GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Intermittent and/or absent wi-fi connection"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 16/09/08 at 15:10
"Was the man of marz"
The guys at my usual techie forum have so far let me down, so I thought I’d post my problem here. Basically a family member was given a Toshiba Portégé M300-101 from work and it's a strange one (1.2Ghz, 1.23GB RAM) Anyway I added the notebooks MAC address into my Netgear DG834Gv3 configuration and I'm mainly getting a very weak or absent signal. I've posted this here because I don't think it's a problem with the router, as I have a playstation portable which shows the signal at 100%, yet the laptops internet is still intermittent. Update is that I've been messing around with settings and now have no wireless connection with the laptop, so I'm currently using a patch cable straight to the router (which isn't ideal)
Tue 16/09/08 at 18:52
"Was the man of marz"
Hmmm... wrote:
> If this causes a problem then check the laptops wireless
> settings regarding SSID...

It hasn't, kind of strange (although nothing is really surprising with XP). Thanks for your help Hmmm, now I just need to get a new battery, probably from Toshiba's voluntary replacement scheme and my sis will be well chuffed.
Tue 16/09/08 at 18:46
"Are you sure?"
>>"Should I turn my SSID broadcast off again"

Give a go.

If this causes a problem then check the laptops wireless settings regarding SSID...

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 16/09/08 at 18:39
"Was the man of marz"
Hmmm... wrote:
> While you are troubleshooting I would broadcast the SSID.

I turned it on, the laptop detected my connection, it asked for my network key and now it's working fine.

> Sometimes it's worth turning off all security (including MAC
> addresses) just for a few minutes while you try to see where the
> problem is.

I still don't know what the problem was, as I had entered the network key manually, although the same thing happened with my PSP when I tried to set it up manually and then the automated setup worked.

> Just make sure you turn all your security back on when you have
> finished!

Should I turn my SSID broadcast off again, as I have all the other security precautions WPA-PSK, mac addresses as I considered before if there isn't a network broadcasting then other people may not try and play around with it (or am I being paranoid).
Tue 16/09/08 at 18:20
"Are you sure?"
While you are troubleshooting I would broadcast the SSID.

Sometimes it's worth turning off all security (including MAC addresses) just for a few minutes while you try to see where the problem is.

Just make sure you turn all your security back on when you have finished!

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 16/09/08 at 18:05
"Was the man of marz"
Hmmm... wrote:
> Hi,2002- just a number? nearly as daft as my name!

People insisted on using my nickname in the real world, so I had to become a number.

> Are you able to see your wireless connection(SSID) from the
> laptop?

Well my router isn't configured to broadcast my SSID.

> If you can, what error do you get when you try connecting to
> your wireless router?

Now it won't connect to the wireless network, when before whether the signal was very good (rarely), low or even nil it still worked when it wanted to.
Tue 16/09/08 at 17:12
"Are you sure?"
Hi,2002- just a number? nearly as daft as my name!

Are you able to see your wireless connection(SSID) from the laptop?

If you can, what error do you get when you try connecting to your wireless router?

Search Freeola Chat
Tue 16/09/08 at 15:10
"Was the man of marz"
The guys at my usual techie forum have so far let me down, so I thought I’d post my problem here. Basically a family member was given a Toshiba Portégé M300-101 from work and it's a strange one (1.2Ghz, 1.23GB RAM) Anyway I added the notebooks MAC address into my Netgear DG834Gv3 configuration and I'm mainly getting a very weak or absent signal. I've posted this here because I don't think it's a problem with the router, as I have a playstation portable which shows the signal at 100%, yet the laptops internet is still intermittent. Update is that I've been messing around with settings and now have no wireless connection with the laptop, so I'm currently using a patch cable straight to the router (which isn't ideal)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.