GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm thinking of getting an Xbox but..."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/11/02 at 08:38
Regular
After a somewhat unexpected windfall, I'm sitting on a tidy sum of money, with the option of splashing out on expensive Christmas presents for the family or something else...........

Something else it is then. Anyway, my interest in Xbox, despite owning one for a very short time after it was released, was limited. Basically, I am a Ninty at heart, but I don't have blind faith - I go to where the best games are, and it seems the only way to do that is just own all the consoles. :D

I was put off by the price though, until I saw 2 games free and a Xbos for £155!!! Bloomin' hell! They really are making it an offer you can't refuse. Anyway, as a huuuge fan of Shenmue, I have some questions...

1) Will future Shenmue games be released after 2? (I have already got it on DC)
2) What two games are the best to get?
3) What are the chances of a future price drop? (With the way Microsoft are going, you never know)

Answers on a postcard - or failing that, just reply. Danke.
Sat 09/11/02 at 08:38
Regular
After a somewhat unexpected windfall, I'm sitting on a tidy sum of money, with the option of splashing out on expensive Christmas presents for the family or something else...........

Something else it is then. Anyway, my interest in Xbox, despite owning one for a very short time after it was released, was limited. Basically, I am a Ninty at heart, but I don't have blind faith - I go to where the best games are, and it seems the only way to do that is just own all the consoles. :D

I was put off by the price though, until I saw 2 games free and a Xbos for £155!!! Bloomin' hell! They really are making it an offer you can't refuse. Anyway, as a huuuge fan of Shenmue, I have some questions...

1) Will future Shenmue games be released after 2? (I have already got it on DC)
2) What two games are the best to get?
3) What are the chances of a future price drop? (With the way Microsoft are going, you never know)

Answers on a postcard - or failing that, just reply. Danke.
Sat 09/11/02 at 08:46
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> 1) Will future Shenmue games be released after 2? (I have already got
> it on DC)

Well, Sega/Yu Suzuki chose the Xbox to release Shenmue IIx on, so if it sells reasonably well, it seems logical that Shenmue III will follow on Xbox.

> 2) What two games are the best to get?

Right now, I'd say Halo and JSRF.
Splinter Cell is out in a couple of weeks though.

> 3) What are the chances of a future price drop? (With the way
> Microsoft are going, you never know)

I don't think they'll go any lower.
Sat 09/11/02 at 10:56
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Well the questions have been pretty much answered so I'll just put my view accross on the games.
On guessing that you'll get the Sega pack, one game you should pick up is of course Halo - no X-Box owner should be without it. ;-)
As for the second game, it really comes down to if you prefer a particular genre.

Some top games to choose from would be...

Platform - Blinx
Driving/Racing - Project Gothem Racing
Fighting - Dead Or Alive 3
Stealth - Splinter Cell
FPS - Unreal Championship
Shoot em up - Mech Assault or Phantom Crash
Sport - Fifa 2003 or Madden 2003
Squad based - Ghost Recon
Party - Whacked!
RPG - Morrowind (although I'm gonna be waiting for the better titles to come).

Another thing I'll note is on Phantom Crash. Its basically a mech version of Gran Turismo. You buy a basic mech from different dealers then from there you fully customise it with weapons, paint job, stickers, AI assitant, weight, etc and fight other entrants to grab cash in different little leagues and stuff. :-)

All the game I have listed are either out or will be coming out over November. :-)
Hope this helps you a little.
Sat 09/11/02 at 11:06
Regular
Savatt, you know the 2 games free thing, can I choose any two games? Because I checked on SR and the only two games included in the package were JSRF and Sega GT...
Sat 09/11/02 at 11:39
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Thats why its called the Sega pack mate - you get JSRF and Sega GT 2002 with it. JSRF is a superb game which I'm sure you'll like. Sega GT on the other hand - mags have been giving it high scores and I'm sure there are people that will disagree with me, but I'm not all that impressed with it. Shops like SR add a third game into the deal though like DOA3 which isn't much on top and if you don't like one of the games in the pack, you could always trade it in.

As far as getting a deal with any games goes, I think places like Gamestation will give you a nice little deal if you come up with a couple of games you want. I dunno if SR will do this, but its always worth asking them. :-)
Sat 09/11/02 at 13:08
Regular
RM18 wrote:
> 1) Will future Shenmue games be released after 2? (I have already got
> it on DC)

Its very likely Shenmue 3 will be released on Xbox. Shenmue 2x looks very intresting.

> 2) What two games are the best to get?

Halo - obviously. Read savs list, Sav made a really good post a few weeks ago about buying an Xbox. I'll dig it up for you :)

> 3) What are the chances of a future price drop? (With the way
> Microsoft are going, you never know)

Its very unlikely, ut you never know ;)

The 2 Free games deal is great, If you don't like the controller, then get a "Controller S" its a smaller official pad ;)
Sat 09/11/02 at 17:26
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Toys R Us have the best deals I've seen.

An Xbox, JSRF, Sega GT, DOA3, Blinx and Mad Dash Racing= £200

Mad Dash is crap, but well still a good deal. Other shops do Xbox, Sega GT, JSRF, Halo and an extra controller for £185 I think.

Saw them today in Dixons, when I was pre-ording Splinter Cell. :P
Sat 09/11/02 at 18:33
Regular
Mantis wrote:
> Saw them today in Dixons, when I was pre-ording Splinter Cell. :P

I've pre-ordered my copy aswell :)
Sat 09/11/02 at 19:27
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Shenmue 3 is comming out on XBox. The free games are pretty good, if you own a DC then you will probably know about Jet Set Radio. Its a amazing XBox game and a top XBox game. Sega GT 2002 isnt really brilliant well some like it but others dont, its free. Get the DOA3 package from SR as DOA3 is a pretty cool game, its normal Beat em up but great fun with friends with quite alot to do and unlock.

Halo is a must have game. If theres one rule you must keep to when owning a XBox is

1 x XBox console + 1 x Halo game = Great FUN!!!!!!

Project Gotham is another top notch racing game, if you own a DC you may have played its prequel MSR. Then theres loads of other titles that are good, and tons that are coming out which should be good.

XBox is a great machine and if you have the cash to spend, get £164.99 XBox pack, extra controller, and Halo. Plus XBox Live is out soon, so games like Unreal Championship can be enjoyed with killing people from all over Europe and America. You do need Broadband 512k at least to have XBox Live.
Sat 09/11/02 at 19:40
Regular
"everyone says it"
They are making an offer like that because they are desperate to sell more consoles.

I enjoy selling them now, only because they are normally returned as 'we dont like it'.

:-D

But really, Splinter Cell is good. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.