GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"ESRB Ratings and the like"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 05/12/00 at 14:58
Regular
ESRB ratings are now on almost evry game that you can get, but this doesn't stop people playing games deemed to be inappropriate for them, does it? Some games also have the age ratings like films have, but do we really use them?

I was looking at some of the games available, and on SR's site it does say (Rated 15) on games that are, but most sites don't have this. If it's parents that are buying the games for these children they need to take some responsibility. I think that the ESRB ratings are a good thing, they give a rough idea of who the game will suit. However, certain games will be played in different ways by different players. You can play a game of Goldeneye, trying to complete the missions, or you can try to round up the scientists, and see how far they travel when blow up by a mine! Still, in my opinion, anyone that is co-ordinated enough to play a computer game, understands the difference between a game and reality anyway. If they don't then they'll probably end up doing something crazy whether they play games, or watch films or not.

Anyway, I stray from my point a little. Do you people agree that games need these ratings?

Also, if you're still listenning, and at home, can anyone grab a handfull of Nintendo games, such as Mario64, Banjo kazooie etc and see if any of them have the Early Childhood symbol on. No? I think most of them are Kids to Adult.
Now look at a bunch of PS games, and tell me what they are rated.
Tue 05/12/00 at 14:58
Regular
"not dead"
ESRB ratings are now on almost evry game that you can get, but this doesn't stop people playing games deemed to be inappropriate for them, does it? Some games also have the age ratings like films have, but do we really use them?

I was looking at some of the games available, and on SR's site it does say (Rated 15) on games that are, but most sites don't have this. If it's parents that are buying the games for these children they need to take some responsibility. I think that the ESRB ratings are a good thing, they give a rough idea of who the game will suit. However, certain games will be played in different ways by different players. You can play a game of Goldeneye, trying to complete the missions, or you can try to round up the scientists, and see how far they travel when blow up by a mine! Still, in my opinion, anyone that is co-ordinated enough to play a computer game, understands the difference between a game and reality anyway. If they don't then they'll probably end up doing something crazy whether they play games, or watch films or not.

Anyway, I stray from my point a little. Do you people agree that games need these ratings?

Also, if you're still listenning, and at home, can anyone grab a handfull of Nintendo games, such as Mario64, Banjo kazooie etc and see if any of them have the Early Childhood symbol on. No? I think most of them are Kids to Adult.
Now look at a bunch of PS games, and tell me what they are rated.
Tue 05/12/00 at 16:18
Until Recently I would have said no, Fighting games like Tekken, even Mortal Kobat couldnt even start to warp a young persons mind....its just mindless violence. Nothing to be too concerned about because all men have that competative tendency and Tekken doesnt really make you go out and do violent fighting moves on your best freind (wish I could though!), all it does is make the youngsters take their violence out by playing Tekken (and become unfit and lazy, and therefore less likely to harm anyone).
But after playing "Silent Hill" I must confess, only an 18 rating. Well OK it was partially my own fault I wanted to see all 6 different endings, because I was gutted after playing the game for 8hrs just to find out my ending was that I was "in a car crash and dead!"....so I completed it so as to get every ending, and I must confess....it had a disturbing effect on me....I dont want to imagine how this could warp a young persons mind (turning them into a brutal serial killer), the effects of this sort of game rank up there with the brain warping effects of "Pokemon Stadium"....and should be warned against on packaging. Its nice to see Special reserve giving us this information too.
Tue 05/12/00 at 20:37
Regular
We have Elpsa (it could be Elspa) but I'm not sure!

It's a bit like the American ESRB but not as clear! I prefer ESRB!
Tue 05/12/00 at 20:55
Regular
"smile, it's free"
That raises a question:
Do Special Reserve in any way check that thier customers are old enough to have these games?
Tue 05/12/00 at 21:19
Im not sure, but I guess you have to be at least old enough to mail order...,i.e. Have a bank account and cheque book. And 16 old enough to smoke, so its certainly old enough to play games

WARNING SMOKING CAUSES CANCER--ASWELL AS EFFECTING LiBIDO IN MEN,

Videogames dont, in short

Videogames=good
Smoking=cancer=bad

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.