GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I'd like this..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 08/11/02 at 21:02
Regular
Films, there are lots of them around, but sometimes you'd wish they'd make the ones you really want to see. I mean, you come up with a good idea, or read an excellent book and you just know that there's no way it will be turned in to a film or TV series any time soon.

I suppose it isn't so bad as reading a good book and then finding out it has become a straight to video affair with some B-list celeb doing their bit for the hammy actors club of Hollywood, but it can get infuriating at times when you hear of all these big blockbusters with no coherant storyline at all.

So what can we do, apart from becoming chummy with the director and passing a story their way, saying "hey, mate, have you read this? It's a cracking read." It really is a matter of hoping and waiting as far as the book to film process goes and then it's a lottery as to whether a decent effort is made to keep the plot, characters and general format of the original story.

So the whole 'books to films' thing could happen, but ideas you've thought of yourself. Well, you could go off to write your own novel, I suppose, but it still involves people actually buying it, thinking it's good and the book getting the attention of a director or someone else in the film business. Alternatively, you could bombard the film and TV companies with scripts and letters until they finally fold and give in (or send the police around to your house).

Like many people, I have a fair amount of ideas for programmes. How about a series (or, even more radically a series of films) where the main emphasis is on the evil force (or person, but personally I would prefer a supernatural force) and the attempts to thwart it. Different would-be heroes could attempt to combat this evil each time, but fail. There doesn't even have to be one that succeeds in the end (unless the stupid public put pressure on the film or TV company). I don't think anything like this has ever been attempted, as most of these media types like to just play it safe.

Where have all the radical ideas gone for movies and TV series, anyway? Look at the great series of the past; Sapphire and Steel and The Prisoner for instance, these were programmes that dared to be different, now we have endless copycat movies and series, all time-travel and cop dramas, nothing that pushes the boundaries of TV. Why is this? because the companies have found easy ways of making money and only cater for the brainless masses rather than those of us who would like to be challenged by our media.

Being open to new ideas and looking for that something special (not just because it will put bums on seats either) is not that hard, but with the media more interested in making money than radical material, we may never see some of the things we'd like or dream of on our TV or cinema screens.
Mon 11/11/02 at 20:56
"possibly impossible"
Belldandy wrote:
> > It's narrow minded to choose not to watch something because you
> consider it a chick flick.
>

Here here, it tends to be those people who are unsure of their own sexuality or manlyness that can't stand to be seen to be watching anything without muscles or fast cars.

In fact, in retrospect it seems more normal than watching some sweaty muscle bloke....

;-)
Sun 10/11/02 at 19:46
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Belldandy wrote:
> Occasionaly more interesting films, like Elizabeth, Shakespeare in
> Love, Moulin Rouge, Titanic
>
> That's a joke.......right?

Nope, all good films in their own way. Just because I'm male doesn't mean I'm afraid to watch something that doesn't involve macho rubbish and fighting e.t.c. Elizabeth was a really good film, and not what I'd consider a "chick flick" at all, as was Moulin Rouge.

It's good to watch some different stuff now and again - it's different at any rate, though Moulin Rouge was kind of like a return to the old musical films.

It's narrow minded to choose not to watch something because you consider it a chick flick.

~~Belldandy~~
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:32
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
I'm not a prisoner
I'm a free man
And my blood is my own now.
Don't care where the past was
I know where I'm going
OUT!
Sun 10/11/02 at 12:07
"possibly impossible"
I'm not convinced that Titanic was that different from something like the Posiden adventure (probably spelt wrong, but what the hey!). I actually preferred that to Titanic to be honest.

I do hear what you're saying though and of course money is involved to a large extent, but it would be nice to give people more freedom in the film industry and on TV. The point is that we used to have this when television first started, but now everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon as soon as they see a formula that works.
Sat 09/11/02 at 23:32
Regular
He likes chick flicks. Nothing wrong with that.
(He's a he)
Oh...
Sat 09/11/02 at 23:29
Regular
Belldandy wrote:
> Occasionaly more interesting films, like Elizabeth, Shakespeare in
> Love, Moulin Rouge, Titanic

That's a joke.......right?
Sat 09/11/02 at 23:27
Regular
*Sits up straight*
Lesbians?!

;)
Fri 08/11/02 at 22:37
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
New ideas for films and Tv series face one big problem in this country, and this is just the beginning as well, in that well over half the adult population thinks that soaps are the peak of entertainment, despite the fact that if anyone really lived the lives of the characters then they'd be suicidal, mental, or have long since moved somewhere safer.

The West Wing, whatever some say are it's faults, was new and a bit different, and got banged on at some stupid time where it's probably watched by hardly anyone, because it's not interesting to most.

CSI, a great crime drama thing, and it's doomed to obscurity because more people would rather watch silent witness which by comparison is mind numbingly dull.

When the X Files was first on BBC2 had it on at like 11pm on tuesdays, and hardly anyone watched it until Sky bought it, then it got popular because Sky gave it the timeslot.

Having said that, when the BBC does go and do some different things; Spooks (last year) and Tipping The Velvet, they get ignored or simplified. Spooks became "that violent program", and Tipping The Velvet "that lesbian thing". Neither of these were really true, yet in the minds of the BBC directors Eastenders suddenly seems a lot safer and less likely to get conservative audiences dialing the broadcasting standards people...

I don't think originality in shows is dead, but that it's migrating to satellite channels where more unique stuff tends to get the viewing figures.

Films ? I don't think theres too much of a problem, every year we get some unique films alongside the predictable stuff. But, sales receipts show that the unique stuff, like Traffic, Blow, Thirteen Days and so on tend to do badly compared to the latest gun blasting action film. Occasionaly more interesting films, like Elizabeth, Shakespeare in Love, Moulin Rouge, Titanic e.t.c do become popular through using popular actors/actoresses, or in James Cameron's case, more special effects than you can shake a bg stick at :)

~~Belldandy~~
Fri 08/11/02 at 21:02
"possibly impossible"
Films, there are lots of them around, but sometimes you'd wish they'd make the ones you really want to see. I mean, you come up with a good idea, or read an excellent book and you just know that there's no way it will be turned in to a film or TV series any time soon.

I suppose it isn't so bad as reading a good book and then finding out it has become a straight to video affair with some B-list celeb doing their bit for the hammy actors club of Hollywood, but it can get infuriating at times when you hear of all these big blockbusters with no coherant storyline at all.

So what can we do, apart from becoming chummy with the director and passing a story their way, saying "hey, mate, have you read this? It's a cracking read." It really is a matter of hoping and waiting as far as the book to film process goes and then it's a lottery as to whether a decent effort is made to keep the plot, characters and general format of the original story.

So the whole 'books to films' thing could happen, but ideas you've thought of yourself. Well, you could go off to write your own novel, I suppose, but it still involves people actually buying it, thinking it's good and the book getting the attention of a director or someone else in the film business. Alternatively, you could bombard the film and TV companies with scripts and letters until they finally fold and give in (or send the police around to your house).

Like many people, I have a fair amount of ideas for programmes. How about a series (or, even more radically a series of films) where the main emphasis is on the evil force (or person, but personally I would prefer a supernatural force) and the attempts to thwart it. Different would-be heroes could attempt to combat this evil each time, but fail. There doesn't even have to be one that succeeds in the end (unless the stupid public put pressure on the film or TV company). I don't think anything like this has ever been attempted, as most of these media types like to just play it safe.

Where have all the radical ideas gone for movies and TV series, anyway? Look at the great series of the past; Sapphire and Steel and The Prisoner for instance, these were programmes that dared to be different, now we have endless copycat movies and series, all time-travel and cop dramas, nothing that pushes the boundaries of TV. Why is this? because the companies have found easy ways of making money and only cater for the brainless masses rather than those of us who would like to be challenged by our media.

Being open to new ideas and looking for that something special (not just because it will put bums on seats either) is not that hard, but with the media more interested in making money than radical material, we may never see some of the things we'd like or dream of on our TV or cinema screens.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.