GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"[Film] In Bruges"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 04/09/08 at 11:09
Regular
"Bruges is the most well-preserved medieval city in the whole of Belgium" and the location is the setting for my third film review.

When a job in london goes horribly wrong, hitmen Ray (badboy Colin Farrell)and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) find themselves in hiding in what may be their last destination, in Bruge.

Very much out of place amidst the gothic architecture, canals, the swans and cobbled streets in this "fairy tale" place. They need to blend in and wait for a call from their profanity spewing boss Harry (played by the brilliant and in this role helarious Ralph Riennes. They spend their days to the disappointment of Ray living the lives of tourists, Ray hates Bruges "I grew up in Dublin, I love Dublin! Maybe if i was born on a farm, an was retarded Bruges might impress me, but i did't so it doesn't!"

Ken on the otherhand embraces the the beauty and historic value of the city and you can see the effect it has on him as the film continues. Ray however is dealing with the emotional turmoil after botching his first assignment in London and ending a childs life by accident.

The longer they have to wait for Harry's call the more the tension builds and the funnier and weirder the situations they both find themselves in. Everybody gets involved from tourists, love interests, prostitutes and even a racist dwarf....yes a racist dwarf!

While Ken takes in the fairytale like beauty of the city, Ray finds himself with a potential romance in the form of Chloe (Clémence Poésy who is not as innocent as she first appears. All the encounters and banter comes to head when the call from Harry comes and Ralph Fiennes enters the frey to add a different ingredient to an already fine recipe!

Harry comes to Bruges with a filthy mouth and some of the films funniest lines (i.e. calling his wife and INANIMATE F**KING OBJECT!) I would love to go into more detail about where the film then goes, however it would spoil it, let me just say WATCH THIS FILM!

I enjoyed this film, the plot is good, the script is well written and excellently delivered by a fine cast. It has a sensitive issue at heart and it is never forgotten, but it is the cleverness of the writing that can get you to think about death, even while comparing purgatory to Tottenham.

In Bruges is a story about love, redemption, friendship and principles! It is a must watch for anyone. and if you are still not convinced watch it for one scene where i skid you not, Collin Farrell Karate Chops a "Midget".... nuff said!

9/10
Sat 06/09/08 at 21:01
Regular
cheers bruv

seriously loved this film!
Thu 04/09/08 at 13:17
Regular
"THFC"
Good review!
Looks like a good film i think i will have to watch it
Thu 04/09/08 at 11:09
Regular
"Bruges is the most well-preserved medieval city in the whole of Belgium" and the location is the setting for my third film review.

When a job in london goes horribly wrong, hitmen Ray (badboy Colin Farrell)and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) find themselves in hiding in what may be their last destination, in Bruge.

Very much out of place amidst the gothic architecture, canals, the swans and cobbled streets in this "fairy tale" place. They need to blend in and wait for a call from their profanity spewing boss Harry (played by the brilliant and in this role helarious Ralph Riennes. They spend their days to the disappointment of Ray living the lives of tourists, Ray hates Bruges "I grew up in Dublin, I love Dublin! Maybe if i was born on a farm, an was retarded Bruges might impress me, but i did't so it doesn't!"

Ken on the otherhand embraces the the beauty and historic value of the city and you can see the effect it has on him as the film continues. Ray however is dealing with the emotional turmoil after botching his first assignment in London and ending a childs life by accident.

The longer they have to wait for Harry's call the more the tension builds and the funnier and weirder the situations they both find themselves in. Everybody gets involved from tourists, love interests, prostitutes and even a racist dwarf....yes a racist dwarf!

While Ken takes in the fairytale like beauty of the city, Ray finds himself with a potential romance in the form of Chloe (Clémence Poésy who is not as innocent as she first appears. All the encounters and banter comes to head when the call from Harry comes and Ralph Fiennes enters the frey to add a different ingredient to an already fine recipe!

Harry comes to Bruges with a filthy mouth and some of the films funniest lines (i.e. calling his wife and INANIMATE F**KING OBJECT!) I would love to go into more detail about where the film then goes, however it would spoil it, let me just say WATCH THIS FILM!

I enjoyed this film, the plot is good, the script is well written and excellently delivered by a fine cast. It has a sensitive issue at heart and it is never forgotten, but it is the cleverness of the writing that can get you to think about death, even while comparing purgatory to Tottenham.

In Bruges is a story about love, redemption, friendship and principles! It is a must watch for anyone. and if you are still not convinced watch it for one scene where i skid you not, Collin Farrell Karate Chops a "Midget".... nuff said!

9/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.