GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Control pads."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/12/00 at 18:55
Regular
As the next generation of consoles make their appearance, the next advance in control pads makes itself known. Or does it? It strikes me that there's very little in the way of control pad evolution this time around. Previously we have had the transition from joysticks to d-pads and buttons, then more buttons and an the introduction of analogue and rumble effects. Now what? The PS2 uses PS1 pads, and all the dreamcast has introduced is analogue shoulder buttons. The gamecube's pad tries to look different, but basically all have reached the same format: A directional pad, an analogue stick, a couple of shoulder buttons and another 4 buttons on the right hand side. There isn't really much of a jump up from the old N64 and PS1 pads.
Is this perhaps because these pads require the maximim amount of maneuverability that can be afforded by somebody with an average number of arms? Or perhaps any bigger and they'll be to bulky to lift or unusable by younger players?
It's not possible to say that you don't need more buttons. There is always some other function they could perform, be it another 'move' for your character of a shortcut button of some kind. With only one opposable thumb on each hand though, added functionality on pads is limited. There are only so many buttons you can cope with. For control pad design, practicality rather than ingenuity has become the limiting factor.

So until the next big leap (if there is to be one ) we'll just have to settle for out analogue stick, superswtich d-pad, shock-generating, quintuple-pronged, octally buttoned controller.
Tue 05/12/00 at 18:55
Regular
"smile, it's free"
As the next generation of consoles make their appearance, the next advance in control pads makes itself known. Or does it? It strikes me that there's very little in the way of control pad evolution this time around. Previously we have had the transition from joysticks to d-pads and buttons, then more buttons and an the introduction of analogue and rumble effects. Now what? The PS2 uses PS1 pads, and all the dreamcast has introduced is analogue shoulder buttons. The gamecube's pad tries to look different, but basically all have reached the same format: A directional pad, an analogue stick, a couple of shoulder buttons and another 4 buttons on the right hand side. There isn't really much of a jump up from the old N64 and PS1 pads.
Is this perhaps because these pads require the maximim amount of maneuverability that can be afforded by somebody with an average number of arms? Or perhaps any bigger and they'll be to bulky to lift or unusable by younger players?
It's not possible to say that you don't need more buttons. There is always some other function they could perform, be it another 'move' for your character of a shortcut button of some kind. With only one opposable thumb on each hand though, added functionality on pads is limited. There are only so many buttons you can cope with. For control pad design, practicality rather than ingenuity has become the limiting factor.

So until the next big leap (if there is to be one ) we'll just have to settle for out analogue stick, superswtich d-pad, shock-generating, quintuple-pronged, octally buttoned controller.
Tue 05/12/00 at 20:28
Regular
Myamoto (one of the worlds most professional games programmers) says that you only need 1 main action button for the best games!

(That's why Zelda 5 uses almost all the N64 controls)

Games companies do their market research before they see things so I'm sure they know what they are doing

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.