GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How The Console War Faded Out"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/08/08 at 15:00
Regular
"THFC"
About a year ago everything was up in the air, most gamers were either a Playstation fan, or a X-box fan. With some sitting in the middle, and Nintendo creeping up and making a huge impact on release. It has all died down a lot now and things have settled. We still have some people who hate Sony, some that cant stand Microsoft. Then the inbetweeners like myself who like all the avaliable consoles.

Because lets face it, not one of them is perfect and we all like ceratin things better than others. If we all like the same thing it would be a bit boring! So while some people will enjoy the interactive fun of the wii, others will hate it and think it is too childish and only Microsoft are getting good games etc etc...

But we have heard all about this before. So i went out and had a little look at how it had all settled down, what the sales of each console had to say about it and what we could expect in the future!

The Sales
For the companies this is one of the biggest factors, because if the sales don't stack up, their part of the Market Share is being lost and things could all start to go wrong. People also buy into figures, if one console was seen to be the best seller and most popular, ceratin shoppers go for the more popular console.
Anyway, here are the sales (worldwide, as accurate as can be)
X-Box 360:19,842,052
Playstation 3:10,852,857
Wii:22,732,706

The Wii really made a huge impact at Christmas and due to its "low" price it sold better than anyone anticipated. I was lucky enough to grab one in the early stages, aswlel as getting my hands on the discontinued Ps3 60GB. As many of you know i am now saving for an X-box 360, because i believe each console has something great to offer.

The Playstation is still not that old and so many games coming out will inspire a surge of purchases i would imagine, but it seems Microsoft are so much more willing to spend the extra money to improve things. Not saying Sony are cheap or trying to cut corners, i think they are just relying a bit more on the name.

I think the what was a once vicious debate of who had the best console, has now settled down nicely into one big gaming community with so many games being multi-format. I know the "hardcore" fan boys are disgusted with the likes of Final Fantasy 13 on X-box, but does it really matter at the end of the day. At least it means i can talk to more poeple about a game i enjoy.

Wouldn't it be lovely if one day there was only one console, so you had the biggest choice possible, the best hardware, the latest technology. Would be a lot easier, but then i suppose competiton does make us stronger and makes each company try raise the bar; be it graphics, gameplay or online features.

For now, it would appear that Nintendo won the battle. But i don't think they have won the war! I don't think anything can be taken from what three great companies have achieved and the millions who have had their lives affected by these fabulous next-gen consoles. Only problem is when the next load come out, the same thing will happen again!
Tue 19/08/08 at 18:11
Regular
"THFC"
Good point simian - but i do not mean console war in general. It just seems the next gen console war has died down. There will always be a debate between consoles etc, but i am talking more about the present, due to the points we both touched on about multi-format games are more popular now than ever before.

I really agree with the whole old school wars were better, even the characters were seen as rivals and has followed through to present days. We do not have that anymore. While everyone will always have different points, i have noticed that i have not seen so many topics about all of the console war stuff.

But very good points to everyone who has posted and i really enjoyed reading everyones views and opinions.
Tue 19/08/08 at 17:32
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
I can see in the next generation, Sony and MS will try to cash in on the casual/family gaming that Wii has proved is a money maker. Infact they are starting to play about with it at the moment - hitting the PS3 soon is Little Big Planet, which is very much aimed at everyone, and Microsoft are even bringing in their own 'wii miis' in the form of Avatars.

In my opinion, the 'console wars' of recent are incredibly small compared to the days of the Sega and Nintendo - especially as a lot of the games for the 360 and PS3 are multi-format, and unless you are extremely picky (i.e. you live on the Gamefaqs boards and are riddled with fanboyism), they are pretty much on par with each other. Of course, there will always be a select number of format-exclusive games which divide folks between each system, but I think it helps as it promotes creativity and competivity - better games will come out, to out do each other, to which, at the end of the day, the consumer is the winner, with all the choice available to him/her.

The Wii, on the other hand, is a bit of a different beast - apart from the great first party, and a few third party games, most of the software is just shovelware (Carnival Games, and the like), coupled with slightly turbo-charged gamecube graphics, and to be honest, and rather lack-lustre online support (friend codes? for every bleeding game?), it IS the best selling console, and you'll be more than likely find this in the average house, compared to the two rivals.

The Wii also seems to be catering for a bit of a broader audience, and is also cheaper than its competitors, so it actually seems like a bystander to the two more 'hardcore-gamer' market. This, I feel is a good thing, as there are many, like me, who have an xbox360/PS3,and a Wii, which adds a bit more variety to gaming.

To come back to your title of your thread, 'How the Console War Faded Out', don't think it has, and I think think it ever will. Why? Because for those people who own one console, they will always support it first before any of the others. A few folks who one a single console dislike seeing anyone tarnishing the name of it, so they reply in forums in a fan-boy manner. Hardware-wise, the war won't fade out, for as I stated earlier, MS and PS3 have clearly seen the huge success of the more casual-focused Nintendo, and are already trying to emulate this, which will of course lead to rivalry.

I think the real question now is whether the big companies of Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony are are going to head into a lighter, more family and casual gaming enviroment for the next gen, and will there still be a big enough market (looking at the most recent sales) for the next 'traditional' consoles after the 360 and PS3?
Tue 19/08/08 at 15:36
Regular
"THFC"
or we could all hope that Freeola come into lots and lots of spare money, and decide to give £100 vouchers each day lol.
Tue 19/08/08 at 15:25
"possibly impossible"
Certainly I do feel the same way, that I'd be lost without all of them. I've had all the top consoles since the days of the Megadrive and SNES (and Atari ST and Amiga at the time) and still do, though it'll be harder with the next generation unless I win the lottery or fall on some good luck somehow!
Tue 19/08/08 at 15:20
Regular
"THFC"
pb wrote:
> I don't think it's really died down, just changed. Looking at
> IGN, Computerandvideogames and Eurogamer forums, there are still
> plenty of fanboys baying for blood.
>
> Having one console will be bad for consumers, though, as it will
> allow one company to take charge with no reason to improve
> hardware and no competition to improve software titles or provide
> extras to entice the customer.

Yea i see a few posts here and there about it, but i mean nothing like it was a year or so ago, it used to be every 4 topics lol

Yea there would be pros and cons, but then is that not the case for everything. I am happy with three, just need my X-box and i will be a happy little bunny!
Tue 19/08/08 at 15:16
"possibly impossible"
I don't think it's really died down, just changed. Looking at IGN, Computerandvideogames and Eurogamer forums, there are still plenty of fanboys baying for blood.

Having one console will be bad for consumers, though, as it will allow one company to take charge with no reason to improve hardware and no competition to improve software titles or provide extras to entice the customer.
Tue 19/08/08 at 15:00
Regular
"THFC"
About a year ago everything was up in the air, most gamers were either a Playstation fan, or a X-box fan. With some sitting in the middle, and Nintendo creeping up and making a huge impact on release. It has all died down a lot now and things have settled. We still have some people who hate Sony, some that cant stand Microsoft. Then the inbetweeners like myself who like all the avaliable consoles.

Because lets face it, not one of them is perfect and we all like ceratin things better than others. If we all like the same thing it would be a bit boring! So while some people will enjoy the interactive fun of the wii, others will hate it and think it is too childish and only Microsoft are getting good games etc etc...

But we have heard all about this before. So i went out and had a little look at how it had all settled down, what the sales of each console had to say about it and what we could expect in the future!

The Sales
For the companies this is one of the biggest factors, because if the sales don't stack up, their part of the Market Share is being lost and things could all start to go wrong. People also buy into figures, if one console was seen to be the best seller and most popular, ceratin shoppers go for the more popular console.
Anyway, here are the sales (worldwide, as accurate as can be)
X-Box 360:19,842,052
Playstation 3:10,852,857
Wii:22,732,706

The Wii really made a huge impact at Christmas and due to its "low" price it sold better than anyone anticipated. I was lucky enough to grab one in the early stages, aswlel as getting my hands on the discontinued Ps3 60GB. As many of you know i am now saving for an X-box 360, because i believe each console has something great to offer.

The Playstation is still not that old and so many games coming out will inspire a surge of purchases i would imagine, but it seems Microsoft are so much more willing to spend the extra money to improve things. Not saying Sony are cheap or trying to cut corners, i think they are just relying a bit more on the name.

I think the what was a once vicious debate of who had the best console, has now settled down nicely into one big gaming community with so many games being multi-format. I know the "hardcore" fan boys are disgusted with the likes of Final Fantasy 13 on X-box, but does it really matter at the end of the day. At least it means i can talk to more poeple about a game i enjoy.

Wouldn't it be lovely if one day there was only one console, so you had the biggest choice possible, the best hardware, the latest technology. Would be a lot easier, but then i suppose competiton does make us stronger and makes each company try raise the bar; be it graphics, gameplay or online features.

For now, it would appear that Nintendo won the battle. But i don't think they have won the war! I don't think anything can be taken from what three great companies have achieved and the millions who have had their lives affected by these fabulous next-gen consoles. Only problem is when the next load come out, the same thing will happen again!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.