GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PAL Releases Rant"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/11/02 at 19:07
Regular
I was just thinking that earlier this year, around July, when there was no good game releases up until Resi in September, that absolutely shedloads of games are coming out this christmas. And there still are, except many aren't.

Big games like Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball 2, Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, Resident Evil Zero, Wario World, and Galleon. I even remember a time when Animal Crossing and was slated for November. I was (although slightly ashamed to admit it) even looking forward to the Futurama game as I am a fan of the series. Yet there is no sign of them here yet. Which is stupid, as many of these games are already out in the US.

Of course, there's the fact that many of the games just aren't ready at all. But the games out in the US are finished, yet still we have to wait for a PAL release as the game needs to be translated into four or five extra languages. And in a game like animal crossing, it is taking six months.

Why isn't there a version of the game we can have which is for PAL but only has English on it. It would cut down game waiting times incredibly. OK, this is very unlikely, as it would cost too much to make two PAL versions of the game (and when I get bored I have been known to muck about with the language just to see what the menu of my games looks like in a different language). However, until Freeloader/Action Replay comes out (that will be never then), us European gamers are having to wait a huge time (it certainly feels like it) for the big hitters to come out here. It's a problem for all consoles, but I think more of a problem for Nintendo.

The big N's games are often (trying to avoid the word better) ermmm.... more complex than many other dross that appears on the three main consoles and has more text to translate (animal crossing, anyone?), and as GameCube is the only console to get Ninty games, this means we are at the disadvantage as we have to wait longer for our exclusive titles.

Another thing - Ninty the old rascals must persist in bringing out games that have NEW IDEAS in them, like Pikmin, Doshin, Animal Crossing, Animal Leader (now renamed Cubivore). No one has ever done games quite like these before and so Nintendo has to wait, see if it's going to work in the US, and then wait a bit more, then do some research, and then wait a bit more, and then finally we might get the game. There are some casualties in this that never even make it through. Doshin the Giant isn't released in the US and is looking unlikely ever to be released outside Japan and PAL territories. But then the US gets Cubivore which looks increasingly unlikely to get a PAL release.

One problem with saying that these games should be out sooner though. After buying eight games since September, which is only two months ago, I am absolutley broke. For Christmas presents are StarFox, Tony Hawks 4, Mario Party and Star Wars (Clone Wars or Jedi Knight). I can't get more games for Christmas and am in debt to my parents. But if the games were coming out (animal crossing especially) I would have had to rob a bank or become a stripper or ANYTHING just to get the money to buy them. Hmm... a stripper, eh? Maybe it's better to the world if the games don't come out till I have the money....
Mon 25/11/02 at 22:51
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Miserableman wrote:
> Don't you know anything? It takes them 6 months to translate it from
> US English to UK English.

come off it! when do they have the time to put it into other languages then? and hardly anything is changed from american english to uk english. i'd doubt if they even bother. i am always playing games where there are 'faucets' and 'sidewalks' and 'drapes'.
Sun 24/11/02 at 23:49
Regular
um, no it doesnt

youd be surprised what it is that takes the longest, but i assure you it isnt the language!

its more like the resolution, the refresh rates the licensing and the advertising that takes the time.
Sun 24/11/02 at 23:40
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Don't you know anything? It takes them 6 months to translate it from US English to UK English.
Sun 24/11/02 at 23:24
Regular
auf deutsch wrote:
> We can't all afford to get modded consoles and to import games :-(

why not?
if you could afford to buy a cube then you can afford a modded one

they cost about £20 more than a UK one
games arent any more expensive!

then again, i must take into consideration most of you are at school still so dont have jobs.

otherwise i think you should get one

importing will not make nintendo care lessa bout the UK market!
importing has been going on for years with no noticable effect!
why should it make a difference now?!
on the up side, it may make nintendo realise how fed up we are of waiting!
Sun 24/11/02 at 20:59
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Not freeloader btw.

Its a converter thing..
Sun 24/11/02 at 20:58
Regular
"Formally:Ev][L~DarK"
Isn't there an thing allows have the GC Play on PAL instead without chipping it?
Sun 24/11/02 at 20:52
Regular
Don't import consoles or games - only if they're not coming out over here. If everyone had that attitude, then Nintendo would start caring less and less about the UK market as sales decreased. Plus, you'll get a better experience by waiting for UK games.
Sun 24/11/02 at 20:19
Regular
"^_^"
Just wait for freeloader. It isn't going to be that much longer. And it wil only cos your £15 from www.play.com
Sun 24/11/02 at 20:06
Regular
"thursdayton!"
i know. but i don't know if i should wait or not.
Sun 24/11/02 at 20:00
Regular
Tphi wrote:
> auf deutsch wrote:
> We can't all afford to get modded consoles and to import games :-(
>
> yeah, you obviosly didn't read it all as I said at the end how I was
> in debt. Modding the console means sending it away, which i don't want
> to do
> because 1)- no cube until they send it back and 2) it costs money -
> something i don't have much of at the moment.
>
> Chipping or waiting for freeloader???? help anyone?

I was talking to Alcofrolic

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.