GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Wishful thinking"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/11/02 at 21:17
Regular
How many times have you jumped off a bus, walked several hundred feet down the road, grateful that it hasn't rained when a pigeon decides to dump its lovely white load on your head. And as it slowly drips down through your hair, you instantly wish for a double-barrel shotgun so you can blow the bird inside out? I have, many a time. I have also wished for many other things too. Some wishes are totally irrelevant to this post, for instance, I once wished for lots of money, but the fact still remains, everyone wishes for something.

And that's where computer games decide to make an appearance. You see, through computer games, people can live their wildest dreams. Ski down a snow-covered mountain, watching the snow ripple as you twist and turn each way, nipping over the sparkling icy whiteness, or become your favourite football star. Sometimes, games even go as far as fulfilling your wishes. It all depends on your personality.

Some kids at school, the quiet type, long for popularity, but have to resort to reading books or doing some other activity to pass the time. The smarter ones, though, know that when they get home, take off their shoes and head upstairs or into the front room and turn on their console, that they are whisked away to another world. Perhaps they become the leader of a team in a massive RPG fantasy, or they were responsible for saving the world as James Bond. They know that these people can be their friends, and as long as their memory cards stay firmly lodged in the memory slot, or the power still flows through the house, they'll always have someone to share their deepest feelings with. Some might say it's sad, but for these people, computer game characters are their only friends. And as long as they're happy, I say good luck to them!

Other kids, the 'cool' ones, nip off to the Skate Park after school, and skate around for a bit, doing various tricks, and ultimately, trying to look cool. Now, while this is all very well, there's a little part in them that yearns to fly as high as the Hawkster. And when they get home, thanks to Activision, they can. In an instant, they can be racking up combo's like there's no tomorrow, or kitting their skater out in the newest and best gear, the type of clothes that these type of kids wish for at Christmas. Some even go as far as trying to learn tips from the animated blokes on planks of wood, as they skate around defying the laws of physics, and well, what's stopping them? There's no limitations in games, why should there be in the real world?

Then there's the average kid. Not smart, not dumb, not cool, and not unpopular, the real Middle of the flow. These select few are, as they like to be known, the norm. Dong what they want, without it having an effect on anyone else, these kids can do anything they like in games, as they have no real personality. Whether they want to be a 'Poké master' or play golf like Tiger Woods, these kids do anything. Sometimes, games can be their, say, 'Enlightening factor'; they can be responsible for swaying a kid one way or the other. If Tony Hawk games appeal to them, the next thing you know, they'll be Wearing baggy trousers and carrying Wood on wheels around with them, and if games, such as Golden Sun are their favourite, they may be inclined to fade away from society and climb a few rungs down the sociality ladder.

But what am I getting at with all this? Basically, games are there for many reasons. They can entertain, relax, they can get a group of friends round for the evening, they can even go as far as giving you a lesson or two in life, but one thing that kids and adults alike must remember, is that games are the breaking barrier between fiction and reality. If you wish for something, don't be surprised if it ends up on your local game store's shelf.

Go on, live your dreams through your TV. And while you're there, remember to pay your respects to people like Shigeru Miyamoto, as they are the reason why you're there in the first place.

Thanks for reading

Microchips
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:52
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Gerard, even.

:D
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:52
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I'm not proud of that Gerald!

oh, Hnag on. I did it again.

:D
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:47
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Micro knows everybodies first names, and is proud of it.
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:46
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Lol, cheers Sam. :)
Thu 28/11/02 at 21:45
Very insightful!(sp!?)

Not as humurous as usual, but a good post all the same.

(:)
Thu 28/11/02 at 18:32
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Cheers Al.

:)
Thu 28/11/02 at 18:21
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
Very physclogical ideas there, there are kids like that in my school, like some smart ones play games such as war and plane games because they are sort of educational and see things such as Mario games as dumb. Other kids just don't care and play anything no matter what people think of them. Well me.... I tend not to disclose what I play but still comment on games in general. The girls find it funny if I say I been playing a Mario game, they say but it's 3+ :P Nice post :)
Thu 28/11/02 at 12:58
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Maybe for you, but for some people, they don't even remember they're holding a controller pad!
Wed 27/11/02 at 22:11
Regular
"Must be Parkinson's"
Unfortunately, we still know that this is gaming, and therefore quashes our wildest dreams making us feel sad that doing a 100 metre sprint is actualyl more complicated then hitting A+B in quick succession.
Wed 27/11/02 at 21:32
Regular
I think you should get out more Chippy. Maybe go skating down the park with some mates or something...

Some sort of...star..chips adventure..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.