GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'm thinking of getting an Xbox but..."

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 09/11/02 at 08:38
Regular
After a somewhat unexpected windfall, I'm sitting on a tidy sum of money, with the option of splashing out on expensive Christmas presents for the family or something else...........

Something else it is then. Anyway, my interest in Xbox, despite owning one for a very short time after it was released, was limited. Basically, I am a Ninty at heart, but I don't have blind faith - I go to where the best games are, and it seems the only way to do that is just own all the consoles. :D

I was put off by the price though, until I saw 2 games free and a Xbos for £155!!! Bloomin' hell! They really are making it an offer you can't refuse. Anyway, as a huuuge fan of Shenmue, I have some questions...

1) Will future Shenmue games be released after 2? (I have already got it on DC)
2) What two games are the best to get?
3) What are the chances of a future price drop? (With the way Microsoft are going, you never know)

Answers on a postcard - or failing that, just reply. Danke.
Mon 11/11/02 at 13:51
get one now RM18 I was a hater of xbox but it grew on me really badly.
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:05
Regular
How you finding the controller S? I like it!

£149.99 is decent, JSRF is amazing. Your saying about loading times, but sega GT 2002 does have quite a few loading screens and stuff which can get annoying. JSRF is excellent fun!
Sun 10/11/02 at 10:51
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
James, i got that xbox bundle from gamestation for a whopping ... £149.99 ! It's the one with SegaGT 2002 (which is feckin amazing) and jet set radio future ( which is strange). With the money i had left over i bought a S-Control and today im going out to get halo. At £150 its the best deal you could ever ask for. One niggle i have is that sega gt and jet set radio future both come on the same disc, which is fine and actually works out quite well because i dont have to keep changing discs, so really it's a niggle. Also it just shows how much you can fit on one disc. The disc i got had the two full games and a load of videos to go with it.

Also, while i was carrying it round town after i had bought it, my arm started to go numb so i kept switing arms to relieve the pressure. It's a blody heavy beast ! And im no weak guy, but that thing is so heavy ! No wonder it had (something along these lines) -

"!! Saftey Warning !! Do not drop ! Can cause serious injury to people, especially small children, and the xbox console."
It had these plastered all over it ! Cracked me up that did ... literally :)

So far i dont have a problem in the world with my new toy, the loading times are a bit of a pain compared to the instant ones with the gamecube, and the fact that i cut myself trying to open the s-control packaging in the car, with no scissors or anything, but apart from that it's great !
Sun 10/11/02 at 10:27
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
er-no wrote:
> They are making an offer like that because they are desperate to sell
> more consoles.
>
> I enjoy selling them now, only because they are normally returned as
> 'we dont like it'.

Someone in another topic said you work for Game ? I believe them, the above sentences are almost out of the Game training manual... has Game ever considered that maybe the Xbox isn't popular in their stores because nearly all the staff slate it ?

In the Nottingham store this Saturday one of the idiots told this guy the graphics were not as good as PS2 ? Was this employee blind or something ?

Game are fast getting a reputation worse than even Dixons...

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 10/11/02 at 07:34
Regular
Talking about the point earlier, I was one of those people that used to diss the Xbox, mostly for the usual reasons - it's too expensive, bulky, controller is pants etc. But the reason I think Microsoft will succeed eventually is because they are making the Xbox an essential purchase - from reducing the price to more affordable console owners, to securing great games, to having Shenmue 2 and 3. :D

But I am fortunate enought to be in a position where I can afford all three. Many people may only have one to choose from, and that is where the battle lies. Out of a choice for all three, many people may still go for PS2 (and to a lesser extent Gamecube). The time people start choosing Xbox as their only console is the time they will really succeed.
Sun 10/11/02 at 00:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
er-no wrote:
> Read my new topic dudey.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'll bet every penny I have that you're slating it. Not that you're predictable or anything.
Sat 09/11/02 at 20:25
Regular
ËÏi†è ¢h@ø$ wrote:
> Oh and the controller s, that is apparently smaller than the original,
> does this come with the Sega GT + JSRF package?

No it does'nt (which is a great shame) as the controller S is excellent!
Sat 09/11/02 at 19:47
Regular
"everyone says it"
ËÏi†è ¢h@ø$ wrote:
And watched the trailer for blinx,
> and noticed in game you could rewind, record and fast forward. Could
> anyone explain these cool features?

Read my new topic dudey.
Sat 09/11/02 at 19:43
Regular
"Unretired"
Oh and the controller s, that is apparently smaller than the original, does this come with the Sega GT + JSRF package?
Sat 09/11/02 at 19:40
Regular
"Unretired"
Well, I ordered mine from argos (Came with free dvd remote). Ordered it with halo, cant wait.

Also I have some questions to ask.
I watched that super xbox dvd (The one when those people find eyes and ears and put them on themselves) And watched the trailer for blinx, and noticed in game you could rewind, record and fast forward. Could anyone explain these cool features? As Im think of buying it with splinter cell.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.