GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Game) Pure (Xbox 360)"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pure'.
Sun 21/09/08 at 20:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
Pure is a new quad bike arcade racing game due out in the shops at the end of this week (26/09).I have been playing a promo version of the game over the past couple of days so have had chance to take it for an early test ride.

The first thing that strikes you when the game starts are its graphics.They are bright and colourful with excellent detail.There is no sign of any of the frame rate issues which have blighted some similar games in the past.Once you hit the ‘boost’ button the scenery starts to move at a serious rate of knots.It all looks pretty impressive to be honest.The music is loud,brash and when mixed with sound of screaming engine notes complements the game very well.

Where the game comes to its own though is in its gameplay.As you are racing there are also tricks you can attempt to pull off.These fill your trick bar to give you a nitro style boost.As you nail harder tricks in succession you unlock higher trick levels.If you crash or fail to use them they expire.The more insane the tricks you perform,the greater the boost.Luckily Pure seems to be set in a world where gravity doesn’t really seem to exist,so getting huge air is not a problem.You can pre-load the ATV’s suspension (simply flick the analogue stick down,then up) for increasing the height of your jumps.There are also some insanely large drops in this game where you are able to pull off a succession of tricks if you’re quick enough.There are also hidden shortcuts to be found in the courses which adds an extra bit of fun to the races.There are 16 ATV’s in the races which means you are rarely left out there on your own.There always seems to be someone to race against regardless of whether your 2nd or 14th.There is also an excellent selection of tracks and good number of ATV’s in this game.

The controls are very easy to pick up and when you unlock the higher trick modes they are lit up very clearly on screen.The handling of the quad bikes is very arcade like and could hardly be described as realistic.To be honest though I don’t think that’s the point of Pure.I think the point of it is simply to have some good old muddy fun.It succeeds in doing this in my opinion.

Pure could hardly be described as original.There is nothing here that you haven’t seen or done before.But that doesn’t stop it in anyway from being a great arcade racing title.If you mixed SSX with elements of Burnout and Sega Rally you would pretty much end up with this.I could not test the game online as it had not been released anywhere at the time I tested it.I have had to give the promo copy back but I do intend to pick a copy of this up.With the big Christmas releases starting to appear very soon I think this great little game might get a bit lost ?.This could mean it may be available to buy quite cheap,pretty soon after its release ?.At around the £20 mark,I would buy it for sure.

Overall : A nice looking,competent and fun arcade racer which may sadly get overlooked against the big Christmas releases.

7.5/10.
Sun 30/11/08 at 08:33
Regular
"xbox 360 rule"
pure is the best racing game ive played in ages. i am online alot playin its such good fun.
if you have the money you shouldnt be standing here looking at this you should be buying it.
there is 1 problam i have got tho its that you cant play 2 player with your m8ts when they come round.

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT
Fri 26/09/08 at 12:55
Regular
"I like turtles"
Cheers pb.It is basically SSX on quad bikes.I gave in and just bought it (even though I couldn't really afford it).The credit crunch sucks !.
Fri 26/09/08 at 12:44
"possibly impossible"
Nice review there Pete.

I'm still not sure. The demo didn't really make me want to go out and get the game, but if it is a lot like SSX then I'd probably like the full game.

However, I have no money. Well, less than no money, I have to find £70 from somewhere and then £40 to get LBP, so this one will wait till Christmas!
Fri 26/09/08 at 08:46
Regular
"I like turtles"
Update : I have now played Pure online and can confirm that all aspects of the game work really well.16 player online races are a real blast.The demo is now up for it on Xbox live (presume PSN as well?) but it only allows you to try one track with limited tricks,no online modes and no freestyle.I didn't think it really gave a full representation of this great little game to be honest.Anyway,the games out today,if you're interested in it I would recommend renting it for the weekend for sure.I might just have to bite the bullet and pick a copy up later today.
Sun 21/09/08 at 20:52
Regular
"I like turtles"
Pure is a new quad bike arcade racing game due out in the shops at the end of this week (26/09).I have been playing a promo version of the game over the past couple of days so have had chance to take it for an early test ride.

The first thing that strikes you when the game starts are its graphics.They are bright and colourful with excellent detail.There is no sign of any of the frame rate issues which have blighted some similar games in the past.Once you hit the ‘boost’ button the scenery starts to move at a serious rate of knots.It all looks pretty impressive to be honest.The music is loud,brash and when mixed with sound of screaming engine notes complements the game very well.

Where the game comes to its own though is in its gameplay.As you are racing there are also tricks you can attempt to pull off.These fill your trick bar to give you a nitro style boost.As you nail harder tricks in succession you unlock higher trick levels.If you crash or fail to use them they expire.The more insane the tricks you perform,the greater the boost.Luckily Pure seems to be set in a world where gravity doesn’t really seem to exist,so getting huge air is not a problem.You can pre-load the ATV’s suspension (simply flick the analogue stick down,then up) for increasing the height of your jumps.There are also some insanely large drops in this game where you are able to pull off a succession of tricks if you’re quick enough.There are also hidden shortcuts to be found in the courses which adds an extra bit of fun to the races.There are 16 ATV’s in the races which means you are rarely left out there on your own.There always seems to be someone to race against regardless of whether your 2nd or 14th.There is also an excellent selection of tracks and good number of ATV’s in this game.

The controls are very easy to pick up and when you unlock the higher trick modes they are lit up very clearly on screen.The handling of the quad bikes is very arcade like and could hardly be described as realistic.To be honest though I don’t think that’s the point of Pure.I think the point of it is simply to have some good old muddy fun.It succeeds in doing this in my opinion.

Pure could hardly be described as original.There is nothing here that you haven’t seen or done before.But that doesn’t stop it in anyway from being a great arcade racing title.If you mixed SSX with elements of Burnout and Sega Rally you would pretty much end up with this.I could not test the game online as it had not been released anywhere at the time I tested it.I have had to give the promo copy back but I do intend to pick a copy of this up.With the big Christmas releases starting to appear very soon I think this great little game might get a bit lost ?.This could mean it may be available to buy quite cheap,pretty soon after its release ?.At around the £20 mark,I would buy it for sure.

Overall : A nice looking,competent and fun arcade racer which may sadly get overlooked against the big Christmas releases.

7.5/10.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.