GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Please Read"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/12/00 at 20:47
Regular
Hello. My name is Ant. As most of you know, I am a PS2 fan. I am getting one in January. I would like to know what YOU think of you're PS2. I want no biasism, and don't lie.
Here how YOU can give different aspects of what you think the PS2 is like. All marks are out of 5.

The Actual Console: This is based on looks, the specs, and how it plays the games. Also on the price.

The Launch Games: This is what you think of the launch games overall. If you think most launch games are great, give it a high mark. If you think otherwise, give it a lower mark. This also includes prices.

Future Games: The same as above, but write what you think of the future PS2 games.

Accessories: This is what you think of Controllers, Memory Cards, Multi Taps and other PS2 accessories.

DVD: What do you think of the PS2's DVD Quality.

If you would like to hear about offers from Ant's Quality PS2 Quality Products Store, then please reply with the word: CLASSIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This belongs to Ant's Quality PS2 Quality Products Store, and is subject to copyright.
Sat 16/12/00 at 01:47
Here here, i'll drink to that.
Fri 15/12/00 at 22:47
Regular
"Whatever!"
The actual console itself -looks great, better standing vertical. It plays games with no problem at all. I have over 20 PSOne games now and all of them are compatible, some do look a lot better when set on high and some even seem to load quicker. PS2 games have three now, SSX, TTT and Theme Park World. These are all great titles and addictive to play, easy to get into but difficult to master plenty of long term play and all great value for money.
The launch games I must admit I wasnt entirely over impressed. Only TTT and SSX I felt would be the best ones to buy, although I have been impressed with a couple of demos (movies) FIFA 2001, Timesplitters and Fantavision but I doubt I will be buying any of them. The best launch game I think is SSX. It is a fantastic game, addictive, difficult and a lot to do and uncover. EA have done a wonderfull job using the power of the machine and it shows whilst playing - I would give it 9/10.
The prices of games, from Special Reserve seem to be the cheapest I have seen and I dont mind paying £37 a time. Some shop prices are a bit steep, £45 for Wild Wild Racing?? The future games are looking fab-u-lous!! Metal Gear 2 and Gran Turismo 3 are the imediate choice and I think these will revolutionize things. Also looking forward to Moto GP, Star Wars Starfighter, Star Wars Super Bombad Racing, Star Wars Online, Wipeout Fusion, Silent Hill 2, The Getaway, Futurama ?, Final Fantasy ?, Res Evil ?, Dino Crisis ?, ISS Evolution ?, Medal of Honor ?. I can go on forever, there are loads of titles that have caught my attention. With so many in development there are bound to be cassic after classic!!
The controllers are great. I have a DC, N64 and all the other consoles I have owned I can honestly say that PSX controllers are the most comfortable. Memory Card (8Mb) only need one for the time being but might get another in the near future, stores an unbelievable ammount of data, well worth it. These are the only add ons I have at the moment plus the vertical stand. Anything I get in the future will only be official Sony stuff, I dont trust 'fake' companies products!!
DVD wise player is brilliant. The picture is crystal clear the sound a lot better and the controls are easy to get to grip with. All the extras work and I havent had any trouble, well apart from unable to get rid of subtitles through a film.
Overall my Playstation 2 is the best thing I could possibly have got. After waiting for nearly a year to get it I am loving every minute I spend on it. Have a load of quality games both PS2 and PSOne and there are some stunning games coming out over the next year. This is the start of Sony's world dominance all over again!!
Fri 15/12/00 at 19:54
i dont care what anybody else says i think that the PS2 looks exellent.

Have you ever seen the film 2001:Space Oddyess the PS2 = The monolyth, with its slick and stylish look of UNSEEN power!!!

well thats what i tink
Fri 15/12/00 at 11:12
Regular
"Complete Banker"
Console itself......
Looks better than any other console - especially vertical!
The specs are good. Ok so not as good as the GC or X-Box, but those won't be out for over a year. Overall - 5/5

Launch games.
I've only got TTT and TimeSplitters. TTT is the best Tekken yet, with improvements in every area. Ok so it's not a massive leap forward (excluding graphics - which are great) but the Tag option adds hugely to the gameplay and Tekken Bowl is cool.
Timesplitters is excellent - especially if you have a multitap and 3 friends. One player will keep you amused for a while too - especially the challanges. Graphics; everything that you'd expect from the worlds most powerful console.
The other games, with the exclusion of SSX, don't appeal to me as much. But 16 launch games....!!!!!
I'd give 4/5

Future games.
Over the next year we can look forward to the best games ever created: MGS2, GT3, The Bouncer, Project Eden, WRC 2001 to name but 5. All will set new standards for the genre and stun all those DC-philes into submission.
Without a doubt 5/5

Accessories. (Can I spell?)
The Dual Shock 2 is the best controller ever made. People slated Sony for not creating a new controller - but why change something that works? It's perfect.
The memory cards are expensive, but will come down in price sooner rather than later. But think about it: a memory card 8 times bigger and 250 times faster than a PS1 card for just 2 1/2 times as much - not too bad
4/5

Finally DVD playback.
Good, very good. Being a person who isn't rich enough to own a DVD player (Hey I'm a Student!) It's a fantastic addition. So it's not as good quality as a £700 DVD player, but for £300 - you can't complain.
4/5 (but for the money 5/5)
Thu 14/12/00 at 02:30
Here here! The PS2 might not look like much right this moment, but just wait on how good it will appear in a years time when the Integrated Internet/Hard drive come out. If we can't wait a year, then March will do when The Bouncer comes out. This was a Jaw-Dropping game for me, but with Squaresoft being unleashed on a Powerful Console, that is hardly surprising!

If you can't afford £39.99 or whatever the price of the games, then you can always go to Blockbusters and get a Free Membership. They are starting to see my face a lot now, as I get rentals out quite a bit, and trying the PS2 Games is a good idea, but with a £50 Deposit you can't go mad at renting them all! Good thing it's for the first 10! £3.50 for 2 Nights. I got out Orphen, and after 2 Hours I got bored with it! I did not feel in control and died too often! Who else did not like this game??? My trust still rests with Squaresoft!
Wed 13/12/00 at 23:48
"High polygon count"
> The Actual Console: This is based on looks, the specs, and how it
> plays the games. Also on the price.

Looks: Well, I think it looks great - especially if you stand it vertically.

Specs: It may or may not be bettered by either the GameCube or X-Box, but at this moment in time, it's about the best you can get.

Price: £300 is a lot of money in anyone's book. I personally think it's a bargain.

Total mark: 5/5

> The Launch Games:

Software: Not completely amazing, but to be honest, I wasn't expecting it to be. That said, there are some very good games. Tekken Tag, NHL2001, TimeSplitters, and of course the astounding SSX.

Prices: Very good. With the exception of SSX, the RRP of all the games is actually £5 less than PlayStation games cost five years ago.

Total mark: Based purely on titles available, I'd say 3/5. With the pricing, probably 3.5/5

> Future Games: The same as above, but write what you think of the
> future PS2 games.

Games to come look mind-blowing. For me, 4.5/5 minimum, providing they live up to expectations. Considering the people/companies they're from, I doubt there'll be any problems there!

> Accessories: This is what you think of Controllers, Memory Cards,
> Multi Taps and other PS2 accessories.

For me, the Dual Shock is the best controller ever created. Dual Shock 2's analogue buttons are simply an improvement on perfection. Multi-Tap is great if you need one. Memory cards are on the expensive side. The horizontal stand may look nice, but is really a complete irrelevance. I think all of Sony's own peripherals are top-notch, though, so...

Peripherals: 5/5

> DVD: What do you think of the PS2's DVD Quality.

This is the one major problem area for me. The actual quality of the DVD playback is fine. If my Sony DVP-S725D is a 5/5 then PS2 is a definite 4/5.

However! I think Sony have made a major c***-up in the UK by disabling true RGB output on DVD playback. Why on Earth they think that the UK buyers are more likely to copy DVD's than the rest of the world is beyond me. In my opinion, this also goes completely against their claims that PS2 is an entertainment system and not a console.

So, based purely on the quality of DVD playback - 4/5. If you are bothered about the RGB issue, then probably only 2.5 or 3/5.

In short, if you were completely sucked in by the media hype abuot PS2 and are expecting some miracle machine, you may well be disappointed. On the other hand, if you know your stuff, picked your way through the hype, and were expecting a very good or excellent machine, you will still be impressed.

I was expecting it to be excellent, but I'm still in the process of digging my jaw out of the floor.

Remember though, these are just *my* thoughts and opinions. I have been as unbiased as I can be, but if you are impressed by something, you will be influenced in favour of it.
Wed 13/12/00 at 21:02
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Grix, you ARE psychic. I was just about to say that in reply to Eggsomebody on the FOG forum.

Something strange stopped me though

(Humm)
Wed 13/12/00 at 20:59
Regular
Humm?...
Wed 13/12/00 at 20:55
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
I highly recommend Special Reserve, who's loyal PS2 depositee's who wait until after Xmas for their PS2 will all get a nice little bonus freebie with it
Wed 13/12/00 at 20:52
Regular
"I like cheese"
I've asked theslammer about that. I'll get a reply tomorrow. But Feb's good enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.