GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can't be coincidence, surely....?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 20/11/02 at 14:36
Regular
Did you know that the suns diameter is 400 times larger than that of the moon?

Yet the moon is 400 times close to us than the sun is, so they appear the same size - hence we get total eclipses from time to time.

Am I the only one to think that it's a hefty coicidence for this to occur naturally? Surely it proves something? Not sure what it does prove, but it must be something...
Thu 21/11/02 at 10:27
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
But it has to be a coincidence so we can talk about it, so it's kinda irrelevant.
Wed 20/11/02 at 22:46
Regular
"Want a cd key.."
Hm, probably means that they'll collide or something silly..

But thats about 15millions years away or something and by then they'll have flying invisible cars or something.

*Shrugs*
Wed 20/11/02 at 22:44
Regular
"~a Libertine~"
Yup something like a drift effect occurs. Dont know exactly what it is but I think it adds a few feet to the distance from the earth to the moon every 900 years or so. So there will be no co-incidence in 1000000 years or so. Sweet.
Wed 20/11/02 at 16:06
Regular
"I like cheese"
*smiles*
Wed 20/11/02 at 15:29
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I wondered about this at that eclipse age ago

I always imagined Earth being in a Space Holiday book with an eclipse as an added extra or something.

Em
Wed 20/11/02 at 15:20
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
I think in about 20000 to 200000 years the moons orbit will have changed enough so that there will be no more 100% total eclipses of the sun....
just something I heard on tv :)
Wed 20/11/02 at 15:19
Regular
Ah, but as with everthing in cosmology, you can just "give or take 20%" as my A-Level teacher told me.
Wed 20/11/02 at 15:15
"Darkness, always"
Your Honour wrote:
> Well, maybe not exactly, but it's close enough.
>
> The fact the when a complete solar eclipse is occuring, the suns
> corona can be seen means that it's a pretty damn close match.

you could add a few million tonnes of rock to the moon, and it would make no discernable difference. Hardly that close a match.
Wed 20/11/02 at 14:50
Regular
"everyone says it"
Yeah, but if the figures were different and the moon totally eclipsed the sun then people would be saying that is a coincidence as well.

Meh.
Wed 20/11/02 at 14:42
Regular
Well, maybe not exactly, but it's close enough.

The fact the when a complete solar eclipse is occuring, the suns corona can be seen means that it's a pretty damn close match.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.