GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Let pupuls abanden spelling rules, says akademic"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 09/09/08 at 13:38
Regular
Times Online

River becomes rivver, model becomes moddel and give becomes giv.
Thu 11/09/08 at 23:04
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
having just had my first spelling test in about 12 years on day one of the BVC, im thinkin thats not the best idea. far too reliant on Mr Spellcheck we is.
Tue 09/09/08 at 23:58
Regular
Lauerd, noght chaunge to Engles, heretik!

Ahha that's a shame, no letters for me, I can't display some characters

That was my attempt to write in Middle English
Tue 09/09/08 at 22:22
Regular
"eat toast!"
Thats just crap. If they intend to dumb down english, the nation will look like chavs and we become the monsters that we dispise being.

I blame hip hop and stupid parents!
Tue 09/09/08 at 16:18
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Pfft, ridiculous. You cant give concessions on the basics of the language because some are finding it hard. If we could learn it then so can they.
Tue 09/09/08 at 15:40
"Was the man of marz"
tnc wrote:
> Especially when what's being proposed deteriorates from saying
> spelling and grammar hold children back to why do we need an
> apostrophe? Because it makes language easier to understand?!
> Surely with the "we ll" proposed things become twice as
> difficult as working out the difference between its, it's and
> belonging to?

I am with you on this. Proposing something should be removed because people don't understand it is an absurd concept. What's next, trigonometry, medicine or life itself! Back to reality now, spelling tests where an ordeal at school, because when you know you're shiny and bright at something it's really hard to generate enthusiasm for it. It wasn't until secondary education that a problem was highlighted, yet even then it took until GCSE stage for something to be done about it, in the form of help from a busty teacher (happy days).
Tue 09/09/08 at 15:12
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
El Viking wrote:
> I don't think this is such a good idea. Standardised spelling
> makes things so much easier to understand, as everyone spells
> things in the same way; otherwise it takes a lot of deciphering
> to read things at times. Like anything from, say, the seventeenth
> century. And I think I once read that by the 1660s, attempts to
> standardise spelling hadn't caught up with language evolving, or
> vice versa. Phonetics are one thing, but words largely look at
> least similar to their pronounciation.
>
> And people who can't spell, no matter how intelligent they are,
> will never fail to make themselves look utterly idiotic. Same
> goes for people with sod all understanding of grammar.
>
> -Stops before this becomes some rant about the terminally thick-
> :^)

Indeed people who make spelling and grammatical mistakes really do look utterly idiotic. ;)
Tue 09/09/08 at 15:01
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
Dyselxia... good point. Whoops.

I just don't personally see the problem though as it can take time to decipher things, and it's handy if everything's standardised. I've no problem with things being changed (Hell, the Germans had a swing at it), I personally don't see the problem with the current order of things. Hell, French is confusing enough, but that's probably because I barely use it and can't pronounce it too well.
Tue 09/09/08 at 14:33
Regular
I love this. Pupils in England are held back because they spend time learning to spell, so we should just make everything phonetic. Genius

Except for the fact that this "pressure" of spelling with spelling tests happened about once a week for an hour. Hardly a huge difference. I'm sure the suggestion would be to fill the time learning a foreign language etc but without learning English constructions that sounds fairly difficult.

Especially when what's being proposed deteriorates from saying spelling and grammar hold children back to why do we need an apostrophe? Because it makes language easier to understand?! Surely with the "we ll" proposed things become twice as difficult as working out the difference between its, it's and belonging to?
Tue 09/09/08 at 14:17
"Was the man of marz"
El Viking wrote:
> And people who can't spell, no matter how intelligent they are,
> will never fail to make themselves look utterly idiotic. Same
> goes for people with sod all understanding of grammar.

What about those of us who are dyslexic? There was something (or fing as that article rather patronisingly pointed out) a while back about how employers couldn’t believe the amount of young people that couldn’t use grammar properly. Phonetic spelling would make more sense though, as Brainiac; science abuse pointed out, why isn’t phonetic spelled the way it sounds?
Tue 09/09/08 at 13:45
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
I don't think this is such a good idea. Standardised spelling makes things so much easier to understand, as everyone spells things in the same way; otherwise it takes a lot of deciphering to read things at times. Like anything from, say, the seventeenth century. And I think I once read that by the 1660s, attempts to standardise spelling hadn't caught up with language evolving, or vice versa. Phonetics are one thing, but words largely look at least similar to their pronounciation.

And people who can't spell, no matter how intelligent they are, will never fail to make themselves look utterly idiotic. Same goes for people with sod all understanding of grammar.

-Stops before this becomes some rant about the terminally thick- :^)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.