GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"er-noooooo - camera question"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 25/11/02 at 01:27
Regular
Okay, here's the thing.

I'm saving up for a decent camera. And if I basically work all summer at my wonderful petrolium station job I can get something quite nice.

If I save a lot then I can get the Canon XL1S, which would rock, but it doesn't have a flip out screen, which means if I have less chance of persuading the film society to buy the steadicam JR because they have to get the one with the built in screen - also it may be a bit too heavy for the steadicam... not sure though...

Alternatively I can save less and get the Canon XM2, which has a screen but isn't as nice.

Am I likely to notice a huuuuge amount of difference between the two? Which would you recommend?
Mon 25/11/02 at 01:58
Regular
"everyone says it"
Ah crap, I am outta bed again now.

Yeah, thats one of the best features for the XLS is that you can change and reattach lenses. I saw a Panavision modified lense the other day whilst out with my dad.

*drools.

Only about seven times more expensive than the XLS. I am sure the bloody case it was in was about £2000 as well.

:-D
Mon 25/11/02 at 01:53
Regular
"everyone says it"
Will reply more in morning :) Bed now yay
Mon 25/11/02 at 01:50
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
The other neat thing about the XL1S is that you can use Canon EOS lenses with it.

My Dad does stills photography at football matches at the weekend and he has a nice range of EOS lenses...

*salivates*
Mon 25/11/02 at 01:47
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Thanks mate

I'm gradually pooling together the stuff I need to make my short film. And it should be awesome (I hope). I've tried shooting some of the stuff on my little sony handheld to get a rough idea of what it should look like and because I have to produce a rough edit of some scenes to convince others that it's my film they want to help make.

I want a steadicam. It's not vital but I could do so so so much more if I had one. And now I've planned out all the things I could do with a steadicam I *really* want one.

On the plus side my uni has excellent editing facilities, though I'm tempted to just do it on my PC on premiere.

It will rock when it's finished. But filming doesn't start for a while yet. Still writing and getting round to storyboarding (badly). Hopefully it will have an awesome Coens-ish start though, the problem is I need a mixture of steadicam and tripod shots for that.

Naturally I'm sooo looking forward to all the not spending I'm going to be doing in my savings goal :-)
Mon 25/11/02 at 01:37
Regular
"everyone says it"
The Canon series from the XL to the XM are fantastic cameras. Absolutely fantastic ones and whenever I can get my dirty paws on one I grab it and film and film. The lack of a screen shouldn't put you off and if you think about it... LCD's are really for people who don't know what they are filming and haven't really got a purpose with the camera (a mother filming her daughter doing ballet).

Also, with the Canon XLS it is a professional high end camera and as such if people know you are filming with it they will sit up and listen (Channel 4 use them for some Live Television as well as morning programs).

The Canon XM2 as you say, doesn't have what the XL series has purely because it wasn't built as a disposable industry camera (they call them disposable because they can afford to throw them away!).

Stafford (the best uni for film production course) has FANTASTIC equipment and the guy there recommends Canon over everything else. At the end of the day I think you will make a good choice no matter what.

Also, If you are that concerned about an LCD screen you could hook up a monitor for exterior viewing if the shot would allow it.

Also, I am quite sure (do not quote me) that the Stedicam can handle the XL, you could always make sure and I will double check this tommorrow for you.

Its your choice dude.
Mon 25/11/02 at 01:27
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
Okay, here's the thing.

I'm saving up for a decent camera. And if I basically work all summer at my wonderful petrolium station job I can get something quite nice.

If I save a lot then I can get the Canon XL1S, which would rock, but it doesn't have a flip out screen, which means if I have less chance of persuading the film society to buy the steadicam JR because they have to get the one with the built in screen - also it may be a bit too heavy for the steadicam... not sure though...

Alternatively I can save less and get the Canon XM2, which has a screen but isn't as nice.

Am I likely to notice a huuuuge amount of difference between the two? Which would you recommend?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.