GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"hard drive detected wrong at boot"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/11/02 at 10:57
Regular
when i switch on my pc it picks up my slave drive (maxtor 4D060H3) as a maxtor romulus and then says hard srive check error and asks me to press F1 to continue. this is very annoying so i told it there was no slave drive and it still works fine in windows, problem is i will soon be using this as my master and am worried it wont work

it started doing this when i had to clear the bios using the jumper cos it wouldnt boot. the mobo is msi k7t turbo2
Mon 04/11/02 at 11:42
Regular
Have you got S.M.A.R.T enabled in the bios this is for ard drive error detection, try disabling it if it is enabled.

c.b.
Sun 03/11/02 at 14:45
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
you dont understand everything is right and it was working fine until i had to clear the bios

its been working like this since June then i overclocked the fsb too much tested it on 149, seemed fine 150 no power, cleared the bios and it started doing this at startup
Sun 03/11/02 at 13:52
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
In my experience, if you have two masters, two slaves or no master, the motherboard fails to POST.
Sun 03/11/02 at 11:50
Regular
yes it will ????.

c.b.
Sun 03/11/02 at 00:50
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Your system will just not POST if the jumpers are wrong, heh.
Sun 03/11/02 at 00:46
Regular
Make sure the jumpers on the hard drives are set properly, with the hard drive that is on the end of the ide cable (should be the one you boot from) set to master and the other hard drive on the next cable down set to slave and not cable select, on most hard drives with one jumper on them master is set nearest IDE and slave is remove jumper all together, you will have to look at your hard drive.

c.b.
Sat 02/11/02 at 23:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You shouldn't have two HDDs slave to each other you know, it reduces performance and increases the chance of Windows tripping over itself.
Sat 02/11/02 at 13:59
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
i forgot to mention it works fine in windows after this, i am just worried about using it as the master drive

still havent got around to trying it as the secondary master
Sat 02/11/02 at 12:42
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Well, I try and do my best :)

You drive will probably be fine though :)
Sat 02/11/02 at 12:26
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
it is on autodetect, if i go into the bios and hit detect again it picks it up fine, its just the initial boot when i hit power that it does this, will try it as master on the secondary ide connection now

ps. turbo, u seem to answer in every one of my topics

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.