GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is science a religion?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 03/09/08 at 13:29
Regular
According to Adam Savage of Mythbusters the answer is no.

So here are Steve Colbert's 8 best Atheist Moments (which I found amusing and thought I'd share)

I would turn this into a discussion about religion but I know some of you are quite religious and I dont want to rock the boat. :)
Sun 07/09/08 at 14:49
Regular
Machie wrote:
> According to Adam Savage of Mythbusters the answer is no.
>
> So
> here are Steve Colbert's 8 best Atheist Moments
(which
> I found amusing and thought I'd share)

>
> I would turn this into a discussion about religion but I know
> some of you are quite religious and I dont want to rock the boat.
> :)i think if science was a religion then i suppose we wouldnt stop trying to learn about it so easy we give up on religion because there is not enough scientific evedance to support it
Wed 03/09/08 at 16:11
Regular
"eat toast!"
i would assume religon would involve some sort of deity or something. Unless they created some fictional deity like the machine god, the builder, scientist and had its own half baked hierarchy, relgious activities of blessing every machine or experiment then maybe. Otherwise, no.

Science is not a religion, rather a big investigative, exploration process to answer questions or find solutions where reglion merely covers over with faith and not concrete answers.
Wed 03/09/08 at 15:58
Regular
"Is science a religion?"

I guess it depends on how you view religion itself. Is one persons own faith a religion, or does it only become a religion when many people get together to worship?
Wed 03/09/08 at 15:41
"possibly impossible"
Marzman wrote:
>You can't say the same about mathematics. Either something is
> provable or it isn’t (generally at least)

Very true.
Wed 03/09/08 at 15:10
"Was the man of marz"
pb wrote:
> Science is, in essence, what we currently believe to be true.

If you have to believe in it then it's indeed a...

You can't say the same about mathematics. Either something is provable or it isn’t (generally at least)
Wed 03/09/08 at 14:09
"possibly impossible"
Oh, and Luetchyboy, you are mixing up Religion with Organised Religion, which is the group built up around a religion rather than the ideas/ideals of the religion itself.
Wed 03/09/08 at 14:07
"possibly impossible"
Luetchyboy wrote:
> Hell no, religion is the folly of man it is a rigid and
> narcissistic cult essentially. Science should in princicple only
> be concerned with the truth of things. Whereas religion bends and
> changes things as it sees fit.

I think the word that should be highlighted is 'should'.

Science is, in essence, what we currently believe to be true. This can and will change over time, from a minute to a year. An experiment is not 100% fact, it is a method of finding out something based in part on knowledge and on assumption. Even the greatest scientific minds are proved wrong at times after presenting what seemed to be irrefutable proof at the time.

I don't think science can be called a religion, but I see the point of the arguement.
Wed 03/09/08 at 14:01
Regular
Hell no, religion is the folly of man it is a rigid and narcissistic cult essentially. Science should in princicple only be concerned with the truth of things. Whereas religion bends and changes things as it sees fit.
Wed 03/09/08 at 13:29
Regular
According to Adam Savage of Mythbusters the answer is no.

So here are Steve Colbert's 8 best Atheist Moments (which I found amusing and thought I'd share)

I would turn this into a discussion about religion but I know some of you are quite religious and I dont want to rock the boat. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.