GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"windows installation query"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/11/02 at 20:39
Regular
i have a 60GB secondary haed drive and have used about 25GB of it, I want to install windows on this hard drive to use the other one in another computer

can i install windows and leave those files on the hard drive because otherwise i have a lot of backing up to do!!!!!!
Sun 10/11/02 at 21:12
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Thanks AMD_MAN I got partition magic and did what you said and it worked like a dream now running WinXP on the 60GB and the other hard drive is in an old system, and i lost no files at all

the files were mostly downloaded *programs* installation files, and the rest i don't mind installing again
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:07
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
i'm getting partition magic now

thanx very much
Sat 09/11/02 at 22:23
Regular
Get a software called partition magic and create 2 patritions then copy all the files you want to back up onto the second partition and format first partition then install windows on first partition now you will have in essence 2 hard drive (this is how windows will see it), one with your backed up stuff and the other with windows, now if you wanted to you can merge the partitions to make one partition again without losing any software, worth while getting partition magic (made be Powerquest) as you will use again.

c.b.
Sat 09/11/02 at 21:03
No - once you've installed Windows on a partition or HD, the stuff previously on it gets deleted.

If you have enough space on your primary to store 25GB, then do so before installing Windows on the secondary drive, finally copying the files over.

Most probably though, you won't have enough space to do this, and need a temporary backup solution - so follow mine and you won't go wrong.

Buy a new hard drive from a local retailer. Then, store the data on it and install Windows on your secondary drive. After copying everything back to the 60GB drive, wipe off everything on the new drive and take it back. Cheeky, eh? Note that if the retailer has a policy on opened products, then it obviusly won't work. Aditionally, if your files are top secret, then you'd better get a proper disk wiper to clean the content.

Finally, if the files on you intend to copy are programs, then it simply wouldnt work and would have to be reinstalled.
Sat 09/11/02 at 20:39
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
i have a 60GB secondary haed drive and have used about 25GB of it, I want to install windows on this hard drive to use the other one in another computer

can i install windows and leave those files on the hard drive because otherwise i have a lot of backing up to do!!!!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.