GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Here's a Little Story For You All..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 04/12/00 at 21:13
Regular
The idea came from a reply to my "the very very far away future of gaming" topic. The reply was from Dan_uk, so this one's dedicated to him.

I was round my Gran and Grandad's playing Brian Lara Cricket on the PC. I was doing really well at batting, I had something like 168 for no wickets. I went to the toilet and then went to grab a bite to eat (sugar), when I came back I saw that my score was now: 168 for 8 wickets. I went downstairs and my Grandad had told me he had been trying to play it. It was his own game, he'd had it for 3 weeks, I had taught him the controls endlessly, and he still didn't know what the "hit" button was!!!
It just shows that grandparents really aren't ready for this sort of thing. I think they much prefer those old radios they used to use.
I was a little annoyed, but still. No offence to my grandad though, he ALWAYS beats meat Chess. {:)
Thanks for reading, Ant.
Wed 06/12/00 at 12:32
"possibly impossible"
you're all sick!

Suppose I'd better join the club then. ;-)
Tue 05/12/00 at 23:48
"High polygon count"
My dad used to play with me when I was a kid...

No, better rephrase that...

My dad used to take part in two-player video games when I was younger, but never really got into them.

Now he just tends to look on in awe at the progress they've made, but rarely - if ever - has a go. He often says he wishes he kept up with things though, as they 'look like fun' and he'd like to offer a challenge.

Truth is, though, he usually gets whooped - even if I go easy on him. He could just about manage an old Quickshot joystick with two buttons; when I show him the combinations of buttons needed for something like Tomb Raider or SSX, *as well* as the joystick movements, he doesn't even bother trying!
Tue 05/12/00 at 23:41
My mum (also bless :) thinks she's ace at Ridge Racer. And she would be if it were a pinball game...
Tue 05/12/00 at 23:38
"High polygon count"
> Nice to know that if he can't beat Lara he can always beat his
> meat.

Oh, how we laughed! :-)
Tue 05/12/00 at 23:34
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Nice to know that if he can't beat Lara he can always beat his meat. Should there have been a space there, Ant?

All this actually shows is that 'your' grandparents aren't really ready for this sort of thing. You should't generalise. My mum (bless) who is, well, let's just say she has her bus pass, can play Gran Turismo quite well, she has even got to level 3 on her first licence. And her 3-point turns are something to behold. And she worries about denting her car.

OK, maybe you were right.
Mon 04/12/00 at 21:13
Regular
"I like cheese"
The idea came from a reply to my "the very very far away future of gaming" topic. The reply was from Dan_uk, so this one's dedicated to him.

I was round my Gran and Grandad's playing Brian Lara Cricket on the PC. I was doing really well at batting, I had something like 168 for no wickets. I went to the toilet and then went to grab a bite to eat (sugar), when I came back I saw that my score was now: 168 for 8 wickets. I went downstairs and my Grandad had told me he had been trying to play it. It was his own game, he'd had it for 3 weeks, I had taught him the controls endlessly, and he still didn't know what the "hit" button was!!!
It just shows that grandparents really aren't ready for this sort of thing. I think they much prefer those old radios they used to use.
I was a little annoyed, but still. No offence to my grandad though, he ALWAYS beats meat Chess. {:)
Thanks for reading, Ant.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.