GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[MUSIC] 'Here I Stand' by Usher (album)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 23/09/08 at 22:05
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
***USHER'D ASK FOR A REFUND***

Introduction:
Usher…no not the person who opens your doors or tells you which side of the church to sit on, we're talking about the 29 year old pop/r'n'b singer from Texas. He first brought attention to himself back in the 90s with the hit song, 'You Make Me Wanna' (charting at #2) and then went on to have big chart success with 8 more number 1's, appeared in a few films and even went on to star on Broadway in 'Chicago'. Arguably his biggest single to date was 'Yeah!' (charting at #1, and staying there for 6 weeks) from his 2004 album 'Confessions'.

4 years later, comes his 5th studio album 'Here I Stand', not selling as well as his last, but still doing reasonably well none the less. Although it seems he peaked with his latter album, oh well. The original track line up included work with Timbaland and Mario Winans, but strangely, they never made it onto the album. Maybe that's testament to the quality of the album, as surely the other tracks must be good, or they wouldn't need work by such prolific industry big shots…ah hem…let's pretend we didn't say that and move swiftly on.

This album has been described as Usher's take on growing up and becoming a man. His previous efforts were hailed more as the 'fun' Usher - having nights out, enjoying himself, but with 'Here I Stand' we hear a more intimate reflection and self analysis of the man he has become. Joy!

The Album:

1) Forever Young 4.23
This song instantly introduces to the 'new' sophisticated Usher. And, indeed he does sound like a more diverse performer as he confidently takes us through this ballad, with dips and caresses of a more bluesy number, that leaves echoes of the way that Christina Aguilera gave a more heart felt approach to her album 'Stripped'.

2) Love In The Club (feat. Young Jeezy) 4.19
And it just goes downhill from there. Sorry, ok, yes this was his first single, but it's so bland and generic sounding and choral sentiment is laughable - he wants to make love in this club? What is he, some kinky exhibitionist? Although, I can't say I wouldn't mind copping a load of Usher in his skimpies, but puh-lease, the thought of him doing the rudies in a club, quite frankly makes me want to be sick. The overall sound is like a ballad thrown on top of an R'n'B mid tempo hash. Rubbish!

3) This Ain't Sex 4.24
A lot more soulful with licks of beats, that make this track much more steady and bop-your-head-along-esque. Usher, seeming to be somewhat nympho, tells us how he doesn't have sex, but rather…he 'makes' love…well quite frankly dear, anyone who wants have sex in public places, namely a sweaty club, has to go a long way to convince us that he a gentleman who corrects the terminology and reference to love making. (I also like how he eloquently uses the word 'aint')

4) Trading Places 4.28
Now, if you didn't agree that Usher has a one track mind, this song should confirm it. Again we have here a mid tempo song, a few notches up from a ballad. But, instead of perhaps (considering the title) expecting some rhetoric about class divide or the struggle for financial freedom, think again, as with 'trading places', Usher is referring to 'top' or 'bottom'…delightful.

5) Moving Mountains 4.00
O joy, another slow one, with an essence of trying to be a credible, beaty track. Vocally, he sounds whiny and miles away from the so-called 'mature' Usher. Hmmm. This is his second single from the album…never mind!

6) What's Your Name (feat. Will.I.Am) 3.58
This is probably the first interesting track on the album, thanks to the dabblings of Black Eyed Peas' front man, Will.I.Am. It has a more rounded and developed sound, sythny with drips of r'n'b but with a more overall experimental feel. Not incredibly memorable, but still, probably one of the best so far on the album.

7) Prayer for You Interlude 1.43
Where's the bucket? Who the blinky blonky thought it would be a good idea to hear a baby grumbling and crying on a track? Just when you thought you couldn't stand to hear babies cry, they go and put it on his record, nice! The baby is question, is Usher's son, who has obviously given him enough joy to include him on the record, that is obviously dedicated to him. Some people will call it cute, I call it annoying. If I wanted to know about his babies, I would read OK! Magazine! Get on with bringing us the good records please mr.Usher, enough of this 'I have a baby and will sing to him' shananagins!

8) Something Special 3.57
Before I heard this, judging by the content of the album thus far, I thought, I bet I know what this song is about…shock horror I was wrong. The something special isn't what he's hiding down his pants, he's singing about the relationship he has with his lady, hurrah! This one sounds much more acoustic. Think Extreme's 'More Than Words', but slightly faster, with an r'n'b flair…and oh yeah, nowhere near as good!

9) Love You Gently 3.39
O goodie…another ballad…what happened to the songs along the ilk of 'Yeah!'…sappy nonsense this is! No prizes for guessing the theme of this number…next track please…bored now!

10) Best Thing (feat. Jay-Z) 3.54
Ok, that's better, he's picked up the pace a bit, but not by too much. With the help of Mr.Beyonce this track is certainly a few cuts above the mindless drivvle we've heard so far. Ok, so that's a bit harsh, but this one does stand out so far. Althogugh I have heard much better collaborations with Jay-Z, maybe he doesn't want to give too much away?

11) Before I Met You 4.56
This song isn't bad, but I don't know, maybe I've grown to instantly dislike every song on the album before I hear them. The chorus is catchy and he sounds much stronger vocally, but there's something about this song that makes me think that I've heard it before. Unless of course it is a cover, but in any case, it's not as good as I feel it should be.

12) His Mistakes 4.59
What is it with all these 5 minute songs? Value? Yes. Quality? Hmm. Surprise surprise, another slow one, again a notch above you're typical ballad, but still I'm left wondering when I'm going to hear something that is distinctively different from everything else, or that makes me sit up and think 'what an artist!'

13) Appetite 3.58
Ok, this is a step forward. A faster track with more dance potential, but still not quite up there. Lyrically, believe it or not, the ever reserved Usher is singing to us about his appetite for the ladies. Whether or not this is a purposefully lead campaign to clear up and confusion over his sexuality, what with the ambiguity of his 'top' or 'bottom' dilemma in track4, it still doesn't have that most important message of 'Listen up, I am a singing force to be reckoned with, move over Mr.Jackson'. (I'm referring to Michael, incase anyone thought I meant Randy…you know you thought it!)

14) What's a Man to Do 4.09
I like this one, about time really. It reminds me of Rihanna's song 'Hate How Much I Love You'. It has an overall ballad approach, but disguised rather skillfully into a much better paced song. There are highs and lows that give light and shade, giving this track more complexity than most on the album so far. Vocally sound, yet lyrically dull. We were nearly there though!

15) Revolver 3.16
Is this about a gun, or someone who likes to turn on the spot a lot? There is far too much falsetto on this song, making Usher sound like he's in a competition with Mr.Timberlake. He tells us how a close personal lady friend of his, is like a Revolver, because she's spiteful and can cut him up. Why waste the time writing a song about it then…especially if it's not that good!

16) Lifetime 4.36
This is getting ridiculous. More sappy and slow drivvle. Skip skip skip

17) Love In This Club pt2 (feat. Beyonce, Lil Wayne and Young Jezzy) 5.09
In case we didn't hear his f*tish loud and clear last time, here he comes again, with a whole 309 seconds (yes, I can add up) of it. This time enlisting the help of more 'rent-an-artist' friends, in the name of Mrs.Jay Z (of course I mean Beyonce) and someone called Wayne (who is little apparently) and some other Jezzy. So what have we learnt? Well, it would appear that Usher needs to fill his album and this is the only way he can feel fit do so. Shame. If you want to know what I thought of it, reread what I wrote for Track2, but imagine a slow and painful death at the same time. That should sum it up.

18) Here I Stand 4.10
This song is slow, sappy and far too sentimental than is good for an album, comprising of such things. However, paradoxically, I like it. Which is lucky, as it is the album's title track, there is always a strange sense of pressure for those songs to be good'uns. I would rather this song was sung by a group such as 'Boys2Men' as I think they would do a better job, but all in all, it's really not that bad…if you like that kind of thing…which I don't really…strange, n'est pas?

19) Will Work for Love 3.16
For Lordy's sake Usher, will you just be quiet already! Ok, that is harsh too, as this song isn't that bad, but guess what, it isn't that great! Its far too self righteous and oozing with mistaken sensibilities of 'I am a grown up, I will make things work for me, I will love rightly' - whatever Usher! Blah blah blah…just sing us a song that we can tap our feet too and not need to go on a course of prozak to lift our spirits!

Album rating: 4/10 (he gets an extra point for being pretty)

So, what have we learnt today?
Since listening to this album, I've learnt that Usher doesn't do good music anymore. I've learnt that Usher has a strange penchant for exhibitionism and may be doing far too many rudies out of doors (especially in nightclubs) than is legal. I've learnt that Beyonce probably got jealous (no idea why) that her husband did a song with Usher, so she had to do one too. I've also learnt that I regret not borrowing this album before I bought it, thus saving myself a tener. I've learnt that 19 is really too high a number for the amount of tracks on such a poor album. Oh, and I've also learnt that Usher has a son, and that I couldn't care less.

Wonderful stuff.

Not recommended

© MarcoG 2008
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Tue 23/09/08 at 22:05
Regular
"Thinking and typing"
***USHER'D ASK FOR A REFUND***

Introduction:
Usher…no not the person who opens your doors or tells you which side of the church to sit on, we're talking about the 29 year old pop/r'n'b singer from Texas. He first brought attention to himself back in the 90s with the hit song, 'You Make Me Wanna' (charting at #2) and then went on to have big chart success with 8 more number 1's, appeared in a few films and even went on to star on Broadway in 'Chicago'. Arguably his biggest single to date was 'Yeah!' (charting at #1, and staying there for 6 weeks) from his 2004 album 'Confessions'.

4 years later, comes his 5th studio album 'Here I Stand', not selling as well as his last, but still doing reasonably well none the less. Although it seems he peaked with his latter album, oh well. The original track line up included work with Timbaland and Mario Winans, but strangely, they never made it onto the album. Maybe that's testament to the quality of the album, as surely the other tracks must be good, or they wouldn't need work by such prolific industry big shots…ah hem…let's pretend we didn't say that and move swiftly on.

This album has been described as Usher's take on growing up and becoming a man. His previous efforts were hailed more as the 'fun' Usher - having nights out, enjoying himself, but with 'Here I Stand' we hear a more intimate reflection and self analysis of the man he has become. Joy!

The Album:

1) Forever Young 4.23
This song instantly introduces to the 'new' sophisticated Usher. And, indeed he does sound like a more diverse performer as he confidently takes us through this ballad, with dips and caresses of a more bluesy number, that leaves echoes of the way that Christina Aguilera gave a more heart felt approach to her album 'Stripped'.

2) Love In The Club (feat. Young Jeezy) 4.19
And it just goes downhill from there. Sorry, ok, yes this was his first single, but it's so bland and generic sounding and choral sentiment is laughable - he wants to make love in this club? What is he, some kinky exhibitionist? Although, I can't say I wouldn't mind copping a load of Usher in his skimpies, but puh-lease, the thought of him doing the rudies in a club, quite frankly makes me want to be sick. The overall sound is like a ballad thrown on top of an R'n'B mid tempo hash. Rubbish!

3) This Ain't Sex 4.24
A lot more soulful with licks of beats, that make this track much more steady and bop-your-head-along-esque. Usher, seeming to be somewhat nympho, tells us how he doesn't have sex, but rather…he 'makes' love…well quite frankly dear, anyone who wants have sex in public places, namely a sweaty club, has to go a long way to convince us that he a gentleman who corrects the terminology and reference to love making. (I also like how he eloquently uses the word 'aint')

4) Trading Places 4.28
Now, if you didn't agree that Usher has a one track mind, this song should confirm it. Again we have here a mid tempo song, a few notches up from a ballad. But, instead of perhaps (considering the title) expecting some rhetoric about class divide or the struggle for financial freedom, think again, as with 'trading places', Usher is referring to 'top' or 'bottom'…delightful.

5) Moving Mountains 4.00
O joy, another slow one, with an essence of trying to be a credible, beaty track. Vocally, he sounds whiny and miles away from the so-called 'mature' Usher. Hmmm. This is his second single from the album…never mind!

6) What's Your Name (feat. Will.I.Am) 3.58
This is probably the first interesting track on the album, thanks to the dabblings of Black Eyed Peas' front man, Will.I.Am. It has a more rounded and developed sound, sythny with drips of r'n'b but with a more overall experimental feel. Not incredibly memorable, but still, probably one of the best so far on the album.

7) Prayer for You Interlude 1.43
Where's the bucket? Who the blinky blonky thought it would be a good idea to hear a baby grumbling and crying on a track? Just when you thought you couldn't stand to hear babies cry, they go and put it on his record, nice! The baby is question, is Usher's son, who has obviously given him enough joy to include him on the record, that is obviously dedicated to him. Some people will call it cute, I call it annoying. If I wanted to know about his babies, I would read OK! Magazine! Get on with bringing us the good records please mr.Usher, enough of this 'I have a baby and will sing to him' shananagins!

8) Something Special 3.57
Before I heard this, judging by the content of the album thus far, I thought, I bet I know what this song is about…shock horror I was wrong. The something special isn't what he's hiding down his pants, he's singing about the relationship he has with his lady, hurrah! This one sounds much more acoustic. Think Extreme's 'More Than Words', but slightly faster, with an r'n'b flair…and oh yeah, nowhere near as good!

9) Love You Gently 3.39
O goodie…another ballad…what happened to the songs along the ilk of 'Yeah!'…sappy nonsense this is! No prizes for guessing the theme of this number…next track please…bored now!

10) Best Thing (feat. Jay-Z) 3.54
Ok, that's better, he's picked up the pace a bit, but not by too much. With the help of Mr.Beyonce this track is certainly a few cuts above the mindless drivvle we've heard so far. Ok, so that's a bit harsh, but this one does stand out so far. Althogugh I have heard much better collaborations with Jay-Z, maybe he doesn't want to give too much away?

11) Before I Met You 4.56
This song isn't bad, but I don't know, maybe I've grown to instantly dislike every song on the album before I hear them. The chorus is catchy and he sounds much stronger vocally, but there's something about this song that makes me think that I've heard it before. Unless of course it is a cover, but in any case, it's not as good as I feel it should be.

12) His Mistakes 4.59
What is it with all these 5 minute songs? Value? Yes. Quality? Hmm. Surprise surprise, another slow one, again a notch above you're typical ballad, but still I'm left wondering when I'm going to hear something that is distinctively different from everything else, or that makes me sit up and think 'what an artist!'

13) Appetite 3.58
Ok, this is a step forward. A faster track with more dance potential, but still not quite up there. Lyrically, believe it or not, the ever reserved Usher is singing to us about his appetite for the ladies. Whether or not this is a purposefully lead campaign to clear up and confusion over his sexuality, what with the ambiguity of his 'top' or 'bottom' dilemma in track4, it still doesn't have that most important message of 'Listen up, I am a singing force to be reckoned with, move over Mr.Jackson'. (I'm referring to Michael, incase anyone thought I meant Randy…you know you thought it!)

14) What's a Man to Do 4.09
I like this one, about time really. It reminds me of Rihanna's song 'Hate How Much I Love You'. It has an overall ballad approach, but disguised rather skillfully into a much better paced song. There are highs and lows that give light and shade, giving this track more complexity than most on the album so far. Vocally sound, yet lyrically dull. We were nearly there though!

15) Revolver 3.16
Is this about a gun, or someone who likes to turn on the spot a lot? There is far too much falsetto on this song, making Usher sound like he's in a competition with Mr.Timberlake. He tells us how a close personal lady friend of his, is like a Revolver, because she's spiteful and can cut him up. Why waste the time writing a song about it then…especially if it's not that good!

16) Lifetime 4.36
This is getting ridiculous. More sappy and slow drivvle. Skip skip skip

17) Love In This Club pt2 (feat. Beyonce, Lil Wayne and Young Jezzy) 5.09
In case we didn't hear his f*tish loud and clear last time, here he comes again, with a whole 309 seconds (yes, I can add up) of it. This time enlisting the help of more 'rent-an-artist' friends, in the name of Mrs.Jay Z (of course I mean Beyonce) and someone called Wayne (who is little apparently) and some other Jezzy. So what have we learnt? Well, it would appear that Usher needs to fill his album and this is the only way he can feel fit do so. Shame. If you want to know what I thought of it, reread what I wrote for Track2, but imagine a slow and painful death at the same time. That should sum it up.

18) Here I Stand 4.10
This song is slow, sappy and far too sentimental than is good for an album, comprising of such things. However, paradoxically, I like it. Which is lucky, as it is the album's title track, there is always a strange sense of pressure for those songs to be good'uns. I would rather this song was sung by a group such as 'Boys2Men' as I think they would do a better job, but all in all, it's really not that bad…if you like that kind of thing…which I don't really…strange, n'est pas?

19) Will Work for Love 3.16
For Lordy's sake Usher, will you just be quiet already! Ok, that is harsh too, as this song isn't that bad, but guess what, it isn't that great! Its far too self righteous and oozing with mistaken sensibilities of 'I am a grown up, I will make things work for me, I will love rightly' - whatever Usher! Blah blah blah…just sing us a song that we can tap our feet too and not need to go on a course of prozak to lift our spirits!

Album rating: 4/10 (he gets an extra point for being pretty)

So, what have we learnt today?
Since listening to this album, I've learnt that Usher doesn't do good music anymore. I've learnt that Usher has a strange penchant for exhibitionism and may be doing far too many rudies out of doors (especially in nightclubs) than is legal. I've learnt that Beyonce probably got jealous (no idea why) that her husband did a song with Usher, so she had to do one too. I've also learnt that I regret not borrowing this album before I bought it, thus saving myself a tener. I've learnt that 19 is really too high a number for the amount of tracks on such a poor album. Oh, and I've also learnt that Usher has a son, and that I couldn't care less.

Wonderful stuff.

Not recommended

© MarcoG 2008

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.