GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Leipzig 2008 - Part 1: Sony Conference"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 21/08/08 at 15:35
"possibly impossible"
Leipzig 2008 Coverage starts with Sony’s Convention where a few new things were announced and game footage was shown. I've been watching the various reports and videos coming in, just for all of you. Though not as big a reveal as in E3, here is a rundown of what was on display:

The PSP 3000.
Sony have taken the Slim and Lite and enhanced the LCD screen. Now displaying more colours and having a brighter display, this should mean you can actually go outside with the PSP without having the fear of not actually being able to see anything.

It also has a microphone built in for the first time, which Sony plan to use in it’s Go! Communication package.
Should be in shops on 15th October at around 199 Euros with a game or application.

Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)
Showcasing their 3 games for the PS3: The Agency, DC Universe Online, and Free Realms. The Agency is looking great, teams of spies, it's a bit like a James Bond convention!

New PS3 Packs
80GB PS3 is out this Friday, for £299, the same price as the current 40GB. But a 160GB machine will be out on 31st October for about 450 Euros. It will also include a fair wack of paid for downloadable content free on the drive.

PlayTV out on 19th September. LittleBigPlanet is coming out on 29th October. We knew that already.

PS3 wireless Keypad
Slotting in to the PS3 pad (the wrong way around, by the looks of it) it will act as a quick chat device for online games and for XMB chat and a touchpad to act like a mini-mouse.

VidZone
Free of charge streaming music and videos (basically internet radio from Sony, then). Sounds a good idea if there are loads of channels. Out at the beginning of 2009.
Also next year there will be a separate video service for TV and movies, similar to the 360 but with the ability to buy movies and TV content to keep. This should be due out Q3 next year.

SingStar.
Planning to have PS2 Singstar tracks on the PS3 game. Yey. Just put the PS2 game disc in and you can use the tracks. Cue loads of cheap Singstar games being bought on ebay!

Plus, for the kids, SingStar Disney. Can’t wait to sing Under the Sea (hehe), out in the autumn, so my kids will want that for Christmas, then…

EyePet
Sounds like a northern phrase, but is in fact a typical Virtual Pet application (think Nintendogs, Sonycats perhaps?) but using the PS Eye to take a picture of your own room for the pet to play in.

Heavy Rain
From the videos this looks nice. Footage is supposed to be all in-game, very good.

Littlebigplanet
Pretty as ever, but nothing new.

Savage Moon
New PSN game. Pretty and looks fun.
Fri 22/08/08 at 05:10
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Interesting. I know somewhere i can pick up cheap computer parts so the 40GB version looks like a good option. I'll probably wait another year though until the PS3 has really gotten moving.
Fri 22/08/08 at 03:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Nin wrote:
> Out of interest i was talking to someone the other day and they
> said you can add any old pc harddrive to the PS3. Doesnt sound
> right

Not quite. It uses a 2.5inch sata HDD (those typically used in laptops). Even so you can buy a new HDD and replace the one in the PS3 if you want without voiding the warranty.
Fri 22/08/08 at 02:17
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
> 80GB PS3 is out this Friday, for £299, the same price as
> the current 40GB. But a 160GB machine will be out on 31st
> October for about 450 Euros.

I would hope this means a price cut for the 40GB. I was in Gamestation the other day watching a video of all manner of PS3 stuff and it's finally got my attention.
Out of interest i was talking to someone the other day and they said you can add any old pc harddrive to the PS3. Doesnt sound right
Thu 21/08/08 at 18:38
Regular
"THFC"
The Agency and DC look like great games, and will help the ps3 in sales as they are finally exclusive's. I think i will be picking up both these games (depending on online subscriptions and other costs)

Heavy Rain looks very different but graphics are very nice and could have a great story
Thu 21/08/08 at 18:34
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
Seems like it'll soon be the right time for me to pick up a PSP, now that its got a few more features.

Looks like theres a bit of a harddrive race from both Sony and Microsoft! Quite tempted by the 160gb PS3!
Thu 21/08/08 at 18:27
Regular
"THFC"
The SOE news is good, and some other nice aspects, wonder if anyone will pull out some big and exciting news!

Well done reporting this one pb
Thu 21/08/08 at 15:35
"possibly impossible"
Leipzig 2008 Coverage starts with Sony’s Convention where a few new things were announced and game footage was shown. I've been watching the various reports and videos coming in, just for all of you. Though not as big a reveal as in E3, here is a rundown of what was on display:

The PSP 3000.
Sony have taken the Slim and Lite and enhanced the LCD screen. Now displaying more colours and having a brighter display, this should mean you can actually go outside with the PSP without having the fear of not actually being able to see anything.

It also has a microphone built in for the first time, which Sony plan to use in it’s Go! Communication package.
Should be in shops on 15th October at around 199 Euros with a game or application.

Sony Online Entertainment (SOE)
Showcasing their 3 games for the PS3: The Agency, DC Universe Online, and Free Realms. The Agency is looking great, teams of spies, it's a bit like a James Bond convention!

New PS3 Packs
80GB PS3 is out this Friday, for £299, the same price as the current 40GB. But a 160GB machine will be out on 31st October for about 450 Euros. It will also include a fair wack of paid for downloadable content free on the drive.

PlayTV out on 19th September. LittleBigPlanet is coming out on 29th October. We knew that already.

PS3 wireless Keypad
Slotting in to the PS3 pad (the wrong way around, by the looks of it) it will act as a quick chat device for online games and for XMB chat and a touchpad to act like a mini-mouse.

VidZone
Free of charge streaming music and videos (basically internet radio from Sony, then). Sounds a good idea if there are loads of channels. Out at the beginning of 2009.
Also next year there will be a separate video service for TV and movies, similar to the 360 but with the ability to buy movies and TV content to keep. This should be due out Q3 next year.

SingStar.
Planning to have PS2 Singstar tracks on the PS3 game. Yey. Just put the PS2 game disc in and you can use the tracks. Cue loads of cheap Singstar games being bought on ebay!

Plus, for the kids, SingStar Disney. Can’t wait to sing Under the Sea (hehe), out in the autumn, so my kids will want that for Christmas, then…

EyePet
Sounds like a northern phrase, but is in fact a typical Virtual Pet application (think Nintendogs, Sonycats perhaps?) but using the PS Eye to take a picture of your own room for the pet to play in.

Heavy Rain
From the videos this looks nice. Footage is supposed to be all in-game, very good.

Littlebigplanet
Pretty as ever, but nothing new.

Savage Moon
New PSN game. Pretty and looks fun.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.