GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Ultimate Console"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/12/00 at 05:43
Regular
I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested such an idea but I am sure they have so I just wanted to leave my little note.

I find it rather tedious that we have to wait several years and then buy the latest console, playstation 2, playstation 3, playstation 4 etc will bwe have to buy the entire units even if the difference in the specs changes little? What I desire most of all is a cross between a console and a personal computer.

The reason why games can look better on consoles like playstation 2 than on PC because PCs are not all the same, they all have different specs, and for a company to sell off as many games as possible it creates games with the least spec. requirements as possible. Why create a game that only a few 1000 can play. That's where console come in. They're all the same. However, unlike the PC you are required to buy the complete unit when it goes obsolete (which happens instantly) then go to it's off spring.

What if you could buy a console and keep that console, when parts become obsolete, you take them in to be replaced with a newer component. You want the best console possible. Compare the dreamcast with the technology we have now, it's pretty much as obsolete as the mega drive. It's speed is pathetic and is a tiny fraction of what is possible now despite being released as a "gaming console of the future"

The benefits of being able to make your console more powerful will be more cost affective than throwing away older models and buying complete units. Not only that but you can save up for smaller console updates costing perhaps 30 pounds which can be gradually raised and not something like 300 pounds for a complete unit, no one has that much money to gather and spend in one purchase.

People want the most powerful games, the best of the bests, but how can you achieve that if the console you're using doesn't stretch it's abilities far enough to handle it. You want better games you update your console to handle it. That way we can easily keep up with new technology and still have the latest and most breath taking games now. The playstation 3 or even 4 will hardly come close to the capabilities we can do now let alone in 5+ years when they are realised.

Someone create a console that can grow, not decay in the corner of the room. A console that challenges new game developers, and not dumbs them down to the specs of an inferior machine. Buy a console that can grow with todays technology, not the technology of 10 years ago.

Bring in the console of the future and throw away the new console unit every 3 years which are already classified as "old technology"

My dream is the future of console gaming. It's time they gave us what we want not what they think we should have.
Sun 05/10/08 at 19:27
"The Boss Lady"
'Following the Dream' (2008)

Montage Film Reviews freelancer Amanda Saunders BA (Hons) has written a review of the film 'I Dreamt Under The Water (J'ai rêvé sous l'eau)' 2008 (dir. Hormoz Borbor). In which she provides detailed analysis of the film, using the basis of queer theory to understand character behaviour and identity.

To read the review see here
Thu 14/12/00 at 18:56
Regular
The N64 is fast because it uses catridges and not CDs however cartridges can't hold that much information and i stated many times. I want a PC/console. the problem with PCs is that they are not offical, there are 1000s of keyboards, 1000s of mice, and so on. Games work with some things, but wont work with others, I have a game that i can't even play because i don't even have a microsoft compatable mouse. Also the problem with playstations is that they produce games that aren't that good. Lets say you can make a really good game however the PC you need to play it on has to be really powerful, there maybe only a few 1000 that have computers with the right components and the correct cards so what's a 1000 people to a gaming company? No what they do is they create a game as basic as possible, the more basic it is the more most people with PCs can play it. If I created a very basica game, then i am sure everyone with a PC can play it, but if i created a extremely powerful computer than far less people can use it.

But if there were one company that created a selection of mice, keyboards, guns that worked with ALL it's games than that's great. The PC is great that you can update it with new technology but that technology is useless if there are enough people using it for gaming companies to take notice.

The cartridge is no longer going to be in the console world after the N64, especially as newer games require more and more data storage. A DVD can carry more information than 100+ N64 cartridges. It's obsolete, fast but very unefficient
Thu 14/12/00 at 14:56
You mention that the speed of the N64 is pathetic compared to that of the PC. In terms of loading time the N64 isn't slow at all. Everything works almost immediately. You repeatedly state that something needs to be brought out that can be upgraded instead of rotting in the corner in years to come - well what's the PC then I ask you? That can easily upgraded and in the long run will cost you a lot less money than spending money on the playstation, then the N64, then the PS2 etc.
Thu 14/12/00 at 14:52
You mention that the speed of the N64
Thu 14/12/00 at 05:43
Regular
I'm not sure if anyone else has suggested such an idea but I am sure they have so I just wanted to leave my little note.

I find it rather tedious that we have to wait several years and then buy the latest console, playstation 2, playstation 3, playstation 4 etc will bwe have to buy the entire units even if the difference in the specs changes little? What I desire most of all is a cross between a console and a personal computer.

The reason why games can look better on consoles like playstation 2 than on PC because PCs are not all the same, they all have different specs, and for a company to sell off as many games as possible it creates games with the least spec. requirements as possible. Why create a game that only a few 1000 can play. That's where console come in. They're all the same. However, unlike the PC you are required to buy the complete unit when it goes obsolete (which happens instantly) then go to it's off spring.

What if you could buy a console and keep that console, when parts become obsolete, you take them in to be replaced with a newer component. You want the best console possible. Compare the dreamcast with the technology we have now, it's pretty much as obsolete as the mega drive. It's speed is pathetic and is a tiny fraction of what is possible now despite being released as a "gaming console of the future"

The benefits of being able to make your console more powerful will be more cost affective than throwing away older models and buying complete units. Not only that but you can save up for smaller console updates costing perhaps 30 pounds which can be gradually raised and not something like 300 pounds for a complete unit, no one has that much money to gather and spend in one purchase.

People want the most powerful games, the best of the bests, but how can you achieve that if the console you're using doesn't stretch it's abilities far enough to handle it. You want better games you update your console to handle it. That way we can easily keep up with new technology and still have the latest and most breath taking games now. The playstation 3 or even 4 will hardly come close to the capabilities we can do now let alone in 5+ years when they are realised.

Someone create a console that can grow, not decay in the corner of the room. A console that challenges new game developers, and not dumbs them down to the specs of an inferior machine. Buy a console that can grow with todays technology, not the technology of 10 years ago.

Bring in the console of the future and throw away the new console unit every 3 years which are already classified as "old technology"

My dream is the future of console gaming. It's time they gave us what we want not what they think we should have.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.