GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I've got a CD-RW - Help me"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/11/02 at 12:27
Regular
Yep, my dad went out yesterday and spent something like £80/90 on a new CD-Rom Drive that can also play DVD's - aswell as it being a CD-ReWriter.
I don't know why he wanted a ReWriter though? I've never been that bothered about getting one, especially with only a 56k modem.
But now that I've got it, I might aswell use it.

For copying music, of course.
But what I want to know is whether I need CD-R or CD-RW discs for copying music onto them. What's the difference between them - besides price?

Now I'll be able to start-up my own home business around school and charge £5 per CD, just like everyone else does. ;D

Only problem is that I fear my bloomin' TINY PC will break-it, just like it's done with the last THREE CD-Rom Drives we've had!!
I told him we'd be better off buying a new PC, but he just won't listen.
Mon 04/11/02 at 13:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
When im copying stuff i just do it from one drive to the other. Its been fine so far.
Mon 04/11/02 at 13:29
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Little Hobbo wrote:
> Best not to, it's unstable.

Oh yeah, if you want to have two drives to do direct copies, I'd suggest the CD-writer has the burn proof function, it enables the CD to be created without any gaps which could make it unusable.
Mon 04/11/02 at 13:28
Regular
"It goes so quickly"
Keep it simple:

Use CD-R's for Music
Use CD-RW for saving data, like office files etc.

It doesn't take all that long to create a full CD, usually music takes longer than files, but that is depending on where the source is (i.e file/music from your Hard Drive or direct from another CD).

> Apparently you can copy CD's straight from one Drive to the other with 2 > in your PC.

Yep, thats what I do. I have a CD-ROM Drive (NO DVD, just CD's) at a fast speed, and a CD-R/CD-RW. If you have the software, you can just create a new CD from the original in the other Drive. I use the software supplied by Iomega for the ZIP,CD. its pretty good, and takes about 5 minutes to make a straight copy for Music.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:49
Regular
"Wotz a Tagline...?"
Solskjær wrote:

> My dad also brought another, cheap, CD-Rom Drive but then realised we
> have no space to fit a second Drive in on the PC. Apparently you can
> copy CD's straight from one Drive to the other with 2 in your PC.

Best not to, it's unstable.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:46
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Alright then, cheers everyone.
CD-R's it is then.

So you can over-write the stuff on a CD-RW disc but not on a CD-R.
And most CD players cannot play CD-RW's.

How long does it roughly take to copy one-whole CD?
With my PC, I have to copy it from the music CD, save it to the Hard Drive, and then put it onto the blank CD-R.
My dad also brought another, cheap, CD-Rom Drive but then realised we have no space to fit a second Drive in on the PC. Apparently you can copy CD's straight from one Drive to the other with 2 in your PC.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:38
Regular
"Fly like the wind"
Hi

Always remember the following:

If you wish to make a music CD, it will not play in most home or car CD players if you are using a CD-RW disc. However, some of the newer Hi-Fi systems DO cater for CD-RW playback because they include a function called "Multi-read".
But, even though you may want to record to CD-RW, you can always play it back using a standard CD-ROM drive on your computer.
PC's are compatible with almost anything out there in this day and age.
By the way, CD-RW drives can make both, CD-R and CD-RW discs, where as CD-R drives only manage for CD-R discs, so having a CD-ReWriter is very handy, and what's best is that you can delete your stuff from a CD-RW disc , providing you have not finalised the CD.

But always remember that CD-R discs are best used for music playback on most home HI-FI systems and CD-RW is used for everything else. I don't have a HI-FI that reads CD-RW, but if you do then you are lucky :)

Hope this helps.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:37
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
You want CD-R, As CD-RW don't tend to work in CD players.

CD-R Compact Disc Writable Once copied can't be changed

CD-RW Compact Disc Re-Writable Info can be delted and used again, like floppy disks
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
CD-R allows you to put MP3s on and listen in a stereo.

I bought CD-RW 1st time I used one and it didnt play, hence a fight in PC World.
I hate that shop, staffed entirely by shaved apes and Bennies.
Mon 04/11/02 at 12:27
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Yep, my dad went out yesterday and spent something like £80/90 on a new CD-Rom Drive that can also play DVD's - aswell as it being a CD-ReWriter.
I don't know why he wanted a ReWriter though? I've never been that bothered about getting one, especially with only a 56k modem.
But now that I've got it, I might aswell use it.

For copying music, of course.
But what I want to know is whether I need CD-R or CD-RW discs for copying music onto them. What's the difference between them - besides price?

Now I'll be able to start-up my own home business around school and charge £5 per CD, just like everyone else does. ;D

Only problem is that I fear my bloomin' TINY PC will break-it, just like it's done with the last THREE CD-Rom Drives we've had!!
I told him we'd be better off buying a new PC, but he just won't listen.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.