GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"{Game} Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09'.
Wed 03/09/08 at 08:11
Regular
"Hello?"
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 PS3

With the great British summer coming to a close, opportunities to fulfil you golfing needs start to become few and far between unless you’re an all weather kind of golfer. So taking the game inside, onto your next gen console is somewhat of a compromise and a very favourable one at that. Not a golfer? Well I can only speak of people I played this game with who have never set foot on a fairway and they thoroughly enjoyed this game, proving that it’s open to all.

So it’s Tiger’s third instalment on the next gen consoles, how many more can we possibly squeeze out of this golfer? After feeling like I just threw £40 down the drain when I bought the 2008 edition I was slightly pessimistic on this years release. Avoiding a repeat of this, I decided to play the demo, to get a taste of what I could expect. One hour later of playing the same three holes on the same course, you could say I was pretty much sold. A great idea to always try before you buy if at all possible, nowadays games loose money as quick as cars!

So what’s new in this year’s edition? Well for starters, EA have decided to introduce a feature called ‘club tuner’, a nifty little feature that allows you to personalise you type of playing style. You can alter various aspects like improving the power but in doing so this will reduce the sweet spot, not a great idea if you’re not 100% accurate with you swings. There’s a vast improvement on graphics and various Tiger challenges to complete. You have four attribute sections, power, accuracy, short game and putting to build up to the maximum level of 12. You add to this through improving on your game and getting better equipment. I like the way they’ve done this as you have to be consistent in your game to keep your current level, one poor round and you’ll drop some attribute points.

The courses really do look stunning especially with the use of a high definition television. Every time you step up to the teeing off area the hole is presented to you in a bird’s eye run through giving you an idea of the line that your ball needs to follow. Not much to complain about on the graphics side of things it does the courses due justice.

So how does this sit up there as a multiplayer masterpiece? For my personal criteria of multiplayer gaming it is pretty much bang on, slightly fuelled with a lot of passion already formed for the game. The online side of the game has been tweaked and from the games I have experienced online so far it’s all been pretty smooth. A nice feature they have added to the online mode of ‘09 is the ability to play simultaneously against other players. This is great you can focus on your game without having to wait, a nice introduction to minimize waiting time. You have the option of joining someone else’s created game or setting up a game of your choice allowing you to choose the course, the length and type of play, also you can add in a wager, if you’re feeling confident. Not got online? No panic it’s got everything you need to play against friends and family without heading onto the internet highway.

Quite possibly my favourite Tiger Woods game to date, there’s nothing that annoyed me with the game only myself when I’ve hit some well... useless shots. I couldn’t really ask for a better golfing game and I would highly recommend it, if you’re not a great fan of golf give the demo a go it might just change your opinion.

Nothing’s perfect but this is pretty close! 9.5/10
Thu 04/09/08 at 08:35
Regular
"Hello?"
Thanks, yea it'll probably drop in price soon, or wait for pete to find it at a bargain price! Me you and Emmie can have a a few rounds of golf!
Thu 04/09/08 at 08:35
Regular
"THFC"
I think it will become cheaper in price soon (sports games tend to) well it is a great game and i have enjoyed playing it.

Good review Black
Thu 04/09/08 at 08:25
"possibly impossible"
Good review. I will get this game at some point, especially after reading that, but I think I can wait to see if it gets a bit cheaper or comes in second hand first.
Wed 03/09/08 at 08:11
Regular
"Hello?"
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 09 PS3

With the great British summer coming to a close, opportunities to fulfil you golfing needs start to become few and far between unless you’re an all weather kind of golfer. So taking the game inside, onto your next gen console is somewhat of a compromise and a very favourable one at that. Not a golfer? Well I can only speak of people I played this game with who have never set foot on a fairway and they thoroughly enjoyed this game, proving that it’s open to all.

So it’s Tiger’s third instalment on the next gen consoles, how many more can we possibly squeeze out of this golfer? After feeling like I just threw £40 down the drain when I bought the 2008 edition I was slightly pessimistic on this years release. Avoiding a repeat of this, I decided to play the demo, to get a taste of what I could expect. One hour later of playing the same three holes on the same course, you could say I was pretty much sold. A great idea to always try before you buy if at all possible, nowadays games loose money as quick as cars!

So what’s new in this year’s edition? Well for starters, EA have decided to introduce a feature called ‘club tuner’, a nifty little feature that allows you to personalise you type of playing style. You can alter various aspects like improving the power but in doing so this will reduce the sweet spot, not a great idea if you’re not 100% accurate with you swings. There’s a vast improvement on graphics and various Tiger challenges to complete. You have four attribute sections, power, accuracy, short game and putting to build up to the maximum level of 12. You add to this through improving on your game and getting better equipment. I like the way they’ve done this as you have to be consistent in your game to keep your current level, one poor round and you’ll drop some attribute points.

The courses really do look stunning especially with the use of a high definition television. Every time you step up to the teeing off area the hole is presented to you in a bird’s eye run through giving you an idea of the line that your ball needs to follow. Not much to complain about on the graphics side of things it does the courses due justice.

So how does this sit up there as a multiplayer masterpiece? For my personal criteria of multiplayer gaming it is pretty much bang on, slightly fuelled with a lot of passion already formed for the game. The online side of the game has been tweaked and from the games I have experienced online so far it’s all been pretty smooth. A nice feature they have added to the online mode of ‘09 is the ability to play simultaneously against other players. This is great you can focus on your game without having to wait, a nice introduction to minimize waiting time. You have the option of joining someone else’s created game or setting up a game of your choice allowing you to choose the course, the length and type of play, also you can add in a wager, if you’re feeling confident. Not got online? No panic it’s got everything you need to play against friends and family without heading onto the internet highway.

Quite possibly my favourite Tiger Woods game to date, there’s nothing that annoyed me with the game only myself when I’ve hit some well... useless shots. I couldn’t really ask for a better golfing game and I would highly recommend it, if you’re not a great fan of golf give the demo a go it might just change your opinion.

Nothing’s perfect but this is pretty close! 9.5/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.