GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Legend of Zelda - Phantom Hourglass"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass'.
Tue 16/09/08 at 11:09
Regular
"THFC"
Unlike most Zelda titles, Link has traded the horse and castle in for a boat and lots of islands! The Nintendo DS’s version of the Wind Waker has been around for a while now and I have only just got to play it. After seeing it come down in price I figured I would give it a try as I enjoy Zelda games and normally get some good amount of game play from them.

My first thoughts after turning the DS on were just how gorgeous the game looked on the handheld screen. I really like Cel-Shaded graphics and think they can work really well and this game is no exception. A lot of people do not like this graphic style but the water, the islands and all the people you meet just look great in Cel-Shaded format. The game is still very detailed, from the waves in the sea, to the birds flying about in the background. I really don’t think this game would have been the same if it was not in this style.

The plot starts off fairly simple, lady friend gets taken by an evil force, so it is up to our elf like friend to dash off to the rescue. In order to rescue Tetra from the Evil Ghost Ship that she is trapped on, you must explore the high seas and venture into uncharted temples to gain the power, and wisdom needed. With the help of your fairy friend Ciela you will be able to get through the various temples, caves and grasslands to get the answers you need to find the Ghost Ship.

Like in most Zelda games, you start off with the basic kit, you find a sword, you buy a wooden shield, and you build up your inventory as you travel around the world until you are the ultimate little warrior. It is the same in The Phantom Hourglass, but the exciting new additions that we have not seen before, is the use of the stylus and the DS touch screen.

This adventure is pretty much played completely on the touch screen, you move Link with the stylus, you attack with it and you throw your boomerang with it. You have to tap on boulders to pick them up, then tap where you want to throw it. Making the whole game come to life and actually making the player work with Link to get through this glorious quest. While some people may think this sounds like a burden and become annoying, it really doesn’t. If anything it keeps the game fresh and means it is always changing. I would have to say that I have enjoyed this Zelda adventure as much as any other I have played, just due to this new way of playing.

So we have a game with great graphics, a simple but effective plot, and controls that are so exciting and easy to use that you would think this is the perfect game. Well it is pretty close and like most Zelda games, there is more to it than just the straight forward quest. There are mini games available to play and the ship you travel around on can be upgraded to fire cannon balls, or you can equip a crane and go hunting for treasure. All these small side quests keep the game alive for much longer than most games.

I would have to say that this is the best game I have played on the DS for utilizing the handheld consoles abilities and uniqueness. But I do not think it is the best game I have played on the DS, it is close but I always find with Zelda games that after the first 3 dungeons the puzzles become stale, and I think it will always be an issue with this style of game. Puzzles are more interactive now and still fun, with new additions like blowing into the mic part of the DS to blow out flames, or calling out to get somebody’s attention. These little points keep the puzzles more varied and less tedious. But in my opinion, it still does become a little bit annoying having to do similar puzzles three times in one dungeon.

If I am being honest with myself, I think I am being a bit harsh above, but then when you see my overall score you will see how good the game is, even with this one flaw, and it is only a flaw in my opinion. I do have a low attention span and this can cause games like this to get left behind. This one didn’t, I played it all the time and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It can be picked up at about £25 now (maybe less) and it is a great price for a great game. Nintendo have really made a special game her and it would be a shame If anyone was to miss out on it.

Overall, a great game that I think adults and kids will enjoy. If you are yet to experience the magic of Zelda and the Phantom Hourglass, pick it up now!

9/10
Wed 05/11/08 at 16:18
Regular
i would like to know how 2 get fire cannonballs. i have got most things in the game but there is some i dont have.i need 2 power and wisdom gems, and 4 courage gems.i also need 3 heart containers(sucks they have only 16 instead of 20 in most zelda games). i also need 2 get whatever is in the shooting game after you get the first quiver.if you can i would like to know soon. thanks
Tue 16/09/08 at 11:09
Regular
"THFC"
Unlike most Zelda titles, Link has traded the horse and castle in for a boat and lots of islands! The Nintendo DS’s version of the Wind Waker has been around for a while now and I have only just got to play it. After seeing it come down in price I figured I would give it a try as I enjoy Zelda games and normally get some good amount of game play from them.

My first thoughts after turning the DS on were just how gorgeous the game looked on the handheld screen. I really like Cel-Shaded graphics and think they can work really well and this game is no exception. A lot of people do not like this graphic style but the water, the islands and all the people you meet just look great in Cel-Shaded format. The game is still very detailed, from the waves in the sea, to the birds flying about in the background. I really don’t think this game would have been the same if it was not in this style.

The plot starts off fairly simple, lady friend gets taken by an evil force, so it is up to our elf like friend to dash off to the rescue. In order to rescue Tetra from the Evil Ghost Ship that she is trapped on, you must explore the high seas and venture into uncharted temples to gain the power, and wisdom needed. With the help of your fairy friend Ciela you will be able to get through the various temples, caves and grasslands to get the answers you need to find the Ghost Ship.

Like in most Zelda games, you start off with the basic kit, you find a sword, you buy a wooden shield, and you build up your inventory as you travel around the world until you are the ultimate little warrior. It is the same in The Phantom Hourglass, but the exciting new additions that we have not seen before, is the use of the stylus and the DS touch screen.

This adventure is pretty much played completely on the touch screen, you move Link with the stylus, you attack with it and you throw your boomerang with it. You have to tap on boulders to pick them up, then tap where you want to throw it. Making the whole game come to life and actually making the player work with Link to get through this glorious quest. While some people may think this sounds like a burden and become annoying, it really doesn’t. If anything it keeps the game fresh and means it is always changing. I would have to say that I have enjoyed this Zelda adventure as much as any other I have played, just due to this new way of playing.

So we have a game with great graphics, a simple but effective plot, and controls that are so exciting and easy to use that you would think this is the perfect game. Well it is pretty close and like most Zelda games, there is more to it than just the straight forward quest. There are mini games available to play and the ship you travel around on can be upgraded to fire cannon balls, or you can equip a crane and go hunting for treasure. All these small side quests keep the game alive for much longer than most games.

I would have to say that this is the best game I have played on the DS for utilizing the handheld consoles abilities and uniqueness. But I do not think it is the best game I have played on the DS, it is close but I always find with Zelda games that after the first 3 dungeons the puzzles become stale, and I think it will always be an issue with this style of game. Puzzles are more interactive now and still fun, with new additions like blowing into the mic part of the DS to blow out flames, or calling out to get somebody’s attention. These little points keep the puzzles more varied and less tedious. But in my opinion, it still does become a little bit annoying having to do similar puzzles three times in one dungeon.

If I am being honest with myself, I think I am being a bit harsh above, but then when you see my overall score you will see how good the game is, even with this one flaw, and it is only a flaw in my opinion. I do have a low attention span and this can cause games like this to get left behind. This one didn’t, I played it all the time and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It can be picked up at about £25 now (maybe less) and it is a great price for a great game. Nintendo have really made a special game her and it would be a shame If anyone was to miss out on it.

Overall, a great game that I think adults and kids will enjoy. If you are yet to experience the magic of Zelda and the Phantom Hourglass, pick it up now!

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.