GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"XSL/XML/PHP"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 14/11/02 at 15:08
Regular
I was just thinking about recoding my personal website (currently a mix of W3 validated XHTML and PHP) so that it uses XML and XSL templates. (i know, i have too much time on my hands, but i kind of like the idea of keeping stylesheets and data seperate)

I'm just wondering what the XSL equivelant of a tag is?

To use PHP tags the file needs to have a PHP extension doesnt it? Whereas XSLT uses files with XML and XSL entensions?

Is it possible to combine the two? Or will i need to use IFRAMES and called them shtml or something perhaps?

Basically my pages are made up of smaller files so that I can keep common headers, menus and footers etc external to the page-specific data, and I currently just use PHP to 'INCLUDE' them to make one page.

Tyla, I know you were working with XML - any ideas?

clear as mud?
Tue 19/11/02 at 18:40
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Ah! AJG... if you email me tomorrow, I'll send you a list of titles. Makes more sense as a)I'll remember (have the memory of a fish come wednesday) and b)As they're in the office, I can send you the list of titles.

email: alan[.]tyla@oxon[.]blackwellpublishing[.]com

Obviously remove the []'s
Tue 19/11/02 at 18:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ajg wrote:
> Tyla on the other hand...
> This course youre doing; does it recommend a decent teach-yourself
> XML/XSL book? One with lots of examples and nice pictures would be
> good. :) Ive coded XML before but only in the very basic form. Im sure
> its capable of more.
>
> cheers mate

XML is pretty basic, it's just structured data. There isn't much else it does**. The real fun is in XSLT/XSL/X-FO. These are the "power" tools of XML and the ones you should really be looking into. Creating a data structure in XML is the easy bit, it's transforming it into different things "on the fly" that's the real fun!

**If you want to go total hardcore, start looking in to XML DTD's too!

As for books... I will let you know, I have some really good ones at the office, but cant, for the life of me, remember what the titles are!
Mon 18/11/02 at 11:44
Regular
""
akxil wrote:
> You should just keep using PHP...
> It basically does everything you really need to do anyway.

Akxil, thanks for your post but it was neither what i asked or constructive. If I wanted to keep using PHP i wouldnt have asked the question. It doesnt do everything I need.

Its a good job everyone didnt reply to tell me they dont know or we'd be here all day.

Tyla on the other hand...
This course youre doing; does it recommend a decent teach-yourself XML/XSL book? One with lots of examples and nice pictures would be good. :) Ive coded XML before but only in the very basic form. Im sure its capable of more.

cheers mate
Sat 16/11/02 at 21:47
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ajg wrote:
> Tyla, I know you were working with XML - any ideas?
>
> clear as mud?

OK... here's my understanding, though this should be corrected at he end of the week after I have completed my extensive XML/XSLT training....

XML - Structured Data - Text only
XSL - consists of XSLT(transformation language),
XPath(Expression Language) and XSL-FO(Formatting)

These combined with XML give you your final out put of whatever (PDF, DOC, xHTML etc)

Now all I could remeber was this :

Element:
attributes: href
Standard excerpt:
The xsl:include element is only allowed as a top-level element. The inclusion works at the XML tree level. The resource located by the href attribute value is parsed as an XML document, and the children of the xsl:stylesheet element in this document replace the xsl:include element in the including document. The fact that template rules or definitions are included does not affect the way they are processed. It is an error if a stylesheet directly or indirectly includes itself.

Though I have a suspicion that it doesn't do the same thing.
Sat 16/11/02 at 21:23
You should just keep using PHP...

It basically does everything you really need to do anyway. Of course, it doesn't hurt to learn other languages while you're at it. Unfortunately, me can't help you with the others ones...

Soz.
Thu 14/11/02 at 15:08
Regular
""
I was just thinking about recoding my personal website (currently a mix of W3 validated XHTML and PHP) so that it uses XML and XSL templates. (i know, i have too much time on my hands, but i kind of like the idea of keeping stylesheets and data seperate)

I'm just wondering what the XSL equivelant of a tag is?

To use PHP tags the file needs to have a PHP extension doesnt it? Whereas XSLT uses files with XML and XSL entensions?

Is it possible to combine the two? Or will i need to use IFRAMES and called them shtml or something perhaps?

Basically my pages are made up of smaller files so that I can keep common headers, menus and footers etc external to the page-specific data, and I currently just use PHP to 'INCLUDE' them to make one page.

Tyla, I know you were working with XML - any ideas?

clear as mud?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.