GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New domain name registration scam..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 17/09/08 at 13:29
"Are you sure?"
I've previously posted about the dodgy dealings of DRoA (Domain Registry of America) and Freeola regularly sends domain owners emails alerting people.
In the last few months I've seen an increase in another variation of Domain Registration scams.

This 'dodgy dealing' works by owners of domains receiving an email from (normally) Asian domain companies trying to worry them that they have received requests from other companies to register lots of similarly named domains and "internet brand keywords". They suggest that if the domain names are important to you you should get in touch with them immediately.

I've advised my clients to ignore these requests and explained it's just someone 'trying it on'. No doubt they will either sting you for the registration of domains you don't need, or just run off with your credit card details!

The majority of domains being 'offered' are based on .cn(TLDs) which wouldn't normally be wanted by a UK company.

After talking with one of my worried clients, I did explain that it wouldn't hurt to register the .com version of their co.uk domain so that they didn't lose control - but obviously we headed over to GetDotted rather than take this unknown company up on their offer!

So if you are a domain owner the bottom line is to ignore these requests but if you haven't already, perhaps look at registering the common versions (co.uk & .com) to save confusion in the future.

I've pasted the contents of a couple of these requests below for reference (the company names have been replaced with 'yourname'):

Example 1: ( "Gets rich" Holdings - Like it! )

Dear CEO,
We are the domain name registration organization in Asia, which mainly deal with international company's in Asia. We have something important need to confirm with your company.
On the September 13, 2008, we received an application formally. One company named "Getsrich International Holdings Ltd" wanted to register following Domain names through our body:

yourname.cn
yourname.com.cn
yourname.net.cn
yourname.org.cn
yourname.com.hk
yourname.com.tw
yourname.hk
yourname.tw
yourname.net
yourname.biz
yourname.info
yourname.asia
Internet brand keyword: yourname

After our initial examination, we found that the internet brand keyword and domain name applied for registration are as same as your company's name and trademark. These days we are dealing with it. If you do not know this company, we doubt that they have other aims to buy these domain names. Now we have not finished the registration of Getsrich company yet, in order to deal with this issue better, Please contact us by telephone or email as soon as possible.

Asia Domain Name Registration Limited

Example 2:

Domain name & Internet keyword
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are Beijing Anwins Network Service Co., Ltd which is the domain name register center in China. We received a formal application from a company who is applying to register “youname” as their domain name and Internet keyword on August 12, 2008. Because this involves your company name or trade mark so we inform you in no time. If you consider these domain names and internet keyword are important to you and it is necessary to protect them by registering them first, contact us soon.

Search Freeola Chat
Fri 19/09/08 at 19:18
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
2002- just a number? wrote:
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Read the site, it's only next door:) Hosted my site now for 8
> years, never any problems - brilliant indeed.
>
> Information for .com/.net/.org/.biz/.info Domain Owners...
> The authorities for these domain types insist that addresses
> must be renewed as part of the transfer process.

Soz 2002 etc? I bought and registered my domain through Getdotted. Didn't realise that you had to re-register. But if yours expires within a year, then you would have to renew anyway.
Thu 18/09/08 at 10:14
"Was the man of marz"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Read the site, it's only next door:) Hosted my site now for 8
> years, never any problems - brilliant indeed.

Information for .com/.net/.org/.biz/.info Domain Owners...
The authorities for these domain types insist that addresses must be renewed as part of the transfer process.
Wed 17/09/08 at 22:16
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
> Dragonlance wrote:
> Always been with GetDotted.
>
> I've actually never tried them. I have a domain that expires at
> the end of this year, which I was looking to transfer somewhere
> for some fun, but all the reputable companies don't really offer
> much compared to the bad ones that promise services (they
> obviously cannot provide).

Read the site, it's only next door:) Hosted my site now for 8 years, never any problems - brilliant indeed.
Wed 17/09/08 at 21:17
"Was the man of marz"
Dragonlance wrote:
> Always been with GetDotted.

I've actually never tried them. I have a domain that expires at the end of this year, which I was looking to transfer somewhere for some fun, but all the reputable companies don't really offer much compared to the bad ones that promise services (they obviously cannot provide).
Wed 17/09/08 at 19:49
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Always been with GetDotted. Have received requests from DRoA in the early years of my domain, but haven't received anything for at least the last three years. Stick with the advice - bin the requests:) Well done Hmmm
Wed 17/09/08 at 19:37
Regular
> McLong wrote:
> What do you mean you cancelled your domain? I'm not sure
> it's possible to. Which leads me to believe that whoever your
> host is just took it away from you and is waiting for it to
> expire... probs why you're getting e-mails from DRoA?
>
> I had to make a declaration and fax my registrar a copy of my
> passport. It took a little while to process (which I was made
> aware of) but it was available for registration before the expiry
> date.

Ah ok.

Maybe DRoA kept the information of the original expiry date, and contacted you in the lead-up to that date requesting you renew through them? Either way they are a bit of a pain.
Wed 17/09/08 at 18:57
"Was the man of marz"
McLong wrote:
> What do you mean you cancelled your domain? I'm not sure
> it's possible to. Which leads me to believe that whoever your
> host is just took it away from you and is waiting for it to
> expire... probs why you're getting e-mails from DRoA?

I had to make a declaration and fax my registrar a copy of my passport. It took a little while to process (which I was made aware of) but it was available for registration before the expiry date.
Wed 17/09/08 at 18:25
Regular
> Hmmm... wrote:
> I've
> previously
> posted
about the dodgy dealings of DRoA (Domain Registry
> of America) and Freeola regularly sends domain owners emails
> alerting people.
>
> I posted about this in another forum last year but no one seemed
> to really care. My domain wasn't with Freeola, but I repeatedly
> received letters from the DRoA, so I cancelled the domain in
> question (as I was mainly finished with that project) but I still
> seem to be on their mailing list as I received yet another one.

What do you mean you cancelled your domain? I'm not sure it's possible to. Which leads me to believe that whoever your host is just took it away from you and is waiting for it to expire... probs why you're getting e-mails from DRoA?
Wed 17/09/08 at 18:05
"Was the man of marz"
Hmmm... wrote:
> I've
> previously
> posted
about the dodgy dealings of DRoA (Domain Registry
> of America) and Freeola regularly sends domain owners emails
> alerting people.

I posted about this in another forum last year but no one seemed to really care. My domain wasn't with Freeola, but I repeatedly received letters from the DRoA, so I cancelled the domain in question (as I was mainly finished with that project) but I still seem to be on their mailing list as I received yet another one.
Wed 17/09/08 at 13:29
"Are you sure?"
I've previously posted about the dodgy dealings of DRoA (Domain Registry of America) and Freeola regularly sends domain owners emails alerting people.
In the last few months I've seen an increase in another variation of Domain Registration scams.

This 'dodgy dealing' works by owners of domains receiving an email from (normally) Asian domain companies trying to worry them that they have received requests from other companies to register lots of similarly named domains and "internet brand keywords". They suggest that if the domain names are important to you you should get in touch with them immediately.

I've advised my clients to ignore these requests and explained it's just someone 'trying it on'. No doubt they will either sting you for the registration of domains you don't need, or just run off with your credit card details!

The majority of domains being 'offered' are based on .cn(TLDs) which wouldn't normally be wanted by a UK company.

After talking with one of my worried clients, I did explain that it wouldn't hurt to register the .com version of their co.uk domain so that they didn't lose control - but obviously we headed over to GetDotted rather than take this unknown company up on their offer!

So if you are a domain owner the bottom line is to ignore these requests but if you haven't already, perhaps look at registering the common versions (co.uk & .com) to save confusion in the future.

I've pasted the contents of a couple of these requests below for reference (the company names have been replaced with 'yourname'):

Example 1: ( "Gets rich" Holdings - Like it! )

Dear CEO,
We are the domain name registration organization in Asia, which mainly deal with international company's in Asia. We have something important need to confirm with your company.
On the September 13, 2008, we received an application formally. One company named "Getsrich International Holdings Ltd" wanted to register following Domain names through our body:

yourname.cn
yourname.com.cn
yourname.net.cn
yourname.org.cn
yourname.com.hk
yourname.com.tw
yourname.hk
yourname.tw
yourname.net
yourname.biz
yourname.info
yourname.asia
Internet brand keyword: yourname

After our initial examination, we found that the internet brand keyword and domain name applied for registration are as same as your company's name and trademark. These days we are dealing with it. If you do not know this company, we doubt that they have other aims to buy these domain names. Now we have not finished the registration of Getsrich company yet, in order to deal with this issue better, Please contact us by telephone or email as soon as possible.

Asia Domain Name Registration Limited

Example 2:

Domain name & Internet keyword
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are Beijing Anwins Network Service Co., Ltd which is the domain name register center in China. We received a formal application from a company who is applying to register “youname” as their domain name and Internet keyword on August 12, 2008. Because this involves your company name or trade mark so we inform you in no time. If you consider these domain names and internet keyword are important to you and it is necessary to protect them by registering them first, contact us soon.

Search Freeola Chat

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.