GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why should you get a Wii?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 23/09/06 at 11:44
Regular
"What's basketball?"
Whether or not your getting an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 (like me) this generation, you cannot not take a look at the Wii and check it out, one of the strangest, but potentially greatest, consoles ever unveiled, Nintendo's next generation console.

Wii Compilation Video

- The Console -

With a small and sexy design, Wii promises to be the funnest video game console in the market, with the size of 3 DVD cases stack together, this console can play Wii discs and Gamecube Minidiscs for full backwards compatiblity.

The Wii also has several channels for multiple purposes, watching photographs in a simple, cool way, the ability to stay conected to the internet and get demos and updates for your games, buy and download cheap classic games like The Legend Of Zelda, Super Mario World or even Sonic The Hedgehog(via the Virtual Console system).

The Wii doesnt offer incredibly graphics like its competitors, the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, but it does offer something that has never been done on a console before, motion sensing with an evolved controller which promises better gameplay, more fun and for less money, the Wii will retail for $250 in the US and a bundled game.

Not only that but it also provides with free WiFi that you will get as you get your Wii, allowing you to play games online with your friends or with people all over the world.

The Wii will come out in stores on november 19th in the US, being followed by a worldwide launch 2 weeks later.

- The Wii Remote -

Whats so special about the Wii? Definitely its controller, full motion sensing, the controller divides itself into 2, the main Wiimote and the nunchuck attachment, both can sense movement, therefor, it provides you with much more posibilities than any regular console, the Wii can act as your sword like in Red Steel, as your tennis racket like in Wii Sports, as your gun like in Metroid Prime 3, or simply it can be an addition the the gameplay mechanics brining much more posibilities like in Super Mario Galaxy or Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

- The Games -

In my opinion, whenever your buying a video game console, one of the most important factors should be the game library, Nintendo consoles perhaps have been known for only having notable first party games, or kiddy games, or not enough games, after you see this list, you will notice how Wii offers oposite.

These are my most awaited Wii games:

Red Steel
Wii Exclusive
Developer: Ubisoft
Release date: Wii launch
Genre: First Person Shooter

Official Trailer 3

Did you think that consoles first person shooters were bad and not worth it(besides Halo I mean)?, with the Wii controller that may change, with the Wii controller acting as your gun, this first person shooter set in Japan deals with the war of the japanese mafias, Red Steel also deals with katanas, as you will have to use yours to fight with the Yakuza leaders. This game tries to separate from generic first person shooter by offering many great features such as a deep katana fighting, honor system, where your fighting to get support from japanese mafias, not just randomly kill everyone. With an awesome AI, great music, great gameplay, this game promises a lot.

Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Genre: Stealth

Teaser

Control agent Sam Fisher as he struggles with the most dificult missions of his career, use the Wiimote to execute diferent actions and help him in this stealth game. SC: Double Agent features a deep storyline where you must choose who to be, as you finish missions, as a double agent.

Sadness
Wii exclusive
Developer: Nibris
Release date: TBA 2007
Genre: Survival horror

Teaser

Probably one of the most innovative upcoming games, or at least one which promises to be, Sadness is a Wii exclusive game which deals with the slavic mythology, use the Wiimote intuitively, this game is set to scare you. According to an interview, the game is meant to scare the player by atmosphere and not by bloodlust or violence. Various methods of playing include slitting the throat of enemies with glass or throwing a rope over a wall using the similar motion with the freehand controller. It was also said by the developer Nibris that the game will have a special way to save your progress. This will happen automatically, at specific moments unknown to the players so it can keep the feeling of reality.Visually the game is to be a black and white stylized gothic horror.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo exclusive
Developer: Nintendo
Genre: Action Adventure

Official Trailer 1

It's The Legend of Zelda, it's meant to be awesome, but this isn't any Zelda, it's the best Zelda game ever created. Ride a dragon, turn into a wolf, use the Wiimote as a sword, or as a rod, use it for aiming your bow or other items, Nintendo promises that this game will even be better than the classic Ocarina of Time, with all the features above plus a game which will take around 100 hours to complete.

It will also be the darkest Zelda ever, Nintendo says it expects a T rating.

Disaster: Day of Crisis
Wii Exclusive
Developer: Monolith Software
Genre: Action survival

Teaser

Think "The day after tomorrow" meets "24", this survival game, with shooting elements, is based on the premise of the world being attacked by devastating natural attacks while a rogue group of agents stoles a nuclear warhead, and its your job to stop it. Use whatever means neccessery to survive. From the creators of the popular PlayStation 2's Xenosaga series.

Resident Evil: Umbrella Corp Chronicles
Wii Exclusive
Developer: Campcom
Genre: Survival Horror/Third Person Shooter

One of my most awaited third party titles is Resident Evil: Umbrella Corp Chronicles. The exclusive Wii title is set to link the stories of the series, with scenarios such as the mansion of Resident Evil 1 or the village of Resident Evil 4, the game will use improved RE4 gameplay enhanced thanks to the controller(B will put the view above your shoulder and A will fire).

Metroid Prime 3
Wii Exclusive
Release date: Q1 2007
Genre: Action Adventure Sci-Fi Shooter

Teaser

The conclusion of the Metroid Prime series is one of my personal favorites in Nintendo's first party line up. With upgraded controllers acording to IGN, this title brings up more action and different missions for a most fast paced game, the origins of phazon and the culmination of an epic story will be one of my 2007's must buy games.

Sonic Wild Fire
Wii Exclusive
Developer: Sega
Genre: Action Platformer

Official Trailer 2

Sonic 3D has disapointed us many times, but this latest Wii exclusive spawn of the series promises us something else, going back to its roots, Sonic Wild Fire is a 2D sonic game in a 3D envoiroment, never has Sonic been so fast. It has gotten positive previews just about everywhere.

Super Paper Mario
Wii Exclusive
Release date: Wii launch window
Genre: Platformer

Official trailer 1

If you played Paper Mario: Thousands Year Door, you probably liked the Bowser platforming, Super Paper Mario focuses on Bowser, Mario and Peach in a weird platformer, but a Mario platformer with alot of features nonetheless, its meant to be great.

Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Exclusive
Genre: Medical Sim

Teaser

Despite its nature, Trauma Center was a total hit on DS, with only a little advertisement, this game became famous due to its innovative genre and its awesome levels of fun, control Derek Styles in diferent operations, using your Wiimote as all kind of tools, this game is fun and addicting, as well as incredibly challenging.

Crossbeam Studios
Series of Wii Exclusives

Crossbeam Studios is an independant game development team which is set to bring us 3 epic games starting in 2007, with a lot of years of experience on their team, I'm hopeful that they will be able to bring us innovative and epic games. Again, I'm just hoping...

Crossbeam Studious' current line-up:

Orb
Genre: Action RPG

Orb is a fantasy RPG, and its suposedly extremly complex, the game has been in development for over 6 years. The game makers wrote nearly 2000 years on the history of Delphire, the land where the game is set, all about religions, realms, culture, everything, one of the most complex RPGs ever. With what promises to be an innovative and fun magic and combat system, Orb is a game which I cant wait to know more about, and hopefully it will turn out good.

Thorn
Genre: Sci-Fi Action Adventure

Thorn is a futuristic action adventure set in a cybernetic punk world. You're a former agent and have been called to an old friend about a mysterious mission.

Darkness
Genre: Action Horror

Think Resident Evil meets The Legend of Zelda, this game is based on a world conquered by vampires, where humans have to struggle for survival.

Call of Duty 3
Developer: Activision
Genre: First Person Shooter

While not a Wii exclusive, I put this game in my most awaited games because of its controls, when I first saw a gameplay video I tought "Wow thats got to be a PC game". Activision just made the controlls work perfectly, you can make 180 degree turns in 5 seconds, the strafing is awesome, the aiming is precise. Now fix the textures and we will have one of the most solid First Person Shooters on Wii.

Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Exclusive
Genre: Platformer

Trailer

Super Mario Galaxy is one of the strongest first party Nintendo titles I've seen, you thought platforming couldnt be done superbly on the Wii? This will prove you wrong, jump around beautiful planets collecting stars, this game will make us forgive Nintendo for Super Mario Sunshine, I cant wait for this game.

Rayman Raving Rabbids
Wii Exclusive
Genre: Minigames

Official Trailer 3

A non plataforming Rayman game made a lot of people disapointed, but as soon as the videos and previews came in, that changed, one of the fun simple games for everyone to enjoy, Rayman Raving Rabbids is crazy! Use the Wiimote in light gun, in weird games, in races, with a weird funny humour, this game has around 70 minigames and its gonna be a blast, wheter your playing it alone, but its best to play it with your friends.

Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Wii Exclusive
Genre: Strategy RPG

Teaser

If you liked Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, you will love its sequel. For those who dont know the series, Fire Emblem is a medieval strategy RPG, which requires a lot of thinking and its overall very fun, similar to Advance Wars- and also by the same team.

Excite Truck
Wii Exclusive
Genre: Racing

Gameplay footage

Best racing game at E3, Excite Truck is the semi-sequel to the legendary Excite Bike for NES, control a huge truck in extremly fast races, with huge jumps, a fun racing game.

Heroes
Wii Exclusive
Developer: Grasshopper Manufacture
Genre: Hybrid

Teaser

Perhaps one of the weirdest, sickest, goriest games last(this) generation was Killer 7, while we still don't know much about Heroes, it's possibly a prequel and promises to be just as good, Killer 7 was loved and hated by many, if you liked it, you cant miss this one out.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl
Wii Exclusive
Release date: Q2 2007
Genre: Fighting

Oficial trailer

Snake, Super Smash Brothers, Pit, a deeper single player experience, online play, orchestrated music. Do I need to say anything else? Melee was the reason I got a 'Cube in the first place, so there is no stopping me from getting Brawl!

So there you have it, I hope you enjoyed reading all that. Until next time.

Marinky_Kongshi
Fri 30/03/07 at 15:59
Regular
"capture on"
Do not get a wii because people have been getting black eyes on the games
Wed 27/09/06 at 23:53
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Actually, those were shots of the Cube Far Cry apparently... I didn;t know they were releasing a Cube version... but found some 'new' Wii version shots, and they do look much worse than the GC versions (although perhaps those 'GC' shots were just the game running on a different machine).

Click Here

Still, I should hope they're looking to improve the graphics significantly, those shots are sub-GameCube quality...
Wed 27/09/06 at 23:37
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Compare shots of farcry on the Wii
> click here
>
> To shots of it on the original Xbox...
> click here

Was just looking on N-Europe and saw these:
Click Here
Those two look substantially better... Certainly better than PS2/GC, maybe a bit better than the Xbox.

[EDIT] - apparently those are GC screens... Although I think they probably look too good for GC, so maybe they're Xbox versions... If they really are GC screens, I'm suprised and it makes the Wii shots look... well... crap.
Wed 27/09/06 at 21:39
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I haven't got NSMB as my housemate got it, and I figured I'll play his version over the next academic year...
Wed 27/09/06 at 18:00
Regular
I'm only on £80 pounds then again I don't even work. I won't have enough for a game lol.
Oh well it would be christmas soon after.
Wed 27/09/06 at 17:08
"possibly impossible"
I thought NSMB was fun, but not outstanding. Traded it in the other week for my Wii fund! £163 so far. £17 to find for the console now, then any extra goes towards Wii Play, Super Monkey Ball, Zelda and a few other launch games...
Wed 27/09/06 at 16:58
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I don't think Mario games have ever had much of a storyline...

"OMGz Peach Kidnapped AGAIN!"
Wed 27/09/06 at 16:49
Regular
Bullett wrote:
> New Super Mario Bros? The DS game? That was exceptional.

Yes, i'm sure. Let us just throw the fact that it had no attempt at a real story line. Any sense of difficulty. The last boss could be defeated with one hit for God's sake.
Wed 27/09/06 at 11:41
"possibly impossible"
Got hold of the PSP SSX again the other day too (unboxed with and unboxed GTA as well) as a gift for giving someone a lift home. It's not as bad as I thought.
Wed 27/09/06 at 10:28
Regular
Saviour of mine too tbh. That and the rediscovery of Lumines and my PSP is back to full use :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.