhaps, not having any NHS, police, fireservice military, government etc for the first 160+ days of the year? Well, fireservice is a bit of a dodgy one, but personally, I'm happy paying my taxes.
Mon 02/12/02 at 11:03
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Yes, I'd like to have it another way.

Stop the government wasting the taxpayers money on things that don't need to be spent on, see a difference with the money they get from us, and not work nearly half the year for nothing.

I'm happy paying taxes, but i'd like to see the money being spent wisely, not giving blair a 40%pay raise during the firefighters strike just for the fun of it.
Mon 02/12/02 at 11:13
"Darkness, always"
Oh please.

A payrise for MPs? How many of them are there? Do you really think you as an individual make a significant contribution to their wage every year through taxes?

Don't be ridiculous. A pay rise for MPs costs the taxpayer hundres of thousands of pounds. A payrise for firefighters costs the taxpayer hundreds of MILLIONS of pounds.
Mon 02/12/02 at 11:54
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Oh please.

do you really think that that is the only example i can give? are there not millions spent on other pointless excercises? Blairs payrise is a small amount in the big picture, yes. But it's not the only waste of money the government has handled now, is it?

The dome. is that a better example for you?
Mon 02/12/02 at 11:56
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
the cost of the dome would have had the firefighters on their requested 40% for 58 years. all of them.
Mon 02/12/02 at 12:16
"Darkness, always"
Oh please. The dome.

The Dome was a very brave effort to tackle the decline in the tourist industry by giving the country more to offer. Thanks to a continued and completely unjustified assault by the british press on the dome before it had even been completed, by the time it was up, the public hated it for no reason other than that the papers had told them to.

It flopped because people cannot resist the will of the media. International tourists loved it. We didn't. It was a brave move by the government ruined by the press who love to damn anything the government does. The government are quite literally damned whether they do or don't.
Mon 02/12/02 at 12:34
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Insane Bartender wrote:
> Oh please. The dome.
>
> (and then a bunch of other stuff)

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaarrrrrr...

The dome was 900 million quid on a tent designed to last for one year. it went vastly over budget, the building had major flaws in materials and government appointed contractors, and the content for the launch was weak.

They offered to give the dome to a japanese company, providing they also took on all it's debts. The japs said no. it now stands as a massive hollow shell proving that the government are not in tune to the people of this country.

That kinda money could have funded many things. It could have supported the firefighters, it could have paid for state pensions for the next 26 years, it could have taken an entire small country out of the third world. They could have given every home in this country broadband. They could have solved the homelessness crisis the country currently has thanks to the government. If they wanted to increase tourism they could have built a theme park bigger than disneyland, which would have generated much more income and lasted longer than 12 months.
Mon 02/12/02 at 12:44
"Darkness, always"
900 million could solve homelessness or pay for 26 years of state pensions?

BWAHAHAHHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

there are hundreds of thousands of homeless people, giving them all a grand each will hardly solved the problem, in fact, it'll probably kill half of them off.

As for state pensions, unless pensioners get about 20p a week, your figure is just incredibly flawed.

It would pay for the firefighters payrise for a few years, sure, but then their hightened pensions would kick in, and that 900mill will drop off real quickly.

Either way, it failed because it didn't have the support of the people, which can be blamed on the press, nothing else.
Mon 02/12/02 at 12:51
Regular
"relocated"
Last year the government spent £275 million on advertising how great it is. Since we all know how great New Labour are, why pay through the nose to tell us? And they're about to waste even more money on a war 'with' Iraq.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.