GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Why Xbox Live gaming should be free for all"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/08/08 at 12:03
Regular
Cnet

I don't have any experience with playing online with the current consoles. I did play on the Xbox and found it very good. I tried it on the Playstation 2 and it was awful and I gave up.

I'm not sure how things are for the PS3 and Wii, any good? Should Microsoft consider getting rid of the membership if the PS3 and Wii improve?

There's been a lot of articles lately about the Xbox not doing so well and the PS3 doing much better. Is it true that I can replace the harddrive of the PS3 with any old drive, but with the 360 I have to buy one of their drives?
Fri 22/08/08 at 18:13
Regular
"Mooching around"
I tried using Connect24, my Wii has blown out 3 fuses because of it.
Fri 22/08/08 at 15:50
Regular
I stopped reading that article when it suggested that lost revenue could be made up by advertising. Will adverts find their way into every aspect of our lives?

As for the consoles online, I've used a PS3 (at all). I have played on friends 360 online, and love the fact you can download demos. It is also very quick and easy to find friends and get into games etc. If I owned a 360, I would happily pay the £35 or whatever it is for Live.

On the Wii, the online is crap. Mario Kart plays alright, but it's the sodding friend codes which are an absolute pain. I would pay for an online Wii service, if it gave something close to Xbox Live. In fact, I'd be happy if they started charging (a sensible amount) as it would then give them the funds to improve the service. Wii Connect24, isn't. Browsing the shop is slow & clunky because of this. If it's connect 24/7 why does it not cache pages so when you are using some of the online functions, you don't have to wait 10 minutes for each page to load?
Thu 21/08/08 at 10:47
"possibly impossible"
The PS3 network is still in it's infancy, there are new tweaks and addons being added all the time, but it still has a little way to go to catch up with Live.

Live set a standard and it's clear why MS needed to charge for it. The CNET article has a point, in that Sony is indeed catching up and I'm sure the lack of cost for online play might be a factor with some people, but that doesn't really mean that MS should just drop the fee, they need to offer discounts for annual subscription and possibly free films or points with it for those that set up a direct debit or buy a year subscription maybe, just like games magazines do.

Just as Sony improves their online network, MS can still do the same, they haven't really reached any sort of peak yet and have loads of stuff to add. They will be including a whole new Avatar system (read: copy of Wii Mii) and improving the front end for a start in the Autumn update. Ok, so they tend to have just 4 updates each year, opposed to Sony's seemingly endless Firmware update system, but I guess the plus side is that you don't have to wait 15 minutes for the firmware to update every time you turn the console on! (ok, once every 10 turn-ons maybe).

So, should they make it free? I don't think so at the moment, maybe when Sony's service is even better...
Wed 20/08/08 at 01:15
Regular
Hey, you get what you pay for. No-one would pay for the current service Nintendo are providing. The only decent game online is Mario Kart. Smash is horrible.
Tue 19/08/08 at 18:08
Regular
"I like turtles"
I pay around 50p a week for Xbox live and think its very good value for money.Sure,free would be better but not if it affected the service.The dedicated Unreal Tournament 3 servers for example have been a joy to play on.Doubt Midway would have set them up and run them for free ?.
Tue 19/08/08 at 12:28
Regular
Wii online is awful at best, the whole friend code system is terrible. But oh well.

Can't speak for PS3 as I've never played it online.

XBOX 360 is awesome online, but my only complaint is as we pay for it there really should be more regular updates and tweaks, e.g. private voice chat for more than 2 people at a time :|
Tue 19/08/08 at 12:03
Regular
Cnet

I don't have any experience with playing online with the current consoles. I did play on the Xbox and found it very good. I tried it on the Playstation 2 and it was awful and I gave up.

I'm not sure how things are for the PS3 and Wii, any good? Should Microsoft consider getting rid of the membership if the PS3 and Wii improve?

There's been a lot of articles lately about the Xbox not doing so well and the PS3 doing much better. Is it true that I can replace the harddrive of the PS3 with any old drive, but with the 360 I have to buy one of their drives?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.