GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Just accept you have to lose weight, fatty!""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 27/08/08 at 14:10
Regular
Click

Report on yahoo news which basically says that Shadow Health Secretary has come out and said that fat people need to stop making excuses (either themselves or for them by other people) and lose weight.

Is this fair? If someone is happy being fat, should they be actively encouraged to lose weight? Being fat can bring health issues, as we all know, so even if someone is happy & healthy now, but large, is there a way of forcing them to lose weight? If there is, should it be done?

Personally, I don't generally see many happy fat people. What I do see, in the town where I live, is a definite increase in their numbers. Sorry, I know that last setence makes me sound like some kind of sizest, but there we go.

Fat children - is it their fault? Probably not, at 5, 6 years of age etc, you eat whatever your parents give you to eat. Is there an excuse for not eating healthily? I can only think of one - laziness.

Discuss.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:10
Regular
Click

Report on yahoo news which basically says that Shadow Health Secretary has come out and said that fat people need to stop making excuses (either themselves or for them by other people) and lose weight.

Is this fair? If someone is happy being fat, should they be actively encouraged to lose weight? Being fat can bring health issues, as we all know, so even if someone is happy & healthy now, but large, is there a way of forcing them to lose weight? If there is, should it be done?

Personally, I don't generally see many happy fat people. What I do see, in the town where I live, is a definite increase in their numbers. Sorry, I know that last setence makes me sound like some kind of sizest, but there we go.

Fat children - is it their fault? Probably not, at 5, 6 years of age etc, you eat whatever your parents give you to eat. Is there an excuse for not eating healthily? I can only think of one - laziness.

Discuss.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:15
Regular
Fat people take up far too much space on the bus, it gets on my nerves. I make an effort to excercise, and eat healthily. I think they should too.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:24
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Of course there's a bloody excuse for it, it's usually poor health, diabetes etc which starts a vicious circle. Some people have mental issues which lead them to food. This is a f**king stupid thing to generalise on by a nobody politician looking to make a name for themselves. Of course people should be encouraged to exercise but instead of blaming them when they dont, maybe someone should be looking at why it's an issue in the first place.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:27
Regular
Surely poor health is a cause for weight issues, not an excuse for them.

You can't turn round and say "I'm a heffer but it's not my fault, it's because I'm unhealthy." That's a ridiculous thing to say.

It should be "I'm unhealthy, I eat like a pig and do sod all excercise, that's why I'm 27 stone.".
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:28
Regular
The other day I read that thousands of workers in Alabama have been imposed a monthly $25 insurance fee for being obese. I concur with that to a degree, because some people should really take some personal accountability for themselves. It's unfortunate that the government needs to impede on one's personal freedoms this way to get people to take a good look at their lifestyles. Apparently the cost for obese-related health issues has become so overwhelming and dire for the state government, that they had to take some measure to attempt recovery of their straining health care budgets.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:35
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
The message is correct, the rhetoric is wrong. We should be talking about people taking responsibility for their lives and being in control of it. Telling people to stop making excuses is obviously going to be counter productive.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:45
Regular
"Hello?"
lol, sorry, just thought of a sketch Ricky Gervais does in his Fame show I went to see. 'It's not a disease!!!'

Seriously though, I think it comes to a point when you lose the freedom to do things that you use to do when there has got to be some action taken on that person behalf. Yes there are factors that cause some people to be overweight, but in general is has to come down to the lifestyle that one leads. Eating crap all day everyday will only lead to one thing..

I couldn't imagine being so big that I was unable to walk without aid or unable to run more than 20m with the thought that a heart attack is almost imminent.

It's a good point about where it all starts, when you’re young and you don't necessarily have a say in what you eat. If you're brought up eating healthy food the majority of the time and getting regular exercise then surely you'll be able to lead a healthy life without obesity even coming into it.

So why do we love junk food so much, is it because it was always something we shouldn't eat as kids, something that was deemed as a treat? I wonder how much of the hype around junk food is actually based around this thought. I mean come on there's not much junk food that's actually nice to eat; I'd rather eat fresh food etc. I'm not saying I never eat junk food, I eat my fare share? It boils down to the simplicity of preparing or ordering. So yea it's laziness I guess, but with exercise I can just about contain my baby ;)

If people are happy with how they look and can handle the disadvantages or being overweight then that's fine. I know some factors are out of people hands when it comes to being a tad on the heavy side, but really diets and exercise really does work. It comes down to will power and how much you want something.

Anyways that's just my view on things.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:46
Regular
"Monochromatic"
YH wrote:
> Surely poor health is a cause for weight issues, not an excuse
> for them.
>
> You can't turn round and say "I'm a heffer but it's not my
> fault, it's because I'm unhealthy." That's a ridiculous
> thing to say.

Ill, not unhealthy. Its in no way a ridiculous thing to say, it's a perfectly legitimate reason for being overweight, especially when it comes to something like diabetes.
Wed 27/08/08 at 14:58
Regular
Black8704 wrote:
> I couldn't imagine being so big that I was unable to walk
> without aid or unable to run more than 20m with the thought that
> a heart attack is almost imminent.

I always think that if my belly ever got in the way of me seeing, y'know, my little YH down there, that would make me realise I had a problem.
Wed 27/08/08 at 15:00
Regular
Nin wrote:

> Ill, not unhealthy. Its in no way a ridiculous thing to say,
> it's a perfectly legitimate reason for being overweight,
> especially when it comes to something like diabetes.

Apologies. When you said "poor health" earlier I thought you meant unhealthy.

True, there are some people who are overweight because of health issues. But I suspect, and this is based on me guessing, that nowadays the majority of people became ill because of their weight issues & their illness did not cause the weight gain.

I.e., the eating crap and doing no excerise comes first, and the diabetes etc is a result of that, rather than the other way round.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.