GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Check your Ram!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/12/00 at 23:12
Regular
Check your Ram before your PC warranty runs out!

I got a Time PC and when I got it I didn't really care how much Ram I had cos it was a new PC and should be able to play new games.

Now it's almost 3 years old and the warranty has run out! I win Command & Conquer from SPecial REserve and it turns out that it runs so slow cos I haven't got enough Ram!

I was confused by this because the game needs 64mb Ram to work and that's what I was told I had.

So I checked and it turns out I am phisically missing 5mb Ram! I have only 59 Mb Ram instead of 60 and it's too late tocomplain to Time cos my warranty has run out!

Doh!

So remember, wherever you buy your PC check how much Ram you have!

If you want to know how just ask and I'll tell you.
Wed 06/12/00 at 23:12
Regular
Check your Ram before your PC warranty runs out!

I got a Time PC and when I got it I didn't really care how much Ram I had cos it was a new PC and should be able to play new games.

Now it's almost 3 years old and the warranty has run out! I win Command & Conquer from SPecial REserve and it turns out that it runs so slow cos I haven't got enough Ram!

I was confused by this because the game needs 64mb Ram to work and that's what I was told I had.

So I checked and it turns out I am phisically missing 5mb Ram! I have only 59 Mb Ram instead of 60 and it's too late tocomplain to Time cos my warranty has run out!

Doh!

So remember, wherever you buy your PC check how much Ram you have!

If you want to know how just ask and I'll tell you.
Thu 07/12/00 at 08:28
Regular
"not dead"
Thanks for the warning Edgy. I went outside to check on my ram, only to discover that it had escaped its pen, and was eating flowers in the garden! Luckily I got to it pretty quickly, so it didn't do too much damage.

I think if you're checking your RAM on the properties screen, doesn't it just state available RAM? An isn't so much taken up by the OS? I'm not really sure, but I had a similar problem with my PC not wanting to play with me, so I opened it up, and stuck an extra 128MB in. Bringing it to a total of 160MB. Only cost me £63.
Thu 07/12/00 at 18:34
Regular
I've got a program on my Red Alert 2 disk which shows the available Ram and the total ram. I've hardly got any available ram left but every day the available figure changes depending what programs you use
Thu 07/12/00 at 19:12
Regular
This is rather confusing...

RAM wipes clean... cough... after you turn off the computer, so it's completely empty everytime you turn it back on.

If you are having trouble, try closing down everything in the bottom right tray thing, like virus guards and so on.
Thu 07/12/00 at 22:10
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Question! Today I had a computing mock exam, what does RAm stand for and whatis the difference to ROM! I am sure I got it correct!
Thu 07/12/00 at 22:12
Regular
Random Access Memory, Read Only Memory.

Basically, RAM is temparory storage, and ROM can't be altered.
Thu 07/12/00 at 22:15
Regular
"Excommunicated"
And the two marks go to Grix!
Thu 07/12/00 at 22:16
Regular
I deserve more.

: )
Thu 07/12/00 at 22:19
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Thats all that was offered and I got it correct, got another one what does GUI stand for and what does it mean (I think it was that).

I failed a question about databases I wish I revised that!
Thu 07/12/00 at 22:21
Regular
"not dead"
graphical User Interface.
Pretty self explanatory.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.