GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Dreamcast is your favourite console because.."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/11/02 at 10:15
Regular
My Dreamcast has given me a taste of the way the videogame market was meant to be. Gaming that's cheap, gaming that looks fantastic, gaming that's new, that's fresh, that's easy. The other day on "He's got to have it" (have you seen it? It's trash - Mike Brewer, what are you doing?!?), they reviewed a PS2 by playing some tennis game on it. The graphics wouldn't have looked out of place on a Jaguar game - what's the point of continually ramping up performance, making consumers pay through the nose for the console and games, and releasing tat like that for it? This is a vicious cycle the industry is caught in, and only in a consoles death throes does it seem able to break free. The Dreamcast is at the moment the perfect console for me - it's a crying shame for the industry as a whole that it's only the way it is because it's dead. I am a Nintendo fanboy by tradition, but even I have to accept they rip off their fans to the point where one has to ask whether they take some kind of perverse pleasure from it. The Xbox is nice, but will die the same death as the Dreamcast (see the next Edge issue etc.), and I'll wait until the price of the games plummet.

It's getting difficult to find DC games these days, which is a pity as there's still more Dreamcast games I'd like to buy than say, PS2 games, even though I own most of the good ones :O) Nevermind, there's always ebay, but it seems everyone else wants Skies of Arcadia as well..
Tue 03/12/02 at 15:52
Regular
"we escape....."
it's not
Fri 29/11/02 at 15:33
Regular
"Don't hate me for i"
PSO
Sonic Adventure
Skies of Arcadia
Crazy Taxi
+internet
and those are just the super great games!
Tue 19/11/02 at 17:49
Dreamcast is by far the best console ever. For a start, it has internet capabilities out of the box. It is the first 128-bit console.

The Dreamcast was brought out one and a half years before PS2, and in some ways is more powerful (8MB graphical RAM, compared to 4MB). It had quality games from the start, which just got better.

The Dreamcast's best game for me is Shenmue 2. When I first bought Shenmue (the original), it totally blew me away. I couldn't believe the total immersion the player got in the game. When Shenmue 2 came along, I just couldn't believe that such a good game could possibly be created! The game really gives you a good taste of Japanese and Hong Kong life. The level of interaction is ground-breaking. Throughout the whole game, I just wished I could be where Ryo was (apart from the wrestling competitions). No game has ever done this for me before. I think even those who doubt Shenmue and hate the Dreamcast should play Shenmue 2 from start to finish (both Shenmues are boring at the beginning). The Shenmue series truly is as a video game series comparable to the Northern Lights series of books. Both are difficult to get into, and are under-appreciated, but both (I think) are the forerunners of their media.

Here's to a great console (and game).
Sun 17/11/02 at 18:33
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Dreamcast is my favourite console, because it the first true next-gen console, and its Segas best machine so far!

Its also my favourite console, because it is the only console where I get a magical feel playing it! Also....... because its made by Sega!!!!

Dreamcast was groundbreaking when it was first released: Online Play, Amazing Graphics, a VMU.

ahhhhhhh, Sega!

*starts reminising!*
Wed 13/11/02 at 15:04
Regular
"Remember me?"
Miserableman wrote:
> You're only a fanboy if you act like one :O)

Oi! You've got Marvel vs Capcom 2! I demand that you sell it to me!
Wed 13/11/02 at 15:02
Regular
"bing bang bong"
You're only a fanboy if you act like one :O)
Wed 13/11/02 at 12:53
Regular
"Frag 1st, Think 2nd"
Well, the DC is dead but has a thriving 2nd hand market and is in my opinion the best console currently still availble. Although no new games are being developed if you can get your hands on the classic DC games then your onto a winner. The reproductions that are now on other consoles for example the Crazy Taxi serious still play and look better on the DC. The DC does have its fair share of tat but less in proportion to the PS2.

I have a PS2 that I got for X-Mass 2001 and have 3 games of any note Pro Evo2, Devil May Cry, GTAIII)I gave up after this.

I will be buying an X-box in the hope that it doesn't go the way of the DC as it has more potential than the GC and currently has a base of games that I would enjoy more than the current GC games list.

BB.
Tue 12/11/02 at 10:53
Regular
"Remember me?"
I agree with you totally. I've enjoyed playing my 20-odd Dreamcast games far more than the few games I've played on the PS2. The fact that SEGA came up with some of the best games EVER - like Jet Set Radio and Shenmue II - and put them on that sexy white machine makes it one of my favourite consoles... just below the Gamecube, I'd have to say.

Oh, and if you're a Nintendo fanboy:

a) never admit to being a fanboy, as it'll bring you nothing but grief.
b) Skies of Arcadia will be out on Gamecube eventually, and I hear that it's got lots of lovely extra bits too.
Tue 12/11/02 at 10:15
Regular
"bing bang bong"
My Dreamcast has given me a taste of the way the videogame market was meant to be. Gaming that's cheap, gaming that looks fantastic, gaming that's new, that's fresh, that's easy. The other day on "He's got to have it" (have you seen it? It's trash - Mike Brewer, what are you doing?!?), they reviewed a PS2 by playing some tennis game on it. The graphics wouldn't have looked out of place on a Jaguar game - what's the point of continually ramping up performance, making consumers pay through the nose for the console and games, and releasing tat like that for it? This is a vicious cycle the industry is caught in, and only in a consoles death throes does it seem able to break free. The Dreamcast is at the moment the perfect console for me - it's a crying shame for the industry as a whole that it's only the way it is because it's dead. I am a Nintendo fanboy by tradition, but even I have to accept they rip off their fans to the point where one has to ask whether they take some kind of perverse pleasure from it. The Xbox is nice, but will die the same death as the Dreamcast (see the next Edge issue etc.), and I'll wait until the price of the games plummet.

It's getting difficult to find DC games these days, which is a pity as there's still more Dreamcast games I'd like to buy than say, PS2 games, even though I own most of the good ones :O) Nevermind, there's always ebay, but it seems everyone else wants Skies of Arcadia as well..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.