GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"corporation hold ups"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 06/12/00 at 19:41
Regular
I sometimes wonder whether big game companies and more likely software producers hold back technology to basically rinse as much money out of the unsuspecting customer as they can. Bill Gates may not be the Devil, (contrary to a minority forum belief) but he has in the past brought out several systems upgrading eachother by hundreds of mhz at near enough weeks apart, and then waited months and months for the next one.

I know he, (I say he, but I can imagine executives and the like doing the damage...) i know 'they' must want to bleed the market for as much as they can, (dont know why, all that money rolling around already...) but isnt holding back technology illegal?

This annoys me, theory as it may be...because my games!.....my precious games, stopped from running at a possible higher resolution...

Well enough hoping and dreaming, I just hope Bill got my letter....
Wed 06/12/00 at 19:41
I sometimes wonder whether big game companies and more likely software producers hold back technology to basically rinse as much money out of the unsuspecting customer as they can. Bill Gates may not be the Devil, (contrary to a minority forum belief) but he has in the past brought out several systems upgrading eachother by hundreds of mhz at near enough weeks apart, and then waited months and months for the next one.

I know he, (I say he, but I can imagine executives and the like doing the damage...) i know 'they' must want to bleed the market for as much as they can, (dont know why, all that money rolling around already...) but isnt holding back technology illegal?

This annoys me, theory as it may be...because my games!.....my precious games, stopped from running at a possible higher resolution...

Well enough hoping and dreaming, I just hope Bill got my letter....
Wed 06/12/00 at 21:54
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Well, my brother's friend's dad works for Microsoft, so I know all about them...(yeah right)..
Anyway, I'm pretty sure microsoft do their utmost to leech all the money thay can from people by releasing stuff slowly.
My latest reason to hate Microsoft is because they've just decided they will no longer support java. The programming language I'm learning at Uni as part of my course for the next three years is......Java!
Hooray for Bill Gates and his attempted destruction of my future!

Bill Gates should not be regarded as a bad person.
Bill Gates should not be regarded as a person at all...
Thu 07/12/00 at 03:45
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
OK you two, and me for that matter, let's take another view and put ourselves in his shoes for a minute or two.

Many years ago, Paul Allen and Bill (bless) founded the entity that is now Microsoft. It didn't quite start in a garage like Apple did, but it quickly became a global company with $bn's in assets. Nothing can now really harm Microsoft short of a couple of strategically placed nuclear warheads. Even splitting the company in two will just mean two very aggressive market dominating companies will now exist instead of just one.

So, they've got the market sewn up. They've got lots of money. YOU now are in Bill's (bless) shoes. What would YOU do. Personally, if I had that much cash I'd retire and play next-gen consoles till I get to the stage where I need a nurse to hold my joystick for me, but Bill is a driven man. So my aim in his place would be to produce the BEST product for business that I possibly could. And the BEST product for home users that I possibly could. And the BEST product for gamers that I possibly could.

If JAVA was scrapped, you can be sure there was a good reason to do it. Bringing out new products every few weeks used to be a necessity in a volatile and ever more aggresive marketplace, but not any more. I think we are starting to see a tailing off of jumps in processor speeds in the small business to home user end. Big business and governments and military will always require the fastest product, that is their nature. So, like Bill, I'd have these markets alloted to separate parts of my company.

This would mean constant (expensive) upgrades for the intensive users, and a jump every 18 months or so for the home user. How big a jump? Would 250MHz do you? That seems to be the way it's going. Too fast and too soon means programmers and peripherals won't be able to catch up, or make the best use of, these new chips as they are released and become obsolete over a period of a few months. Did the PS2 come out too soon? I don't believe so, I think we needed it, but already we have seen the difficulties that programmers have had designing software to run with it, although this will become easier for them with experience.

So, onto the X-Box. I think that this will be, after release, a console built for longevity. 4-5 years at least. That would be my goal. New technology and improvements would be available on a monthly basis, but why bother? Leave it for a few years until you really CAN see a big improvement, then go for the X-BoxII with a big fanfare, a bit like Sony did with the transition from the PSX to the PS2. I might even, a year before the new console launch, produce miniature X-Boxes like Sony did with the PSONE, but I'd call them....BoxerShorts.

(Can't you be serious for a minute?)
(No.)

So in my view, Bill (bless) has the power to do good. And despite all the joshing, I think he actually will do just that. Time, as they say, will tell.
Thu 07/12/00 at 08:53
Regular
"not dead"
Duracell could make batteries that would last for much longer, almost everlasting, if they wanted to, but they'd put themselves out of business if they did. So they just keep on improving it slightly, rather than doing the best they could.
Thu 07/12/00 at 09:25
"High polygon count"
Same with cars. The motor industry could, I'm sure, make economic, fast solar/battery powered cars, but it would probably kill off the oil industry, and they won't have that!

When - yes, WHEN - the world's oil supply runs out, I think the 'sudden' progress in electric cars will be astounding!
Thu 07/12/00 at 11:18
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Bill Gates is scrapping java because it has a deep-rooted fundamental flaw: It isn't owned by microsoft.
It's the fastest growing high level programming language there is, and Bill Gates is trying to kill it off before it gets too much power......which is exactly what I'd so if I were him....
Thu 07/12/00 at 11:50
"High polygon count"
Didn't Gates try and make some fundamental change to Java or something? But Sun Microsystems took them to court and won?

I seem to recall something like that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.