GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"USB Keyring Drive"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 03/11/02 at 19:53
Regular
I bought one of these thingys a month ago, and think they're pretty good. However, I did have concerns over vulnerability of the USB connector, sticking out on its own like a...(EXPLETIVE DELETED).

Anyway,now the computer (in college and at home) won't recognise it, so I was wondering if anyone who has these drives havs had a similar experience, or even know how to fix the problem? Grateful for the help.
Mon 04/11/02 at 21:39
Regular
You should find there are some small pins that have come loose from the circuit board, it will be prett clear what needs soldering if you take it apart.

c.b.
Mon 04/11/02 at 18:32
Er. the only time I soldered something was in my first week ij Electronics, before dropping out.

What exactly do I need to solder it together again?
Mon 04/11/02 at 11:38
Regular
These drives are very prone for breaking in this way, what happens is over time theusb connector on the drive comes away from the circuit board inside as it only soldered on and when you take out the drive make sure you take it out carefully or use the usually provided usb extansion cable, send it back or try holding it at differant angles in the port see if the connections are loose, if they are then solder yourself.

c.b.
Mon 04/11/02 at 07:55
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Maybe the college computer is fux0r3d, tried the other ones?
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:39
The LED on the board (the case is transparent) does switch on when I connect the drive into a USB port, but only if I bend the connector a bit. Still doesn't get recognized by the PC, though.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:30
Yer, I have one of the very first 64mb versions, and to start with the actually slot was very sturdy, but has now become slightly loose. It still works, mind.
Sun 03/11/02 at 20:06
Na, I've used it before to tranfer large files between the college PC (which has cable internet access) and my home PC with no problem. I think it's to do with the connector, which wiggles a bit whenever I slot it into a USB port.
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:59
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
It says it can be stuck in and used right away.
Maybe the college's PC doesn't accept the use of USB prephirals...just a guess.
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:53
I bought one of these thingys a month ago, and think they're pretty good. However, I did have concerns over vulnerability of the USB connector, sticking out on its own like a...(EXPLETIVE DELETED).

Anyway,now the computer (in college and at home) won't recognise it, so I was wondering if anyone who has these drives havs had a similar experience, or even know how to fix the problem? Grateful for the help.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.