GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"{Movie} You Don’t Mess With the Zohan"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/09/08 at 12:06
Regular
"Hello?"
You Don’t Mess With the Zohan

Upon seeing the trailer and reading the synopsis of this movie I didn’t quite know if it was really a movie for me. Being a fan of Adam Sandlers previous successful films like; Happy Gilmore, Mr Deeds and Little Nicky to name a few, I decided to give it a go. The movie is co written by Adam Sandler and Robert Smigel, the two wrote the majority of the script back in 2000. Following the events of 9/11 and the terrorist themes within the movie it was delayed from hitting our screens until now, Zohan has finally been unleashed!

Adam Sandler plays Zohan Dvir, an Israeli Special Forces soldier who is a highly skilled fighter, the Israeli’s secret weapon. Zohan leads a superstar lifestyle, well known across his country as a true warrior, a hero. It appears that this is not what Zohan is happy doing, and in somewhat of a comical twist he announces that becoming a hair stylist is the only career for him. He tries to tell his parents what he wants to do but stuck in their ways they just laugh it off as a joke. So in a battle with an enemy The Phantom, Zohan seizes the opportunity to leave Israel and head for the bright lights of New York leading all to believe he has been defeated.

Sporting a hairstyle that was popular twenty years ago Zohan embarks on his mission to make it in the western world as a hair stylist. Zohan doesn’t exactly fit in and this provides some great comical sketches. Trying to get a job Zohan approaches some of the most famous salons in New York, and is subject to an onslaught of laughter, failing to get into the industry.

Zohan finally gets a break which is somewhat controversial as he gets a job sweeping up hair for a Palestinian owned salon. The salon is struggling financially and needs a massive boost of cash if it’s going to survive. When one of the stylists quits, Zohan gets the break he has been waiting for, finally able to make people’s hair silky smooth. Adapting the normal experience of the hair cut Zohan proves very popular with the middle aged women, offering them a little bonus after the haircut if you get what I mean! The sex takes it’s toll on Zohan and eventually he is unable to provide the extra service as he has fallen for the Palestinian salon owner and announces she is the only one he can do sticky with.

The business begins to pick up for the Salon and Zohan soon becomes a renowned success, with people queuing for an appointment. The Phantom who thought he had defeated Zohan hears of this news and travels to New York to finish the battle for Good. After a few scuffles and an appearance from Mariah Carey a truce between the two nations is made. With The Phantom revealing he too is bored of fighting and has always dreamt of selling shoes. The one woman Zohan always wanted to do ‘sticky’ with is now eventually his.

The movie houses some great comical scenes, providing entertainment throughout. It’s not one of Adam Sandlers best roles to date but it still made me laugh. After you get over the initial annoyance of Zohans accent it proves to be quite a light hearted and enjoyable film to watch. It didn’t drag at any point which allowed for the humour to flow continuously. The references to terrorism are very light hearted and if anything mocks the western worlds views of a stereotypical terrorist.

A Silky Smooth Comedy 8/10
Tue 23/09/08 at 13:21
Regular
"I like turtles"
Took my daughter to see this and found it painfully unfunny.Everyone likes different stuff I suppose ?.
Tue 23/09/08 at 12:54
Regular
"THFC"
I really like Zohan - i thought it was just Adam Sandler being funny for an hour, no real plot like any of his films. some politcal incorrectness thrown in for humour. All in all a good film
Tue 23/09/08 at 10:05
"possibly impossible"
Nice review.

I was interested by the trailers for this, but Adam Sandler can be either really funny or really bad and I didn't know where this one would fit.

It's still a decision between this and Tropic Thunder, though!
Mon 22/09/08 at 12:06
Regular
"Hello?"
You Don’t Mess With the Zohan

Upon seeing the trailer and reading the synopsis of this movie I didn’t quite know if it was really a movie for me. Being a fan of Adam Sandlers previous successful films like; Happy Gilmore, Mr Deeds and Little Nicky to name a few, I decided to give it a go. The movie is co written by Adam Sandler and Robert Smigel, the two wrote the majority of the script back in 2000. Following the events of 9/11 and the terrorist themes within the movie it was delayed from hitting our screens until now, Zohan has finally been unleashed!

Adam Sandler plays Zohan Dvir, an Israeli Special Forces soldier who is a highly skilled fighter, the Israeli’s secret weapon. Zohan leads a superstar lifestyle, well known across his country as a true warrior, a hero. It appears that this is not what Zohan is happy doing, and in somewhat of a comical twist he announces that becoming a hair stylist is the only career for him. He tries to tell his parents what he wants to do but stuck in their ways they just laugh it off as a joke. So in a battle with an enemy The Phantom, Zohan seizes the opportunity to leave Israel and head for the bright lights of New York leading all to believe he has been defeated.

Sporting a hairstyle that was popular twenty years ago Zohan embarks on his mission to make it in the western world as a hair stylist. Zohan doesn’t exactly fit in and this provides some great comical sketches. Trying to get a job Zohan approaches some of the most famous salons in New York, and is subject to an onslaught of laughter, failing to get into the industry.

Zohan finally gets a break which is somewhat controversial as he gets a job sweeping up hair for a Palestinian owned salon. The salon is struggling financially and needs a massive boost of cash if it’s going to survive. When one of the stylists quits, Zohan gets the break he has been waiting for, finally able to make people’s hair silky smooth. Adapting the normal experience of the hair cut Zohan proves very popular with the middle aged women, offering them a little bonus after the haircut if you get what I mean! The sex takes it’s toll on Zohan and eventually he is unable to provide the extra service as he has fallen for the Palestinian salon owner and announces she is the only one he can do sticky with.

The business begins to pick up for the Salon and Zohan soon becomes a renowned success, with people queuing for an appointment. The Phantom who thought he had defeated Zohan hears of this news and travels to New York to finish the battle for Good. After a few scuffles and an appearance from Mariah Carey a truce between the two nations is made. With The Phantom revealing he too is bored of fighting and has always dreamt of selling shoes. The one woman Zohan always wanted to do ‘sticky’ with is now eventually his.

The movie houses some great comical scenes, providing entertainment throughout. It’s not one of Adam Sandlers best roles to date but it still made me laugh. After you get over the initial annoyance of Zohans accent it proves to be quite a light hearted and enjoyable film to watch. It didn’t drag at any point which allowed for the humour to flow continuously. The references to terrorism are very light hearted and if anything mocks the western worlds views of a stereotypical terrorist.

A Silky Smooth Comedy 8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.