GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Best and Worst random/impulse gaming buys!"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/08/08 at 00:14
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
I'm pretty sure with a lot of folks, there must have been a few impulse-bought games in their collection at some point - so list the best/worst of your purchases!

Have you randomly bought a game that you had not really heard about, only for you to be introduced to a great game series, e.g Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, etc?

Or have you picked up a game and purchase in cold, hard cash, played it for all of 5 mins, then curled up in a foetal position, crying and cursing the videogame industry for excreting something so dire?

My Best impulse Purchases:

Skies of Arcadia (GC) - One of my favourite JRPGs (shhh FF7, I love you too) and definitely a great, random purchase, considering the only information I knew about it was on the back of the case. I wished that this was continued as a series - you can't go wrong with a flying pirate ship-themed game :D.

Lost Odyssey (XBOX360) - Bought this one recently in the highstreet. I just wanted an RPG on the 360, and found this gem. Previously unknown to me, this was a real surprise.

Twisted Metal 2 World Tour (PSX) - I believe this game was one of my first ever Playstation purchases, and I had no idea at the time what the hell it was about (well, apart from the cars with guns theme on the cover art) - I just picked it up off the shelves of a( now non-existant) indie game shop, and thought it looked fun. It was for a time, one of my favourite games as it was great multiplayer-fodder with all my mates.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PSX) - Another Playstation game. Bought purely because the cover looked good!

Worst impulse-bought games:

Frontlines: Fuel of War (pc) - What a disapointment! A random impulse buy (unfortunately, this is INCREDIBLY easy to do on Steam :P), followed up by 'hmmm, ah, its by the folks who did that fab Desert Combat mod for Battle Field 1942 - must be great!. Then, 'Oh. Hang on, this is perhaps one of the worst games I've ever played.' I even had the thing where you try to convince yourself that its still a good game, but deep down you realise its an abomination.
Tue 19/08/08 at 15:26
"possibly impossible"
hm, I thought Revenge was quite fun. The PSP Burnout Legends was the best, though, combining all the best from 1, 2 and 3.

I do like Burnout Paradise, but then it's a massive deviation from the standard format so it won't appeal to everyone.
Tue 19/08/08 at 13:13
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
The Reaper wrote:
> Burnout: Revenge - This is where the franchise fell into the crap
> pile in my opinion. An absolutly terrible game, with limited
> multiplayer and a God awful "story" line.
>

Agreed. For me Burnout 2 was the best - the days before EA's grasp on the series.
Tue 19/08/08 at 10:24
Regular
"THFC"
They do look good and i am sure that Square will want a big hitter. I just want a good RPG on playstation 3..... White knight Chronicles could be my best option, when ever that game comes out
Tue 19/08/08 at 10:14
Regular
"Mooching around"
Emmie87 wrote:
> The Reaper wrote:
>
> Final Fantasy 7 - Yes, this was an impulse buy, back when I was
> a young kid with money from my birthday :P To this day I hold
> it
> as one of the greatest games of all time.
>
> You truly are a wise man. If you enjoy RPG's then this has to be
> in your top games list, everything about it is just great. a very
> happy 50 hours playing through the epic story and battling great
> enemies!

Oh yeah, easily in the top games list. I only wish my friends were more open minded.

> Hmmmmm...... it may have to be put in the playstation again
> soon, i just hope 13 is going to be a good game aswell. Was not
> the biggest fan of 12 but enjoyed it for what it was.

I'm really looking forward to both XIII and versus XIII, I really hope they can live up to my hype :P
Tue 19/08/08 at 09:28
Regular
"THFC"
The Reaper wrote:
>
> Final Fantasy 7 - Yes, this was an impulse buy, back when I was
> a young kid with money from my birthday :P To this day I hold it
> as one of the greatest games of all time.

You truly are a wise man. If you enjoy RPG's then this has to be in your top games list, everything about it is just great. a very happy 50 hours playing through the epic story and battling great enemies!

Hmmmmm...... it may have to be put in the playstation again soon, i just hope 13 is going to be a good game aswell. Was not the biggest fan of 12 but enjoyed it for what it was.
Tue 19/08/08 at 09:23
Regular
"Mooching around"
Burnout: Revenge - This is where the franchise fell into the crap pile in my opinion. An absolutly terrible game, with limited multiplayer and a God awful "story" line.

Final Fantasy 7 - Yes, this was an impulse buy, back when I was a young kid with money from my birthday :P To this day I hold it as one of the greatest games of all time.
Mon 18/08/08 at 13:58
Regular
"Hello?"
My worst purchase of late has to be Condemned 2, has the slight feel of resident evil but without the story to accompany. Avoid at all costs!
Mon 18/08/08 at 13:14
Regular
"THFC"
PC versions of games do tend to be a bit more prone to bugs. And obviousley different computers run them at different performance levels, so while one may be slick and fast the other can be laggy and unenjoyable!
Mon 18/08/08 at 13:06
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
pb wrote:
> Frontlines: Fuel of War? I love that game. Perhaps the PC
> version is messed up or something, but the 360 version is great.
> It's just a big playground with much more freedom than the
> Battlefield series and some great vehicles. In fact, it was an
> impulse buy off Amazon due to the Special Edition being cheaper
> than the full one and I'm glad I made it.
>
> Most of the time I tend to spend ages weighing up games
> purchases, though. That said, I recently got the Wii version of
> Sega Superstars Tennis, because it was new and cheap when I
> bought Mario Kart on pre-order. I ended up returning it for the
> same price though, so I never lost out.

Yep, the 360 version is far superior to the PC counterpart. The PC version was a let down as its terrible online, and has a huuuuuge amount of bugs, which mysteriously are mostly absent in the better 360 one.
Mon 18/08/08 at 12:29
"possibly impossible"
Frontlines: Fuel of War? I love that game. Perhaps the PC version is messed up or something, but the 360 version is great. It's just a big playground with much more freedom than the Battlefield series and some great vehicles. In fact, it was an impulse buy off Amazon due to the Special Edition being cheaper than the full one and I'm glad I made it.

Most of the time I tend to spend ages weighing up games purchases, though. That said, I recently got the Wii version of Sega Superstars Tennis, because it was new and cheap when I bought Mario Kart on pre-order. I ended up returning it for the same price though, so I never lost out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.